Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,091

4 members and 3,087 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Snakes with the most personality

I thought of doing a vote here, but too many possibilities to list.

My thought here is what snake species do you feel, or own, that has the most "personality." Not favorite, not most beautiful, but most "personality."

I have three snakes, a BP, a BCI, and a Corn Snake. I love them all and they are all beautiful and tame. However, my BCI, recently acquired, seems to be the best combination of docile, but inquisitive. She's interested in her surroundings, and when being handled, likes to move around, but in a seemingly focused and purposeful manner.

So I would have to say that my Boa has the most personality of all my snakes.

Would be interested to see what other people think.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

maausen (10-19-2017)

Thanks

Re: Snakes with the most personality

I don't own one, but I know that Retics are known for being very smart and there are even reports that they can recognize their keeper....don't know if that's true but I've heard it on more than one occasion.

Thanks
    Mines a toss up with my spider and lesser. My spider loves to be out once you get your hand to her in her tub, docile and calm. My lesser, when i open the tub will come out of his hide if he's not already out and proceed to come right out on my hand that i opened the tub with and on to my arm. He's probably the "sweetest".

0.1 75% Kalatoa 12.5% Jampea Super Dwarf Retic - Enyo
    0.1 62.5% Purple Phase Jampea - Eris
    1.0 Platron Sunfire Mainland - Hades
    0.1 Albino Suntiger - Xena
    0.1 Platinum Citron Sunfire Albino - Aphrodite

"Animals are not property or things but rather living organisms, subjects of a life, who are worthy of our compassion, respect, friendship and support."

Thanks
    I've handled corns, BCIs, and ball pythons and I would definitely say BCI seems to have the most personality. Corns seen to just dart all over the place, too active for me and ball pythons don't really want to explore, it seems like the motive for them is looking for a place to hide.

BCI are actually curious to me at least. The one I held was very sweet too, and although he was the biggest snake I ever held, I didn't feel threated by him at all. They're not too fast and not sluggish like a ball pythons either. Can't wait until the day I can own one!
    1.0- Pastel het Pied- Khaa

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Snakes with the most personality

Quote Originally Posted by PythonBabes View Post
    I've handled corns, BCIs, and ball pythons and I would definitely say BCI seems to have the most personality. Corns seen to just dart all over the place, too active for me and ball pythons don't really want to explore, it seems like the motive for them is looking for a place to hide.

BCI are actually curious to me at least. The one I held was very sweet too, and although he was the biggest snake I ever held, I didn't feel threated by him at all. They're not too fast and not sluggish like a ball pythons either. Can't wait until the day I can own one!

I have no complaints about my BCI. She's awesome. Beautiful, docile, a great eater, etc. She will be big though! She only 3 feet now, but I have a 6'X2' on order now with Boaphile.

I am actually having a reptile condo/apartment built so all my animals will be in 6'X2.' She is the only one that will need something that large though.

However, I did pick an incredibly docile animal and she will grow with us and should stay that way. I wouldn't want a 7 foot snake that weighed 10 pounds plus to be anything but sweet!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Lots of snakes have "personality" I think I have had Red Tail Boas, Brazilian Rainbow Boa, GTP's, Sand Boa, Blood Python, Rubber Boas (yes, there is such a thing), Ball Pythons, Carpet Pythons, Russian Ratsnakes.

Personality seemed more like an individual thing.

But if you want one that has not only personality but also watches what you do, is a "nosy" nelly, always up for an adventure, out and about, a good ole' buddy and so on, hands down the Russian Ratsnake !!!

Have yet to meet another snake that is so curious, nosy, fun, lets go have an adventure such as those snakes. I can't believe they aren't more popular..They are also more heavy bodied then most colubrids (once adults) and not as flighty.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Alicia (10-15-2017),Craiga 01453 (10-13-2017),dakski (10-13-2017),Godzilla78 (10-20-2017),hilabeans (10-19-2017),redshepherd (10-19-2017)

Thanks
    BCIs have a great personality. They make awesome pets, too
    1.0 Normal BP- Jenga
    1.0 Bumblebee BP - Jynx
    1.0 German Shepherd - Sif
    1.1 Mixed Breed Cats - Floyd and Meanie
    1.0 Suriname Red Tail Boa - Bowie

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    I was going to vote for Russian Rat Snakes (even though I only just got one!) but zina beat me to it! I've heard all those things about them from everyone who owns one.

Out of my older snakes, my scrub python has the most personality and awareness... of me, her surroundings, curiosity on what I'm doing and if I'm going to kill her/if she should bite me, active and alert, and the most intelligence on learning how things work as well as my schedule and behavior.

She's also really fast! Sometimes when I open the door to change her water, and she's on the other side of the cage chilling, she will immediately wake up and bolt toward the crack in the door and I have to shut it quickly! As if she was waiting for me to do that, and she clearly knows exactly where the door opens from. 0 to 100 LOL

Similarly, she also clearly understands where everything in her cage is located. My ball pythons and dumeril's boas often seem to forget where their hide entrances are when I put them back, slithering around in the corners... you guys know what I mean. But Pixie bolts straight back into the hidey hole, even from far outside the cage.

Plus, she exhibits an understanding of her cage as her "safe space" and understands the location/direction of it, somehow recognizing it from the outside... even when I am handling her somewhere else in the room. She sees it from afar and tries to reach back toward the opened door. While my ball pythons seem like they can't see past one foot in front of their noses LOL.

Now it just sounds like I'm bragging
    Last edited by redshepherd; 10-19-2017 at 11:25 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Alicia (10-20-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Hands down, retics. I love my boas and they do all have their own personalities but none are as pronounced as Caesar my retic. He pushes the door when he wants it open so he can hang out. When i pet him, he will literally put his head on my arm or lay his head next to my arm lol. If i boop him on the head, he will lay down right where he is like a scolded dog. Never seen a snake do that before. And when he gets cranky or i 'tickle' him and he isnt in the mood, he will push my hand away with his body. If i keep bugging him, he looks at me and then wanders to the closed door side of the cage haha.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (10-20-2017)

Thanks
    I can't imagine anything with more personality than a Western Hognose. One of my favorite parts of the day is waking up to see my biggest girl, Maybel. Her tank is right by my bed and she's always got her head sticking out of the hide entrance in the morning to peek around, wating for the sun to come up. I often see her slithering around her cage during the day too. Western Hogs are active and they do a lot of exploring. If I don't see her out and about it's either the day after her feeding day, or she's in shed.

She sometimes gets an attitude if I disturb her at the wrong time, and she made a fuss when I fed her live. She was raised on f/t, so live mice move too much for her liking. She ate them eventually though. Typical female Western Hog appetite. That said, she's usually pretty docile when there isn't food around.

They're more of a display snake than a handling snake, unless you like handling active snakes. I prefer the slower/more reclusive ones for handling, since I can sit and watch TV with them. If I tried that with Maybel she'd probably slither off while my head was turned and get halfway to the mouse room before I realized she was gone.

No guesswork with Western Hogs, that's for sure. If you upset them they will let you know.
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast