Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,893

3 members and 2,890 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Anyone here use Zoo Med Repti Bark?

As of right now I use Forrest Floor (cypress mulch). Seems good so far.
    Dewey
    He ain't scare of no things

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Over here in the uk , in my region ReptiBark looks to be the same stuff we get called Orchid Bark or Reptile Bark - either way in my opinion it's the best substrate by a mile . Looks great in the viv , makes most snakes look better colour-wise AND holds as much or as little humidity as you require .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Joci (10-13-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I use a mixture of eco-earth and repti-bark. works well for humidity as well as visually appealing and easy to spot clean.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (10-13-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    I use a mixture of eco-earth and repti-bark. works well for humidity as well as visually appealing and easy to spot clean.
    Agreed !
    Years ago I used your mixture for some BRBs - also had a lush layer of moss over the top though .

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-13-2017)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Agreed !
    Years ago I used your mixture for some BRBs - also had a lush layer of moss over the top though .

I add moss as well during dry months and during shed cycles. Looks good and helps with humidity.

Thanks

I will NEVER get on here and bash any product or company unless they actually deserve it.

With that being said, I know for a FACT that I've gotten a mite infestation from ZooMed Forest Floor Cypress before. Yup, the same stuff they sell at Petsmart.

Just so you're aware, If you want to use that stuff..... just heat treat it before (bake it in a disposable turkey pan at 325 degrees for 45 minutes, then let it cool off completely before using). The process to get rid of mites is not fun.

What enclosure are you using where you need your substrate to provide humidity?

.....years of experience on my end will tell you that the BEST possible thing you can do is invest in pvc cages (which hold humidity) and then you can use aspen, kraft paper, or newspaper all with roughly 50-60% humidity levels.

Using a glass tank leaves you with a constant uphill battle for humidity levels.....and you prevent a LOT of headaches by using a PVC cage.
    Last edited by KevinK; 10-13-2017 at 07:45 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

GiddyGoat (10-13-2017)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tinyballs View Post
    I will NEVER get on here and bash any product or company unless they actually deserve it.

With that being said, I know for a FACT that I've gotten a mite infestation from ZooMed Forest Floor Cypress before. Yup, the same stuff they sell at Petsmart.

Just so you're aware, If you want to use that stuff..... just heat treat it before (bake it in a disposable turkey pan at 325 degrees for 45 minutes, then let it cool off completely before using). The process to get rid of mites is not fun.

What enclosure are you using where you need your substrate to provide humidity?

.....years of experience on my end will tell you that the BEST possible thing you can do is invest in pvc cages (which hold humidity) and then you can use aspen, kraft paper, or newspaper all with roughly 50-60% humidity levels.

Using a glass tank leaves you with a constant uphill battle for humidity levels.....and you prevent a LOT of headaches by using a PVC cage.
    Trust me, I would love to switch to PVC, but it's just not in everybody's budget. I have years of experience as well, and have had ZERO issues with glass. Yes, from everything I read PVC is easier, but I've been keeping snakes in glass for years and will be for at least a while longer.

Treating any substrate prior to use is also a good practice because mites can piggy back home on almost any product.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Joci (10-13-2017)

Thanks

All I can tell you is my individual experiences.

If I buy a 40 gallon breeder tank. Spend MAYBE $30-$40 if you get a GOOD deal on a used one. New? ....$60-$100
    Buy a heat pad. $20+
    Buy a rheo/therm for the heat pad. $20-$100
    Buy a lamp fixture. $20
    Buy a rheo for the lamp fixture. $20-$50
    Buy a basking lamp/ ceramic/ red bulb. Then replace that bad boy every few months. $15-$30 every two months....if not more. CHE is the best option, and they are not cheap.
    Buy new, humidity-holding bedding every few months. Constantly spray the enclosure for you humidity levels.

If you do the math, and consider the long-term costs. A PVC does save you money, and initially costs nearly the same as a glass unless you REALLY try to price shop.

The only reason I continue to push them SO much is that they saved me both MONEY and a TON of time. Best investment I've ever made for my animals.

To each their own however.
    Last edited by KevinK; 10-13-2017 at 08:16 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Some species do wonderful in glass, some do not. I am finally down to one snake, one pet actually and can finally justify switching to PVC. I would have done this years ago if the availability of PVC was as plentiful as it is today. Not that long ago getting a PVC or even fiberglass enclosure was a large ordeal upwards of $600+ just for the cage. Finally the cost is actually cheaper total than the headache and cost of glass. I think the days of glass enclosures are numbered but at least we have affordable options instead of being pretty much relegated to one medium.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks

This is my first snake that I purchased in back in August when I wasn’t even aware that there was another option besides glass.

The humidity is fine, I’d just rather it be a little more self-sustaining. I am currently using paper towels, which aren’t very aesthetically pleasing lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ball Pythons

1.0 Normal (Fírnen)

Wishlist
    Pokigron Suriname BCC
    Mexican Black Kingsnake

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast