Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,972

2 members and 2,970 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Tips to convert to frozen?

I'm new to the hobby and received my first bp last Tuesday. He's a one month old BEL and I'm in love. I gave him a week to adjust and attempted to feed yesterday. Previously his breeder had been feeding him live hopper mice, however I'd like to convert to f/t. I fed him at night, heating up the frozen hopper for around two hours in warm water. I placed the bucket next to his tank so he could smell it. When the mouse was ready, I doused it in hot water for ten seconds and offered it to my bp. He alternated between sniffing and hissing it, taking a few strikes that either missed or seemed to be defensive. After half an hour I left the mouse at the entrance to his hide overnight. He wanted nothing to do with it.

Should I attempt the same thing next week or do something different? Did I not wait long enough? Like I said, I'm pretty new to the hobby and while I've done my research, I feel that advice from those who are more knowledgeable never hurts! I'm also not opposed to feeding live to get him started, but I really would like to get him on f/t.

Tank specs:

10 gal
    Hot side temp ranges between 85-95 degrees F
    Cool side temp usually around 75 degrees F
    Humidity comfortably between 50-65 degrees
    He has two hides, one on each side, a heat mat on the hot side, and a water bowl on the cool side.

Thank you you for taking the time to read this! Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    I would let him settle in before drastically changing diet and feeding habits. One week is hardly long enough to acclimate a ball python to a new environment. It might also be best to feed him live until he is settled in because form your brief description it sounds more like stressed defensive posturing than anything.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks

Re: Tips to convert to frozen?

Thank you for responding so quickly! I'll make sure to let him be for another week before tying again, and if again there's no success I'll attempt feeding live.

Thanks

It sounds like you're trying to feed a wet mouse also, if so you might try thawing and heating inside a Ziploc and feeding dry. I was able to switch mine over three days after I got her through FedEx. Now she doesn't care, wet/ dry, butt first or folded in half, she gobbles em up like candy. I don't have personal experience but have seen posts that some snakes won't touch a wet mouse.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Not sure if you've successfully converted over, but this video helped me a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSX79DpN2b8

I got a BEL hatchling as well that was also on live mouse hoppers. I also left a F/T in my BEL's tub overnight and she did take it on the first offering. A week after I left the F/T, with the above method, she's striking and coiling like a champ, and eating regularly. Good luck!
    Last edited by Quahog; 10-17-2017 at 10:53 AM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I defrost my rodents for my danger noodle in lukewarm water and then use a hair dryer to dry and warm them. It works wonders for me, just taking extra time making sure they are dry has taken my male phantom past 1kg.