Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 705

2 members and 703 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Questions On Nicaraguan Dwarf Boa.

For my FUTURE snake I am planning on getting an Nicaraguan Dwarf Boa, I want to know some stuff and it'll be nice to know some stuff so I can come back to it....

REMINDER: This is for a snake that I wanna get in the FUTURE.
    Ball Pythons: 0.0.1 Axel/ Leopard Geckos: 1.0 Demyx/ Dogs: 0.1 Butterfly, 0.1 Prissy, 0.1 Shelby 10. Vortex/ Cats: 0.1 Izzie, 0.1 Isabella/ Chicken: 1.0 Big Red

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Husbandry is just like any other boa imperator, they just don't get as large as the non-locality common or morph varieties.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Axel28 (10-12-2017)

Thanks

Re: Questions On Nicaraguan Dwarf Boa.

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Husbandry is just like any other boa imperator, they just don't get as large as the non-locality common or morph varieties.
    Alright, Imma do some research then. Thank you.
    Ball Pythons: 0.0.1 Axel/ Leopard Geckos: 1.0 Demyx/ Dogs: 0.1 Butterfly, 0.1 Prissy, 0.1 Shelby 10. Vortex/ Cats: 0.1 Izzie, 0.1 Isabella/ Chicken: 1.0 Big Red

Thanks
    Check out the subspecies and locality information on Cutting Edge Herp. Vin Russo's Website.

His book The Complete Boa Constrictor is great as well and worth the purchase price. Good pics and information on all localities and sub species.

Legacy Reptiles also has good photos of the different localities.

When / If you are ready to purchase, purchase from a breeder with tracable lines and lineage records... Lines going back to either of the breeders I've mentioned here should be good. There are a lot of mis-represented boas on the market and you do not want to purchase from a retail place like LLL, BHB, Underground, etc... they have cheap prices, but they purchase their snakes from breeders and their labeling is sometimes not accurate. A cross can get as large as a common boa, so it is important to know that you are buying what you want.

Setup and other husbandry is the same as other boas.

I have a Central American motley (basically a Nic. cross that isn't tracable back to Nicaragua) and he is a lot smaller than my common hypo and BCA.

CA and Nic. boas (and the smaller island localities) tend to be more defensive / nippy than their larger cousins, so expect that. That said, my CA motley has the same temperament as my others, so I got lucky.

As far as caging, etc. Boas need more room than a BP usually, as they are typically more active. a 4'x2'x15" (or taller) pvc cage with a climbing shelf or branch, etc. is pretty standard for housing adult males. My CA motley will be getting a cage like this, just as my other two boas have. The cage is pretty expensive, so housing in tubs at first or a rack while the boa grows is fine. You could also probably move one straight into a cage, even when small, with no issues. Boas tend to be bolder than BPs.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

6. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Axel28 (10-12-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    Check out the subspecies and locality information on Cutting Edge Herp. Vin Russo's Website.

His book The Complete Boa Constrictor is great as well and worth the purchase price. Good pics and information on all localities and sub species.

Legacy Reptiles also has good photos of the different localities.

When / If you are ready to purchase, purchase from a breeder with tracable lines and lineage records... Lines going back to either of the breeders I've mentioned here should be good. There are a lot of mis-represented boas on the market and you do not want to purchase from a retail place like LLL, BHB, Underground, etc... they have cheap prices, but they purchase their snakes from breeders and their labeling is sometimes not accurate. A cross can get as large as a common boa, so it is important to know that you are buying what you want.

Setup and other husbandry is the same as other boas.

I have a Central American motley (basically a Nic. cross that isn't tracable back to Nicaragua) and he is a lot smaller than my common hypo and BCA.

CA and Nic. boas (and the smaller island localities) tend to be more defensive / nippy than their larger cousins, so expect that. That said, my CA motley has the same temperament as my others, so I got lucky.

As far as caging, etc. Boas need more room than a BP usually, as they are typically more active. a 4'x2'x15" (or taller) pvc cage with a climbing shelf or branch, etc. is pretty standard for housing adult males. My CA motley will be getting a cage like this, just as my other two boas have. The cage is pretty expensive, so housing in tubs at first or a rack while the boa grows is fine. You could also probably move one straight into a cage, even when small, with no issues. Boas tend to be bolder than BPs.
    Wow, thank you for all the information!

Registered User Slytherin's Mommy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Axel28 View Post
    For my FUTURE snake I am planning on getting an Nicaraguan Dwarf Boa, I want to know some stuff and it'll be nice to know some stuff so I can come back to it....

REMINDER: This is for a snake that I wanna get in the FUTURE.
    lol that's just like I was not going to get a second snake!! But now I have a month old El Salvador Dwarf Boa.. lol

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Slytherin's Mommy For This Useful Post:

Axel28 (10-12-2017)