Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,136

1 members and 3,135 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

I Just Wanted To Post A Little Something.

So, hehe, I wanted to post something that everyone gonna say, "Slow Down" or "I Told You So's"

I want another snake and this time I want a Brazilian Rainbow Boa....
    Some are gonna ask "How are you gonna do it?" and that is honestly a simple question.... I am gonna work around the house for extra money AND get a job.
    Now, I am living in my parents home, so, I have to respect there rules, but my logic is if I work around the house AND get a job, there is a chance my dad will let me get one. No, I haven't talked to him about, he makes me nervous.... but if I do right maybe i'll be fine. So, all this being said, what do y'all think? I know I need to do research and I am gonna do research. (After dinner.)

Anyways, any advice and info would be great, thanks!
    Ball Pythons: 0.0.1 Axel/ Leopard Geckos: 1.0 Demyx/ Dogs: 0.1 Butterfly, 0.1 Prissy, 0.1 Shelby 10. Vortex/ Cats: 0.1 Izzie, 0.1 Isabella/ Chicken: 1.0 Big Red

Thanks

Re: I Just Wanted To Post A Little Something.

Of course, I am gonna watch Axel grow up into a Big BP, before I go for another snake. Just to clear that up, plus I doubt my dad is gonna go for it.
    Ball Pythons: 0.0.1 Axel/ Leopard Geckos: 1.0 Demyx/ Dogs: 0.1 Butterfly, 0.1 Prissy, 0.1 Shelby 10. Vortex/ Cats: 0.1 Izzie, 0.1 Isabella/ Chicken: 1.0 Big Red

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    i'm not too knowledgeable on BRBs but their husbandry needs are much more complicated than beeps, and to me that's really saying something. as babies they need 100% humidity, like, all the time.

i'd say that's going to be your biggest obstacle with a BRB: proper husbandry. i say you need to get a few years under your belt learning proper husbandry for your new beep before you think about another species with more complicated needs.

also, slow down there. jk!
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Axel28 (10-09-2017),Craiga 01453 (10-09-2017),MD_Pythons (10-10-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    i'm not too knowledgeable on BRBs but their husbandry needs are much more complicated than beeps, and to me that's really saying something. as babies they need 100% humidity, like, all the time.

i'd say that's going to be your biggest obstacle with a BRB: proper husbandry. i say you need to get a few years under your belt learning proper husbandry for your new beep before you think about another species with more complicated needs.

also, slow down there. jk!
    I would probably have to use a tub for a BRB. lol I already do my best on Axels Humidity (Which is doing good.)

I probably won't go for a BRB anyway, Number 1. Is I do got my eyes set on another Ball Python Morph, and that would be a Piebald. lol 2. Is I do need alot more experience and I understand that.

Lol, I am. lol

Thank you for your advice and I will wait about a year or so to actually get another Ball Python. (Hopefully I have moved out or my dad is kind enough to let me get another.)
    Last edited by Axel28; 10-09-2017 at 06:22 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Something else to think about is that these animals live long lives. You won't be living in your parent's house forever. College dorms and many apartments don't allow snakes. Many people need roommates to afford a place to live, not all roommates will be cool with snakes. So until your living situation is figured out for the foreseeable future it's probably best to wait. It would SUCK to have to rename your snake. I had to rehome my animals about 15 years ago due to my inability to properly care for them (I'm an alcoholic and drug addict who is getting close to 5 years clean and sober) and saying goodbye to animals SUCKS, to this day it still breaks my heart.

As tempting as it is to add more, I personally think your best bet is to gain experience and knowledge with the snake you have. Then, when the time is right and finances and everything else are in check, add another. Keep in mind, one vet bill can be a month's rent, so if finances are tight, one vet bill could really make life difficult.

Trust me, I understand your temptation and desire. I want more too, but for now I have my limitations and am happy to have the snakes I have. I am 38, have my own house, am a kitchen manager for a group of 3 restaurants, and am pretty solid and secure, but still have limitations and live within them. I'll know when the time is right to add another, and when that time comes you'd better believe I will add another

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Axel28 (10-09-2017),cron14 (10-09-2017),Kira (10-09-2017),MissterDog (10-09-2017),Sunnieskys (10-10-2017),tttaylorrr (10-09-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Something else to think about is that these animals live long lives. You won't be living in your parent's house forever. College dorms and many apartments don't allow snakes. Many people need roommates to afford a place to live, not all roommates will be cool with snakes. So until your living situation is figured out for the foreseeable future it's probably best to wait. It would SUCK to have to rename your snake. I had to rehome my animals about 15 years ago due to my inability to properly care for them (I'm an alcoholic and drug addict who is getting close to 5 years clean and sober) and saying goodbye to animals SUCKS, to this day it still breaks my heart.

As tempting as it is to add more, I personally think your best bet is to gain experience and knowledge with the snake you have. Then, when the time is right and finances and everything else are in check, add another. Keep in mind, one vet bill can be a month's rent, so if finances are tight, one vet bill could really make life difficult.

Trust me, I understand your temptation and desire. I want more too, but for now I have my limitations and am happy to have the snakes I have. I am 38, have my own house, am a kitchen manager for a group of 3 restaurants, and am pretty solid and secure, but still have limitations and live within them. I'll know when the time is right to add another, and when that time comes you'd better believe I will add another
    Thank you for the advice and all.

I, of course, thought about it after posting this thread and I am, of course, gonna wait. lol

Plus, I know losing animals hurts, I am probably about to lose my oldest dog. We think it is from cancer and we don't have the money for vet vists and that is why I am trying to get a job, so, if I need, I can take Axel to the vet.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axel28 View Post
    Thank you for the advice and all.

I, of course, thought about it after posting this thread and I am, of course, gonna wait. lol

Plus, I know losing animals hurts, I am probably about to lose my oldest dog. We think it is from cancer and we don't have the money for vet vists and that is why I am trying to get a job, so, if I need, I can take Axel to the vet.

Good thinking. It's probably best to wait.

So sorry to hear about your dog, I'm not the praying type, but you and your dog are in my thoughts.

Keep doing what you're doing, you're shaping up to be a great snake keeper.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 10-09-2017 at 07:05 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Axel28 (10-09-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Good thinking. It's probably best to wait.

So sorry to hear about your dog, I'm not the praying type, but you and your dog are in my thoughts.

Keep doing what you're doing, you're shaping up to be a great snake keeper.

I am not a praying type either, so, no worries. But I do also have you in my thoughts.

And thank you, I am glad you think so. What you said gave me more confidence.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    slow down!

:d
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 10-09-2017 at 07:15 PM.

Thanks
    I think if you're interested in other BP morphs, then maybe a small rack would be a better 2nd step. If you already have a good tstat, then you get a tub, you can have a couple more BPs without any extra work or other special needs. Just more food, and cleaning up poo for more pets lol.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MmmBanana For This Useful Post:

Axel28 (10-10-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast