Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,900

2 members and 2,898 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Best Animal Plastics setup?

I have a 2 year old ball python, and I'm planning to replace his tank with an Animal Plastics enclosure.

I talked to Animal Plastics employees at their vendor booth at the NARBC this past weekend. They gave me a lot of great information, but they did make it clear that they liked to leave the decisions up to the buyers, as they themselves are not animal keepers. I just want to get and idea of the experience others have had with their products.

They suggested a T3 cage (36L x 24D x 12H) for a full grown male ball python. They could install Flexwatt belly heat on the bottom, and suggested I contact Pro-productswho would install a heat panel before AP even ships me the cage. I asked them if I still would need to have the 8.5" circle screen installed for a heat lamp, or at the very least, extra ventilation.

They told me that the vent at the back of the cage should be sufficient for ventilation, but I COULD have the circle screen installed on the top. Are three heat sources overkill? Of course, they would all be attached to thermostats, but I'd rather just use the panel and belly heat, if that would be sufficient. I'm scared of getting the enclosure made, and then I realize I do or don't want the circle screen later. It's going to cost around $300, so I want to make sure I get it right.

They could also install florescent or LED lights, which would of course just provide the cage with light.

If it would provide him with enough heat (and air) I would not get the circle screen, and just get the panel and belly heat. Also, does Pro-products install the heat panel on the top, or on the side? I've gotten conflicting information.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Moshimaru For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (10-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Get the T8. If your house or the room it will be in is not a constant temperature year round you may look into a RHP to heat the enclosure. You can get the flexwatt heat tape they sell or another brand to offer for under tank heating. The RHP is always attached to the top of the inside of the enclosure. Alternative to pro producte is reptile basics.

Don't get the screen it is not needed. Definitely get the LED option for $40

If you go with two heat sources get a herpstat 2 to control them. You will never need more than two heat sources.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (10-11-2017),jmcrook (10-12-2017),MissterDog (10-11-2017),Moshimaru (10-13-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Best Animal Plastics setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Moshimaru View Post

They told me that the vent at the back of the cage should be sufficient for ventilation, but I COULD have the circle screen installed on the top. Are three heat sources overkill?
    I would say 3 heat sources are indeed overkill. I can't see you needing more than a RHP and belly heat, most just use a RHP.

Also, I agree with SDA. Skip the cirlcular screen and invest in the LED light option. Additionally, go with a T-8 or even better, a T-10. The T-8 is on sale for (ironically) less than the T3 and gives you another foot of space. I personally have come not to like 12" caging though. While the height is probably fine for the snakes, I find 12" with subtrate and everything to be too short to do things in the cage and is less aesthetically pleasing for viewing purposes, though you can fit more snakes in a stack that way. For $45 more, the extra height is totally worth it.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Regius_049 For This Useful Post:

DavidNDC (11-08-2017),KevinK (10-12-2017),MissterDog (10-11-2017),Moshimaru (10-13-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    Something else to keep in mind is the interior dimensions are about 2 inches shorter, so I'm seconding T10 for ease of access and cleaning.

also thirding the LED lights!
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (10-11-2017),Moshimaru (10-13-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I keep my ball python (and boas) in T10's with RHP's and controlled by Herpstat. Having that extra height for cleaning is nice. The ball python does utilize the shelf as well.
    Ball Python
    0.1 Lesser (Lucille) local pet store
    Boas
    0.1 Caulkers Cay (CC) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Sunglow het moonglow (Sonny) from Dustin Dirnberger
    1.0 BCI - DH Sharp Snow (Bob) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa (Babylon) from Ike Lightener (Ike's Exotics & Aquatics)
    Pythons
    0.0.1 Unknown/undocumented rescue (Roger)
    Northern White Lip (Solo)
    Cats

1.1 Domestic short hair (Esther and James)
    Snake Wishlist
    Drymarchon Malanurus (Black Tail Cribno)
    SD/D Retic
    Woma or Black Headed Python
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BR8080 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (10-11-2017),KevinK (10-12-2017),Moshimaru (10-13-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Go with a T10. I have 3 T10s, 3 T8s and 3 T25s and for my 4.5' female BP, i use a T10 with a shelf. T8s will work but i personally feel they are kind of short. I use them for my baby or juvenile boas but a T10 with a shelf will give your BP lots of stuff to do and they will use a shelf if provided with one.

As for heating, it depends how cold your room gets. If it stays above 75F, then flexwatt should be plenty. If it drops below 75F, then i would use a RHP.

And i would for sure get the LEDs installed. They look really nice and are clean and recessed into the top so there are not wires or anything for the snake to pull down.

You dont need any more venting than the supplied ones. Dont add any circle cut screens or anything.

RHPs are installed on the top inside of the cage on one side. If you opt for one over flexwatt, then you can have Pro Product drop ship it to AP and they will install it.

Personally all my cages are the same setup as in sliding glass doors, locks, LEDs, shelf and flexwatt.

Here is a pic of the T8s compared to T10s to give you an idea. The top 2 are T8s and the bottom 2 are T10s.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (10-12-2017),jmcrook (10-12-2017),KevinK (10-12-2017),Moshimaru (10-13-2017),XPLSV (01-14-2019)

Thanks

Nth-ing the advice to skip the screen. We have a bunch of T8s and other AP cages, and the snakes are all good with UTH and/or RHPs. If we didn’t have the T8s divided I’d have gotten shelves in them, all the snakes in non-divided cages have and use the shelves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

KevinK (10-12-2017),Moshimaru (10-13-2017)

Thanks

I run T8's with Pro Products RHP's.....and I've had them for six years without fail. Boas, balls, carpets.....and I've never had any digestive problems.

I haven't had any problems with a RHP being my only hear source.....and as a matter of fact thats what Pro Products recommended. There is plenty of heat transmitted into anything below the panel.

Three sources? WAY overkill. I wouldn't go with the circle screens but that's just me.

RHP'so alone will suffice, and if you're paranoid get flex watt as well.

There is a PERFECT amount of ventilation without the screens alone.....too much ventilation=low humidity in many climates.
    Last edited by KevinK; 10-12-2017 at 05:19 PM.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

cfd701 (01-12-2019),jmcrook (10-13-2017),Moshimaru (10-13-2017),XPLSV (01-14-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Go with a T10. I have 3 T10s, 3 T8s and 3 T25s and for my 4.5' female BP, i use a T10 with a shelf. T8s will work but i personally feel they are kind of short. I use them for my baby or juvenile boas but a T10 with a shelf will give your BP lots of stuff to do and they will use a shelf if provided with one.

As for heating, it depends how cold your room gets. If it stays above 75F, then flexwatt should be plenty. If it drops below 75F, then i would use a RHP.

And i would for sure get the LEDs installed. They look really nice and are clean and recessed into the top so there are not wires or anything for the snake to pull down.

You dont need any more venting than the supplied ones. Dont add any circle cut screens or anything.

RHPs are installed on the top inside of the cage on one side. If you opt for one over flexwatt, then you can have Pro Product drop ship it to AP and they will install it.

Personally all my cages are the same setup as in sliding glass doors, locks, LEDs, shelf and flexwatt.

Here is a pic of the T8s compared to T10s to give you an idea. The top 2 are T8s and the bottom 2 are T10s.
    That is so sweet! I wish I could junk my homemade rack and tub system and get THAT SETUP! Sadly I am broke... Someday.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    That is so sweet! I wish I could junk my homemade rack and tub system and get THAT SETUP! Sadly I am broke... Someday.
    So is Sauzo now - As am I after 5 T10's (ball python and 4 boas) and a T12 for my carpet all with PP RHP's and Herpstat. To think, I got my first snake Nov 2016...LOL
    Ball Python
    0.1 Lesser (Lucille) local pet store
    Boas
    0.1 Caulkers Cay (CC) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Sunglow het moonglow (Sonny) from Dustin Dirnberger
    1.0 BCI - DH Sharp Snow (Bob) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa (Babylon) from Ike Lightener (Ike's Exotics & Aquatics)
    Pythons
    0.0.1 Unknown/undocumented rescue (Roger)
    Northern White Lip (Solo)
    Cats

1.1 Domestic short hair (Esther and James)
    Snake Wishlist
    Drymarchon Malanurus (Black Tail Cribno)
    SD/D Retic
    Woma or Black Headed Python
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast