Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,059

2 members and 3,057 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Boston Terrier Breeders in Washington

I have a friend living in Washington state who is interested in a Boston terrier. She wants to get one from a good breeder who isn't running a puppy mill, but does not like the ones she has found online, mainly the ones that require you to sign a contract before you buy a puppy that says they can take the puppy back under certain conditions.

Does anyone know of a breeder that fits that description?
    "Your absence has gone through me like thread through a needle. Everything I do is stitched with its color."

-W.S. Merwin

Thanks

Re: Boston Terrier Breeders in Washington

Actually, that type of clause can be a sign of a good breeder, depending on what the conditions are (should be clearly listed in the contract), as it shows that the breeder is concerned about the pups after they go to new homes. Many rescues also have similar clauses in their contracts.

I’d also ask how often they’ve had to invoke the clause. If the conditions are for lack of care, etc., and the breeder has only rarely had to invoke it, I wouldn’t be concerned. I know someone who had dog taken back by a breeder, because the breeder decided she’d be a better show dog than one of the holdbacks, and the owners got one of the holdbacks in exchange, but it was hard giving up the pup they’d grown attached to. But that would be something you’d discuss up front, if you’re getting a potentially show-quality dog. My in-laws’ dog just came back from a show trip, will be going on another soon, and he has been kept intact as a possible stud, but my in-laws retain ownership, and worked out the agreement regarding showing and breeding with the breeder before they got the dog.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (12-19-2018)

Thanks
    Be careful. My girl friend and i were looking a boston a while back and pretty much everything online seemed like a scam. Make sure you don't send money to someone using something like walmart money grams or pay them in gift cards. Be carefull and do lots of research online about where ever you are considering buying from. My GF and I found our little dude the next state over. : ) best of luck!
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated
    1.0 High lines Red Tail Boa

Thanks
    If you guys were closer, I'd recommend Golden Sunset Boston Terriers in Rolla, MO! They do ship--which may be worth it--because their puppies are amazing. My sister and BIL have two, and this family REALLY cares about these animals. My sister just got a new pup about 2 months ago and she's still in contact with the breeder to share photos and stories.

Thanks
    Tell your friend to get in touch with either the national or state level Boston Terrier Club. The club should either have a list of member breeders they recommend or be able to provide your friend with a recommendation.

They need to look for a breeder that does health testing. The national breed club should have information about what genetic health conditions are concerns in the breed and what tests should be normal for breeders to do.

If the contract says that the owner must return the dog to the breeder if they are getting rid of it for any reason, then that is a good sign. If the contract has weird specifications, you may want to avoid that breeder. I would not purchase a puppy online unless you can find a very reputable breeder with a good reputation with the breed club, other breeders, and owners.

Having AKC registration is a good sign, but isn't everything. If the breeder is active with the breed, they will be showing in confirmation or showing in activities like agility, obedience, etc. any titles of that nature are good signs also.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS