Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,811

2 members and 3,809 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Exclamation Retained Eye Cap on my BP

I purchased my boy from Petsmart about three weeks ago.
    Yes, I know pet stores generally are horrible, and I had never planned on buying a BP from a chain pet store since I have tickets to an expo this December, but the little guy I got, I guess you could say we "connected" and I couldn't leave him behind. He had only been there for a few weeks so he was still healthy, I gave him a good check but failed to notice he had a retained eye-cap until a few days after taking him home, and while this would not have prevented me from purchasing him, I would have been able to have a discussion with the staff and possibly had the in-store vet remove it before purchase....
    After realizing his eye-cap was retained, I settled with leaving it be in hopes it would come off next shed. Well, he just shed very nicely, but the eye-cap did not shed and is still retained.

I am going to have a word with he pet store and properly voice my disappointment in them for letting this happen, but I doubt they will do anything, so I am preparing money to take him to the vet which I'm about 90% sure I will need to do.

So, my question, is there anything I can do for him right now? ;; Also, does anyone know what the vet charges to remove the retained eye cap? I will bring him no matter the price as he is my pet and my responsibility, but I would like to get an idea of the price so I can put enough aside the next few days, so if anyone knows it would be much appreciated!

Thank you so much!

Protective snek mom

Registered User Slytherin's Mommy's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Retained Eye Cap on my BP

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    I purchased my boy from Petsmart about three weeks ago.
    Yes, I know pet stores generally are horrible, and I had never planned on buying a BP from a chain pet store since I have tickets to an expo this December, but the little guy I got, I guess you could say we "connected" and I couldn't leave him behind. He had only been there for a few weeks so he was still healthy, I gave him a good check but failed to notice he had a retained eye-cap until a few days after taking him home, and while this would not have prevented me from purchasing him, I would have been able to have a discussion with the staff and possibly had the in-store vet remove it before purchase....
    After realizing his eye-cap was retained, I settled with leaving it be in hopes it would come off next shed. Well, he just shed very nicely, but the eye-cap did not shed and is still retained.

I am going to have a word with he pet store and properly voice my disappointment in them for letting this happen, but I doubt they will do anything, so I am preparing money to take him to the vet which I'm about 90% sure I will need to do.

So, my question, is there anything I can do for him right now? ;; Also, does anyone know what the vet charges to remove the retained eye cap? I will bring him no matter the price as he is my pet and my responsibility, but I would like to get an idea of the price so I can put enough aside the next few days, so if anyone knows it would be much appreciated!

Thank you so much!
    When this happened to my ball python the reptile store that I go to said to try wraping painter take around you finger and gently touch the eye cap with it and it should come off. Worked wonderfully!! Not sticky enough to hurt your snake.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Slytherin's Mommy For This Useful Post:

Blizzard (10-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    I would wait for Deborah! She will know lol.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

Blizzard (10-11-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slytherin's Mommy View Post
    When this happened to my ball python the reptile store that I go to said to try wraping painter take around you finger and gently touch the eye cap with it and it should come off. Worked wonderfully!! Not sticky enough to hurt your snake.

Oh you are so helpful! Thank you so much, I will try this!

Protective snek mom

Thanks
    I wouldn't bother with it.
    Keep your humidity correct and the eye cap will come off when he sheds. I would still take him to the vet, make sure you ask them to sex him.
    1.0- Pastel het Pied- Khaa

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PythonBabes For This Useful Post:

Blizzard (10-11-2017)

Registered User Slytherin's Mommy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    Oh you are so helpful! Thank you so much, I will try this!
    Your welcome! You will see the eye cap on the sticky part of the tape.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Slytherin's Mommy For This Useful Post:

Blizzard (10-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Best way of getting retained eye caps of in my experience is to get a rough textured bath towel and soak it in warm water then let the snake repeatedly slither through the towel , when it's head pops out at one end cover it up again with the loose end of the towel - remember to apply VERY GENTLE pressure on the head / face / eye region and after 5 minutes or so the eye caps will be gone ...

I'd never risk any kind of tape to be honest , not even that decorating tape we call "masking tape " over here in the uk - just my take on things ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Blizzard (10-11-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Best way of getting retained eye caps of in my experience is to get a rough textured bath towel and soak it in warm water then let the snake repeatedly slither through the towel , when it's head pops out at one end cover it up again with the loose end of the towel - remember to apply VERY GENTLE pressure on the head / face / eye region and after 5 minutes or so the eye caps will be gone ...

I'd never risk any kind of tape to be honest , not even that decorating tape we call "masking tape " over here in the uk - just my take on things ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the reply! It's very helpful!

Protective snek mom