Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,602

2 members and 1,600 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Re: Axel Feeding Day!!

Good luck with feeding Axel. Like the others have said, keep offering food every 7-10 days until he catches on. Snakes can go long periods without food but he will eat eventually. You might want to consider changing your hides and adding a little more clutter to your tank to give the snake a stronger sense of security. Reptile Basics makes some pretty functional hides. Also, is your heat source regulated with a thermostat?

http://www.reptilebasics.com/hide-boxes
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 10-11-2017 at 05:16 PM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

2. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (10-11-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    First thing that comes to mind is total lack of security and waaay too much open space and no shelter. In understand budget is a concern and you were mentioning picking up more stuff when you can but Axel may not eat until your set up at the proper additions.

There are some temporary solutions you can use as a place holder until you get more stuff but I'll address the main things first.

I trust you already know the half log hides are not idea and you were in the words of getting more appropriate hides. Just remember they like flat, snug hides that resemble a cave and feel like a turtle shell. So keep that in mind when you shop for replacements. Reptile Basics sells great, inexpensive hide if you're not opposed to ordering online

http://www.reptilebasics.com/small-hide-box

I think Axel will do well in a small.

Way more clutter. Be it fake plants or vines, you need something to crowd up that open floor space. Even using paper towel/toilet paper tubes can help make traveling from point a to point be feel safer. A ball python is used to being attacked from above so he sure when you place your plants and vines, he feels like he can't be seen from above either. The less you see of him the more safe he feels.

You can also never have too many hides, as long as you make sure your matching, primary ones are identical and of the ideal type/size.

You can still keep the half logs, but I'd treat them more as an extra furnishing, making a tunnel or "bridge" Axel can use when he wants to travel between hides. Just keep in mind they can be hard to clean and unless you use sealant (just make sure it's reptile safe), you'll have to toss them out sooner than later as the wood can absorb pee if Axel decides to do business on it.

As for temporary solutions I already mention paper towel tubes, but using crumpled newspaper paper as your "fake plants" may help (just toss when they get wet), cardboard boxes as "structures" to block Axel's view of the glass, or half burying your log hides in more substrate.

What can make this more effective is is you find a flat box of some sort, be it a cereal box or some old plastic containers, whatever can hold substrate in it. Flip it upside down so it's like a sandbox then place the hide in it and make sure one of the openings it's pressed against the back so Axel only have one opening. When you fill it with substrate it will cover more of the hide and hopefully, make it seem more like an underground cave. You can place paper towels or newspaper on top for additional cover, and HOPEFULLY that will help until you can get more suitable hides and actual fake plants.

Dollar stores and craft stores are you friends with that. Other hide budget options Deborah covers on this thread.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?59280-Hides-my-way

Hope that helps!

Also how are you measuring your hot spot? You're using an UTH last I recall right?
    I don't have a Temperature gun, if it was my money i'd get everything that he needs, but it's my parents, I am trying to get a job and even sell my Xbox One.
    I know he doesn't have a good living space right now and I am sorry for that.... So, please forgive me...
    Last edited by Axel28; 10-11-2017 at 05:14 PM.
    Ball Pythons: 0.0.1 Axel/ Leopard Geckos: 1.0 Demyx/ Dogs: 0.1 Butterfly, 0.1 Prissy, 0.1 Shelby 10. Vortex/ Cats: 0.1 Izzie, 0.1 Isabella/ Chicken: 1.0 Big Red

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Good luck with feeding Axel. Like the others have said, keep offering food every 7-10 days until he catches on. Snakes can go long periods without food but he will eat eventually. You might want to consider changing your hides and adding a little more clutter to your tank to give the snake a stronger sense of security. Reptile Basics makes some pretty functional hides. Also, is your heat source regulated with a thermostat?

http://www.reptilebasics.com/hide-boxes

Yes, both my heat sources are on Thermostats.
    Ball Pythons: 0.0.1 Axel/ Leopard Geckos: 1.0 Demyx/ Dogs: 0.1 Butterfly, 0.1 Prissy, 0.1 Shelby 10. Vortex/ Cats: 0.1 Izzie, 0.1 Isabella/ Chicken: 1.0 Big Red

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axel28 View Post
    I don't have a Temperature gun, if it was my money i'd get everything that he needs, but it's my parents, I am trying to get a job and even sell my Xbox One.
    I know he doesn't have a good living space right now and I am sorry for that.... So, please forgive me...
    You don't have to apologize to me! No on is mad! Don't worry! We're all just trying to help. I'm just trying to help point you in the right direction and address the reasons why Axel is refusing so we can work around a solution, even temporary
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (10-11-2017)

Thanks

You don't have to apologize to me! No on is mad! Don't worry! We're all just trying to help. I'm just trying to help point you in the right direction and address the reasons why Axel is refusing so we can work around a solution, even temporary
    I am just kinda getting stressed. xD Thank you alot for helping. But what I think is he is either going into shed or is still full from the medium mouse.

Thanks
    Added this last minute in my last post, but I noticed temp guns in local stores tends to be pricey. Online though, especially on amazon they are super affordable and good quality! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMI632G

Thanks

So, my mom let me get Driftwood, Etekcity Laser grip Temperature gun, AND some vines. The Temperature gun and driftwood will be here friday and the vines the 16th of oct.
    Last edited by Axel28; 10-11-2017 at 05:39 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Axel28 For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (10-11-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Axel28 View Post
    So, my mom let me get Driftwood, Etekcity Laser grip Temperature gun, AND some vines. The Temperature gun and driftwood will be here friday and the vines the 16th of oct.
    Yay!!! Way to go mom! Give her a hug for me

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Axel28 (10-11-2017)

Thanks

Yay!!! Way to go mom! Give her a hug for me
    Haha! I will. xD

Thanks

Should I try to feed Axel now or later, he is out of his hide right now. Probably tonight, right?

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast