Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,183

0 members and 2,183 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Axel Feeding Day!!

Quote Originally Posted by Axel28 View Post
    My parents say no and I actually agree with them, he needs to eat what he's got, we do not have enough money to spend on live hoppers, this is why I am trying to get a job, so I, WITH MY OWN MONEY, can take care of MY snake.

I do NOT mean to be rude because I LOVE Axel.

Anyways, I am gonna leave at that. Thank you.
    Hi friend I just wanted to add one thing. My only advice is to keep trying, feed him at night, and make sure those mice are hot! I personally let the mouse thaw for two hours on the top of Fírnen's cage so that he can smell it and his hunting instincts kick in. Then I dip it in hot hot water for about 30 seconds, blast it's head with a hairdryer for another 30 seconds, and offer it immediately.

As I'm offering it, I hold it by the middle with it's head facing Fírnen's head, and I sort of move it from side to side to get him interested. He usually strikes by then. If not, I reheat and try again until he either takes it or shows me that he doesn't want it.

Just wanted to share my technique so that you would have something to compare yours to.. Good luck!

Ball Pythons

1.0 Normal (Fírnen)

Wishlist
    Pokigron Suriname BCC
    Mexican Black Kingsnake

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joci For This Useful Post:

Axel28 (10-11-2017),Kira (10-10-2017),MissterDog (10-10-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joci View Post
    Hi friend I just wanted to add one thing. My only advice is to keep trying, feed him at night, and make sure those mice are hot! I personally let the mouse thaw for two hours on the top of Fírnen's cage so that he can smell it and his hunting instincts kick in. Then I dip it in hot hot water for about 30 seconds, blast it's head with a hairdryer for another 30 seconds, and offer it immediately.

As I'm offering it, I hold it by the middle with it's head facing Fírnen's head, and I sort of move it from side to side to get him interested. He usually strikes by then. If not, I reheat and try again until he either takes it or shows me that he doesn't want it.

Just wanted to share my technique so that you would have something to compare yours to.. Good luck!
    I completely forgot about mentioning prescenting!! Good call Joci! It definitely kicks in the hunting drive, I do similar only I thaw my feeder in the fridge the night before then thaw in warm water in a baggie over Tapioca's cage for 45 minutes to an hour, and he's usually out sniffing around afterwards. Then warming under a CHE lamp making sure the body and face of the feeder is especially hot as Joci mentioned. As a reminder a rodents body temp is 98-100 F
    Last edited by MissterDog; 10-10-2017 at 08:47 PM.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Axel28 (10-11-2017),Joci (10-10-2017),Kira (10-10-2017)

Thanks
    OP any luck?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Axel28 (10-11-2017)

Thanks

No, he didn’t eat. Should I try tomorrow night? That was when he was feed at Petsmart, so, maybe he is use to Thursday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ball Pythons: 0.0.1 Axel/ Leopard Geckos: 1.0 Demyx/ Dogs: 0.1 Butterfly, 0.1 Prissy, 0.1 Shelby 10. Vortex/ Cats: 0.1 Izzie, 0.1 Isabella/ Chicken: 1.0 Big Red

Thanks
    I'd wait and try again next Tuesday instead. As mentioned earlier, offering food again too soon/frequently after a food refusal could lead to more refusals. Being a little hungry won't hurt him and this will give you time to double check your husbandry.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Axel28 (10-11-2017)

Thanks

Alright, will do, thanks.

Ball Pythons: 0.0.1 Axel/ Leopard Geckos: 1.0 Demyx/ Dogs: 0.1 Butterfly, 0.1 Prissy, 0.1 Shelby 10. Vortex/ Cats: 0.1 Izzie, 0.1 Isabella/ Chicken: 1.0 Big Red

Thanks
    Just wondering, I know you were planning on adding more stuff but could we see what your full tank set up currently looks like? I'm not sure if there have been any changes yet but we might be able to help with more suggestions that way
    Last edited by MissterDog; 10-11-2017 at 02:22 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Axel28 (10-11-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    Just wondering, I know you were planning on adding more stuff but could we see what your full tank set up currently looks like? I'm not sure if there have been any changes and we might be able to help with more suggestions that way
    Sure, I am gone from home right now, but I know the ambient temps is normally on 83 and the humidity stays between 50% through 60%

Thanks

Is this some good pics?

Sorry if I am doing something wrong. :/

Thanks
    First thing that comes to mind is total lack of security and waaay too much open space and no shelter. In understand budget is a concern and you were mentioning picking up more stuff when you can but Axel may not eat until your set up at the proper additions.

There are some temporary solutions you can use as a place holder until you get more stuff but I'll address the main things first.

I trust you already know the half log hides are not idea and you were in the words of getting more appropriate hides. Just remember they like flat, snug hides that resemble a cave and feel like a turtle shell. So keep that in mind when you shop for replacements. Reptile Basics sells great, inexpensive hide if you're not opposed to ordering online

http://www.reptilebasics.com/small-hide-box

I think Axel will do well in a small.

Way more clutter. Be it fake plants or vines, you need something to crowd up that open floor space. Even using paper towel/toilet paper tubes can help make traveling from point a to point be feel safer. A ball python is used to being attacked from above so he sure when you place your plants and vines, he feels like he can't be seen from above either. The less you see of him the more safe he feels.

You can also never have too many hides, as long as you make sure your matching, primary ones are identical and of the ideal type/size.

You can still keep the half logs, but I'd treat them more as an extra furnishing, making a tunnel or "bridge" Axel can use when he wants to travel between hides. Just keep in mind they can be hard to clean and unless you use sealant (just make sure it's reptile safe), you'll have to toss them out sooner than later as the wood can absorb pee if Axel decides to do business on it.

As for temporary solutions I already mention paper towel tubes, but using crumpled newspaper paper as your "fake plants" may help (just toss when they get wet), cardboard boxes as "structures" to block Axel's view of the glass, or half burying your log hides in more substrate.

What can make this more effective is is you find a flat box of some sort, be it a cereal box or some old plastic containers, whatever can hold substrate in it. Flip it upside down so it's like a sandbox then place the hide in it and make sure one of the openings it's pressed against the back so Axel only have one opening. When you fill it with substrate it will cover more of the hide and hopefully, make it seem more like an underground cave. You can place paper towels or newspaper on top for additional cover, and HOPEFULLY that will help until you can get more suitable hides and actual fake plants. Just remember, nothing with tape.

Dollar stores and craft stores are you friends with that. Other hide budget options Deborah covers on this thread.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...0-Hides-my-way

Hope that helps!

Also how are you measuring your hot spot? You're using an UTH last I recall right? I know you were planning on buying a temp gun. Here is a good affordable one on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMI632G
    Last edited by MissterDog; 10-11-2017 at 05:14 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Axel28 (10-11-2017)

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast