Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,035

1 members and 3,034 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soaking a LOT?

Thanks

Re: Soaking a LOT?

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    A mite egg can take up to 30 days to hatch so you have to continue to treat your snakes, the enclosures, etc. for a month after you stop finding them on your snake.
    Thank you, I have read a LOT of contradicting information like this. BUT, the 30 days is the best I could average out as well. This is why I will be doing 4 cycles of the NIX treatment, every 5 - 7 days. 5 treatments (One initial treatment, then 4 cycles) at 7 days will cover that 30 days, PLUS a few for good measure.

Thanks again.

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Sorry you have to deal with it, mites are such a pain.
    One treatment of PAM (provent-a-mite) would fix it as well.
    For the Horde!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    My first ball python got mites. Looking back, I swear it was from a batch of aspen or something I bought at the pet store.
    I know FOR A FACT that I've gotten them from a bag of Zoo Med Forest Floor Cypress before.

100% guaranteed.

....a great reason to switch to newspaper or (even better) indented kraft paper.

To this day if I use any sort of substrate besides kraft paper I will bake it (sanitize it) in large disposable turkey pans and let it cool down before using...strictly because I know how much of a pain mites are to get rid of.
    Last edited by KevinK; 10-11-2017 at 02:37 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (10-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tinyballs View Post
    I know FOR A FACT that I've gotten them from a bag of Zoo Med Forest Floor Cypress before.

100% guaranteed.

....a great reason to switch to newspaper or (even better) indented kraft paper.

To this day if I use any sort of substrate besides kraft paper I will bake it (sanitize it) in large disposable turkey pans and let it cool down before using...strictly because I know how much of a pain mites are to get rid of.
    Maybe the mites were on the bag of substrate as I've heard of a few cases of a similar thing , picked up from the pet store where mites can be prevalent ? I read somewhere that they can't survive in bags of substrate for any length of time ... could be misinformation of course ,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Judging by the sheer amount of them with a few days time, I would definitely say they came inside the bag of substrate.

I run a sterile snake room, use good quarantine practices (and at the time I had no new snakes). I didn't bring in any new hides, plants, etc. None of my animals had been outside or in any position where they would have picked them up.

I know it's not a super common ordeal, but I am 100% certain I picked them up from a bag of forest floor. It wasn't a case of "Oh look there's a few mites in the water bowl"..........rather it was a case of "holy sh*t there's thousands of them all over the place".

Took me MONTHS to get rid of.
    Last edited by KevinK; 10-13-2017 at 07:55 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12