Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,532

1 members and 1,531 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Threaded View

Thanks

Vladimir the juvenile BP

Hi all, I do apologize in advance if this should've been submitted elsewhere.
    I've just gotten my first snake, he is a young male BP and I just adore him. I had wanted a snake, and after researching and debating between BP & corn snake...I saw this BP alone in a box. I walked back and forth between him and the large amount of brown blacks, who were larger and considerably cheaper. Still, I went with the Albino BP and I've named him Vladimir. I know he can't hear me, but I say "Hey vlad" whenever I walk into my bedroom [since bringing him home, I've only walked in my bedroom to go to sleep/check on his numbers].

I have Vlad in a 15 gallon tank [large, I know]. I have blacked out 3 of 4 sides. I've cluttered it with two hides, one hot and one cool. A mid-sized water dish, an artificial plant hanging over one corner, and a piece of driftwood in the center. The left hand side of my tank is where I have a UTH, but I am a bit worried. When I probe my Hot spot, towards the bottom, it very slowly creeps up to only around 88-91 degrees F. So is my snake feeling it even cooler where he lays on the substrate? I am using Forest Floor. My humidity levels are perfect. My ambient air at first was leveling around 80 but has not stabilized (with no heat other than UTH) at 75F. After a long day, sick at work, I took the temps and ran to the pet store for a CHE. Its small, 50 watts. Its taken my tank to a nice 82F as I have a mesh lid. He is spending no time on the hot side of the tank. When I plugged the CHE in (about 24" directly above him, installed on cool side since its intended for ambient air and they do not bask) he emerged and brought his head toward the source like a thriving plant. I just love him. But was he cold?

And for what it's worth, although I very briefly handled Vlad when I met him, and when I got home with him and setup, he just wanted to climb up my arm, not into his tank- I am suddenly really nervous to touch or pick him up. I want to put my hand into his enclosure, and then stroke his back so he knows I'm there. I don't know when I can touch him. Today (day 2 in my house) he entered his (cool) hide for the first time. He's only been in and out of his hot hide once that I've seen.

I work 9-5 and I love the thought of Vlad being with me for many years as I'm 21! I want to provide Vlad with the highest possible quality of life. Am I doing anything wrong?

The man who sold me Vlad (owner of exotic pet store, reputable in area)- told me that this coming Wednesday I should feed Vlad a "Fluffy mouse." He told me to feed him a live mouse and then switch to F/T, but will the live mouse injure him? He is pretty small yet. I feel very afraid of doing a bad job. Vlad has spent most of his time strolling in the dark and tucked away in a corner.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

MmmBanana (10-10-2017)