Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,921

0 members and 2,921 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Should i buy a spider?

Hello, i am sorry if this is posted in the wrong place please feel free to correct me.

I am looking into a 3 gened spider bp and i have contacted the breeder about the wobble. And he says she does have a slight wobble, no corkscrewing, but when excited she wobbles a bit.

This would be my first ball python, so i am here to ask if you guys think that is ok? I would like to hear also if this snake shouldnt be bred in the future? I am interested in possibly breeding her, would she pass on that wobble to her offspring?

I am pretty much ready to pull the trigger on this girl but i just have this one reservation on the spider wobble.

If anyone has any thoughts or opinions i would be greatful!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Should i buy a spider?

It’s really more of a personal choice. You will hear very opinionated people on both sides but it the end it’s all about if you think it’s wrong or not.

Most people who own a spider however will tell you that the wobble does not effect the animals quality of life at all and they really are very sweet animals. I own a spider myself lol. The most it will really do is cause them to miss their strike on prey a few times maybe and act a little funny sometimes, such as hanging with their head upside down or getting shaky from time to time. Some people love it and thinks it gives them personality and is cute, others it really bothers. If something like that would bother you then I wouldn’t get it, but really it isn’t a huge deal IMO My girl has a slight wobble when she gets excited as well and it literally effects her in no way at all. She shakes a little before striking, missed once, I held the prey a little closer and she got it just fine. Also keep in mind that the wobble may change with age, sometimes they get worse, sometimes they go away completely, sometimes they don’t change at all.

As for breeding again it’s a personal preference, but the severity of the wobble does not effect how much a wobble the babies will have. All spiders have the same chance to get the wobble no matter what when they are born. A spider with no wobble at all can produce babies with severe wobbles and spiders with severe wobbles can produce babies with no wobble. I personally don’t have a problem with at and will probably breed my girl in the future. It’s really up to what you think is right

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roux View Post
    Hello, i am sorry if this is posted in the wrong place please feel free to correct me.

I am looking into a 3 gened spider bp and i have contacted the breeder about the wobble. And he says she does have a slight wobble, no corkscrewing, but when excited she wobbles a bit.

This would be my first ball python, so i am here to ask if you guys think that is ok? I would like to hear also if this snake shouldnt be bred in the future? I am interested in possibly breeding her, would she pass on that wobble to her offspring?

I am pretty much ready to pull the trigger on this girl but i just have this one reservation on the spider wobble.

If anyone has any thoughts or opinions i would be greatful!

Pretty much everything that bluuwolf said. Only thing i have to add is, that if you do decide to breed you have to be prepared to cull a hatchling if the wobble is so severe that it can't eat. The wobble is also so far impossible to breed out.

Sent from my LG-M151 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Thank you for the detailed and quick responses guys. I do love this community.
    The breeder said that he has bred this combo for years and they havent had the wobble, but this particular girl does have it and he said that was unusual.

I admit the wobble concerns me but i attribute that to being inexperienced.

Thanks

Is culling a spider baby actually a thing? I don't have any personal experience myself but from what I've heard from breeders and others on here no one has ever really heard of or had a real spider hatchling that's wobble was so bad they had to be culled. Just second-hand accounts from people without a lot of experience. Just what I've gathered from stuff I've read

Sent from my LG-D690 using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BluuWolf For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (10-15-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts
    I owned my first spider before I ever even heard of wobble, she’s a great snake and a great pet, never even knew there was anything different about her. Now I own 3 and a bunch of babies and of course know what wobble is. Some are more noticeable now that I know what to look for but even the worst of mine is no big deal to me, people make way to big of a deal about it. Most spiders have some degree of wobble but most you wouldn’t even notice without looking for it. I say go for it, you won’t be sorry.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BluuWolf View Post
    Is culling a spider baby actually a thing? I don't have any personal experience myself but from what I've heard from breeders and others on here no one has ever really heard of or had a real spider hatchling that's wobble was so bad they had to be culled. Just second-hand accounts from people without a lot of experience. Just what I've gathered from stuff I've read

Sent from my LG-D690 using Tapatalk
    It's incredibly rare that it happens but it does. It's better to cull a hatchling that can't even be forcefed than to let it starve. I only know personally of 1 Bee hatchling that a local breeder had that needed to be culled and that was years ago. I have a spider myself and will eventually breed him when i get a female lesser pastel, i'm just preparing for the absolute worse possibility.

Thanks
    We have owned and produced a large amount of spiders and spider combos. Wobbles can be light to severe, not present and show up down the line, or non existent. Animals with the spider gene get very excited when feeding. I notice this more with straight spiders than in combos. I have never had, or seen an animal with spider that was affected by its wobble to the extent that it cannot feed and thrive. Every animal we have had and produced has ate great and lived a healthy life. Typically what we see is that it is far less apparent with three and four gene animals. I would not hesitate to recommend an animal with the gene. Some of the combos that are produced are some of my favorite and the most colorful out there. As was mentioned earlier, in the end, its up to you. Hope I was helpful.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scooter11 For This Useful Post:

BluuWolf (10-09-2017),Godzilla78 (10-13-2017),redshepherd (10-15-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pezz View Post
    It's incredibly rare that it happens but it does. It's better to cull a hatchling that can't even be forcefed than to let it starve. I only know personally of 1 Bee hatchling that a local breeder had that needed to be culled and that was years ago. I have a spider myself and will eventually breed him when i get a female lesser pastel, i'm just preparing for the absolute worse possibility.

Ah alright I understand but culling is a part of breeding in general Wobbles and kinking and freak accidents just happen no matter what you breed, it just happens to be more common with some morphs. If you aren’t able to cull an animal if necessary them breeding isn’t for you lol

And that’s funny, I’m hoping to breed my pastel lesser Congo boy to my hypo spider girl in the future as well

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BluuWolf For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (10-15-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BluuWolf View Post
    Ah alright I understand but culling is a part of breeding in general Wobbles and kinking and freak accidents just happen no matter what you breed, it just happens to be more common with some morphs. If you aren’t able to cull an animal if necessary them breeding isn’t for you lol

And that’s funny, I’m hoping to breed my pastel lesser Congo boy to my hypo spider girl in the future as well

I'm absolutely in love with queen bees right now and want to produce one will take a few years though. So I'll be pairing Bonnie (lesser) with Clyde (pastel) to try and get a female lesser pastel. I'd then pair Monty (spider) with that girl once i got it to size.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast