Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,899

2 members and 2,897 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran BallPythonWannaBe's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Water snakes and Belly Heat :/

The only problem I would see would be it being a little messy once it got warm, although if the snake took it soon after it was offered I dont think it would be a problem.
    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live"
    -J.K Rowling Sorcerer's Stone
    Long time no see, back at it again in my white vans.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonWannaBe View Post
    The only problem I would see would be it being a little messy once it got warm, although if the snake took it soon after it was offered I dont think it would be a problem.
    You should also be able to find whole fish in most aquarium/reptile type stores that sell frozen food. I buy "San Francisco Bay Brand, Sally's Silversides" at my local petsmart for about $15 a bag.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

BallPythonWannaBe (10-11-2017)

Thanks

I feed pinkies, worms, fish filets (salmon, yellow perch, tilapia, etc), and silversides to my garters. No gelatin involved. It's not particularly expensive, just cut off and defrost what you need from the frozen fish and buy worms every couple weeks. They don't really like the silversides or pinkies too much, but they'll eat them and it's good for them to have whole things vs filets.

1.0 Pastel yellowbelly ball python -Pipsy
    2.0 Checkered garter snakes - Hazama & Relius
    1.0 Dumeril's boa - Bazil

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kcl For This Useful Post:

BallPythonWannaBe (10-11-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I've had water snakes I've caught eat in the bucket I caught them in right after capture. Leaving food items unattended isn't likely to be a problem with water snakes.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Also you said you keep Indigos? How are their temperments?
    If you are interested in colubrids with no particular species in mind, of all the snakes I keep, the indigos are hands down my favorite. Eastern indigos in particular are something of a jewel in the reptile world, but required some extra effort to get a hold of typically. Texas indigos are cheaper and easier to come by and offer you probably 90% the same animal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Regius_049 View Post
    If you are interested in colubrids with no particular species in mind, of all the snakes I keep, the indigos are hands down my favorite. Eastern indigos in particular are something of a jewel in the reptile world, but required some extra effort to get a hold of typically. Texas indigos are cheaper and easier to come by and offer you probably 90% the same animal.
    I might look into them a bit more but they look like they get pretty big

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    They also have the potential to give you one of the gnarlier bites you can receive from a nonvenomous snake if you get a feeding response latch. These aren't constrictors. They rely on strength of body and jaw to overpower their prey. I currently just keep a female mexican indigo(D. m. rubidus) and am still seeking an unrelated male. She's a little over a year old, in the 4 foot range, and really just starting to come into her own. A complete sweetheart to handle but she comes at food fast and with a single minded purpose that's a bit awe inspiring, haha. She also routinely rips the heads off quail and spills the guts of rodents. Fish and snakes, with their scaley protection, hold up the best but I've also seen a video of a black tail cribo literally twisting/ripping the head off a prey snake(smaller cribo if memory serves) in the wild. I'd hate to be on the receiving end of a big adult male's feeding bite.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    They also have the potential to give you one of the gnarlier bites you can receive from a nonvenomous snake if you get a feeding response latch. These aren't constrictors. They rely on strength of body and jaw to overpower their prey. I currently just keep a female mexican indigo(D. m. rubidus) and am still seeking an unrelated male. She's a little over a year old, in the 4 foot range, and really just starting to come into her own. A complete sweetheart to handle but she comes at food fast and with a single minded purpose that's a bit awe inspiring, haha. She also routinely rips the heads off quail and spills the guts of rodents. Fish and snakes, with their scaley protection, hold up the best but I've also seen a video of a black tail cribo literally twisting/ripping the head off a prey snake(smaller cribo if memory serves) in the wild. I'd hate to be on the receiving end of a big adult male's feeding bite.
    Yikes

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Regius_049 View Post
    Absolute jewel! I'm kinda of curious if anyone has kept more than one subspecies of Indigo if there is an actual difference in temperament from the others to the Easterns or if the opinion of the Easterns is maybe skewed because of the "Holy crap it's an EASTERN INDIGO" effect.

Thanks

So I just thought of something. I've been told that Ball Pythons need Belly Heat? I just wanted to see if this is true

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast