Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 449

0 members and 449 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 9 of 91 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Behira - 2016 Female Ivory Ghost - First BCI

Behira nailed a 60G F/T rat yesterday. Might be a tiny bit on the small side for her now, but rather that then too big. I have another 60-70G small rat and then some 70-80G small rats left in this bag. I'll feed them smallest to largest.

However, I fed figment his mouse first, and when I brought it in (soaking in hot water), and walked by Behira's tank (she's the second one down of 5 and Figment is the bottom) she struck the front of the tank, only once, but still. I don't know if she smelled it, or just knew it was food time, but either way, she bent a front tooth this time.

Ugh.

Doesn't seem to bother her and the last one fell out on it's own. I am going to see if it falls out next feeding, like the last one did. I can see it when I look in the tank, but since she just ate, I am not going to take her out to inspect until at least tomorrow.

Needless to say I didn't offer the rat long before she was all over it.

I usually feed Figment, Behira, and then Shayna. From now on, I am going to feed Behira first, then Figment, then Shayna. Maybe avoid needless strikes at acrylic!

Glad she is happy and eating; bent teeth and all!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Behira - 2016 Female Ivory Ghost - First BCI

Sorry that you are going through this, I know how upsetting it can be.

If I’m feeding multiple snakes on the same feeding day as Punch, my big Boa, I always feed him first and as quickly as possible. He slams the glass so hard his mouth is all twisted, contorted, and he is stunned as well. Then I have to wait for him to adjust and realign it before I can feed him.

Punch
    Last edited by Reinz; 03-12-2018 at 03:22 PM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-12-2018),Kam (11-24-2019)

Thanks

Exclamation Re: Behira - 2016 Female Ivory Ghost - First BCI

Quote Originally Posted by Reinz View Post
    Sorry that you are going through this, I know how upsetting it can be.

If I’m feeding multiple snakes on the same feeding day as Punch, my big Boa, I always feed him first and as quickly as possible. He slams the glass so hard his mouth is all twisted, contorted, and he is stunned as well. Then I have to wait for him to adjust and realign it before I can feed him.

Punch
    Ugh. Well at least I am not alone.

More worried about when she is older and bigger and only eats every other time I feed Shayna and Figment.

I dont like the idea of feeding everyone else and not her, but still need to keep her healthy.

We will see.

Thanks for sharing Reinz.

Thanks

Okay, so new turn of events. I am getting a little concerned, but also have a potential solution for when it's feeding day for everyone else and not Behira.

I had to spray a little water into Shayna's tank tonight (still dry here in the winter and difficult to get over 65% for a good shed without a spray of warm water every couple of days, or more). The tanks lights for everyone were out (all on the same timer), however I did turn the light on in the reptile area (it's a lamp).

Behira was out looking around and as soon as walked by, BAM - hit the acrylic. She did it two or three times.

I am worried about her doing this and getting hurt. She's only 715G now, but as she gets bigger, she could probably do more damage. It also makes me a little nervous. I have been hook training, but this food response is crazy, assuming that's what it is. She ate yesterday, so maybe it's still on her brain?

Anyway, I didn't want her to get hurt, so I carefully opened the tank door on the other side (it's a 6X2' so there are two 2 1/2 foot or so doors) as she was on the middle right of the tank. I rubbed her a few times with the hook handle and she calmed down and didn't strike either the hook, or the tank anymore. She seemed to understand that it wasn't feeding time. I wasn't going to pick her up, because she still seemed a little revved up, ate yesterday, and I always handle during the day, with lights on.

I have never had a snake strike the tank doors/acrylic like this before. Behira is only going to get bigger and potentially hurt herself more and potentially worry me more.

Any thoughts? I am at a loss for ideas.

When she gets like that, should I use the hook and then pick her up? Should I start feeding at different times so she doesn't expect it at night? She has never struck the doors during the day, although she nailed me with the lights on. Should I handle her at night as well/take her out with the lights out so she doesn't associate lights out with food every time? Or, is this just when she gets into hunt mode?

Finally, I plan to cover her tank doors with printless newspaper (I use it for substrate too) the day of feeding when it's not her turn to eat. That should help prevent food striking while I feed the other guys.

Thank you all again. I know I have touched on this before, but I continue be concerned, if not more so now. Not panicking or anything, but it's bothering me.

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Boas can be strikers, that's just how it goes. If you want to try to diminish the frequency, you may need to hang a sheet or something in front of the cage from here on out if it bothers you. I think I mentioned earlier(?) walk by/do anything in front of the cage realllly slowly, like slow mo, they usually won't strike when I do that (just sit in the 's' position watching you very intently lol). Some are more prone doing this than others and it's most likely not something you can break them of. She may not do it as much once she's fully mature and doesn't feel like she needs to feed to grow but no guarantee. And yes, boas can stay in feed-mode for a long time. Been keeping boas for a while now and have hardly ever had anyone get injured, a tooth through a lip is about as bad as it's gotten for me.
    For the Horde!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-12-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    Boas can be strikers, that's just how it goes. If you want to try to diminish the frequency, you may need to hang a sheet or something in front of the cage from here on out if it bothers you. I think I mentioned earlier(?) walk by/do anything in front of the cage realllly slowly, like slow mo, they usually won't strike when I do that (just sit in the 's' position watching you very intently lol). Some are more prone doing this than others and it's most likely not something you can break them of. She may not do it as much once she's fully mature and doesn't feel like she needs to feed to grow but no guarantee. And yes, boas can stay in feed-mode for a long time. Been keeping boas for a while now and have hardly ever had anyone get injured, a tooth through a lip is about as bad as it's gotten for me.
    Thank you AbsoluteApril.

It makes a lot of sense to cover the tank unless I am going to take her out or feed.

To be clear, you think this is totally a feeding response though and not her being aggressive? I do not think it's the latter at all as she is always a puppy dog once she it taken out and even after being touched with the hook now. Don't really feel like getting nailed, even if it's by accident, when she is a big girl though. Well, hence the hook training, right?

Also, even in strike mode and having struck the doors 2-3 times, she calmed right down when I touched her with the hook.

Thank you again!

I appreciate the feedback and, pardon the expression, snappy response!

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts

Behira - 2016 Female Ivory Ghost - First BCI

I would think covering it is a good idea, and like AbsoluteApril mentioned, don’t move quickly in front of them. Even the most collected boa could strike whether in surprise or feeding response. If she’s on the floor, consider raising her up onto a table or something, to reduce any vibrations she may feel.

Since she’s already hook trained, I would reinforce that association by picking her up after you use it. If she seems to be backing off when you use the hook, then she should be out of feed mode and ok to handle. It sounds like she’s generally not bitey while handling, and I’ve noticed a lot of boas are like that. They may be defensive or food oriented in their enclosure, but are then fine once taken out. Just a weird quirk of theirs. I’ve noticed with mine, they may also be a little zoned in in the hopes of food or in nervousness, but generally don’t go much beyond that. That sort of awareness is what made boas stand out for me, they act a lot different than a lot of ball pythons. I’ve gotten so used to being around them, I didn’t even realize how off putting it can be for some keepers (add onto that every species I’ve owned besides my bp have been like this so I just took it for granted that was the way the average snake was). As you get used to it, it shouldn’t worry you so much, especially if she keeps her generally calm demeanor. Despite their jerky tendencies and constant tracking, I can count on one hand how many of the 6 boa constrictors I’ve had over the last 7 years have actually bitten me, and even with the other 8 species I’ve owned in the past 11 years, it still fits on two hands. They’re more bark than bite, so long as you move slow and don’t overstep boundaries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CloudtheBoa; 03-13-2018 at 09:28 PM.
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (03-13-2018),dakski (03-13-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post
    I would think covering it is a good idea, and like AbsoluteApril mentioned, don’t move quickly in front of them. Even the most collected boa could strike whether in surprise or feeding response. If she’s on the floor, consider raising her up onto a table or something, to reduce any vibrations she may feel.

Since she’s already hook trained, I would reinforce that association by picking her up after you use it. If she seems to be backing off when you use the hook, then she should be out of feed mode and ok to handle. It sounds like she’s generally not bitey while handling, and I’ve noticed a lot of boas are like that. They may be defensive or food oriented in their enclosure, but are then fine once taken out. Just a weird quirk of theirs. I’ve noticed with mine, they may also be a little zoned in in the hopes of food or in nervousness, but generally don’t go much beyond that. That sort of awareness is what made boas stand out for me, they act a lot different than a lot of ball pythons. I’ve gotten so used to being around them, I didn’t even realize how off putting it can be for some keepers (add onto that every species I’ve owned besides my bp have been like this so I just took it for granted that was the way the average snake was). As you get used to it, it shouldn’t worry you so much, especially if she keeps her generally calm demeanor. Despite their jerky tendencies and constant tracking, I can count on one hand how many of the 6 boa constrictors I’ve had over the last 7 years have actually bitten me, and even with the other 8 species I’ve owned in the past 11 years, it still fits on two hands. They’re more bark than bite, so long as you move slow and don’t overstep boundaries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, as always, CloudtheBoa.

I am getting drapes and a rod to hold them up and will keep her tank covered unless feeding or handling. Hope to do that this week. Been crazy here with weather and cleaning out my old house which closes Friday!

Good point with the hook - if I use - take her out.

I spoke to Jeff Ronne at Boaphile today. He made my tanks and really knows Boas. He said the same thing. Cover and continue to use the hook. He said some of his Boa's are like this, but has no bearing on how they are when being handled.

I took Behira out tonight (after leaving her alone for 3 days to eat and digest). She was calm as can be. She is one of the gentlest and bravest/least scared easily snakes I have ever handled. Total puppy dog. As usual!

It's like I have two snakes sometimes. Dr. Behira and Mrs. Hyde! When food isn't involved and she knows she isn't getting fed, she is the most wonderful, calm, and confident animal.

I am not having second thoughts or anything. I adore her. I just wanted some advice on keeping her from nailing the tank front so much.

Thank you again!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (03-14-2018)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    I appreciate the feedback and, pardon the expression, snappy response!
    worth it for the pun alone lol and I don't usually enjoy puns

Quote Originally Posted by CloudtheBoa View Post
    They may be defensive or food oriented in their enclosure, but are then fine once taken out.
    I totally agree and this is how my boas are as well.
    The only 'aggressive' boas I've dealt with are females that just gave birth. Boas generally are defensive or foody more than aggressive.
    For the Horde!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-13-2018),richardhind1972 (03-14-2018)

Thanks

I had an idea for how to cover Behira's tank so she wouldn't strike at movement at night. However, I had no idea how to implement it.

I was going to go to Michael's, but Katie suggested Joann Fabrics. I had never been there (I just discovered Michael's 2 years ago for Pete's sake) and Katie wanted to go with me.

WOW. Katie knows her stuff and turned my idea into a reality. No way I could have done this on my own.

20 minutes at Joann Fabrics, $60, and 1/2 hour of Katie's handy work, and BOOM! Problem solved.

Behira's tank is 1 down from the top and now has a black drape/fabric covering it.

I do not have the hooks holding the pole and drape (which is very light and easily removed and also slides on the pole so I can open one side easily) flush with the tanks. I have them out about 1/2 an inch so the tank can breath and temps won't be affected.

This should definitely reduce or stop Behira striking at the acrylic when she's thinking about food. Still have to be careful on feeding day, but I plan to feed her first now.

Behira doesn't seem to mind the fabric being up and Katie was happy to help and did a great job.

Awesome all around.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

CloudtheBoa (03-18-2018),Godzilla78 (03-17-2018),richardhind1972 (03-18-2018)

Page 9 of 91 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959 ... LastLast