Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,397

1 members and 2,396 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 58 of 91 FirstFirst ... 8484950515253545556575859606162636465666768 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Behira - 2016 Female Ivory Ghost - First BCI

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    That really is a stunner dave,you really was a good boy, not coming home with that

Good you caught up with philly.be cool to meet some of your fellow forum mates

That's good you managed to speak with loads of breeders to give you bit reassurance about behira Dave.
    That really is a good book, sure you will plenty of good reading hours with it, great reference book too

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Agreed Rich on the reassurance and great to catch up with a few forum mates today.

Of course, I started reading Vin's new book tonight and it says sheds of less than a month apart usually mean a sick snake!

Seriously though, when I spoke to Vin today he was surprised both the white blood cell count and the stool where low and negative, respectively. Also, the vet said she would repeat tests and/or prescribe an antibiotic IF things got worse or she stopped eating, etc. We are nowhere near that as far as I can tell with her devouring her meals and even in blue.

Will power can be tough sometimes. I really did like that BC, but I don't think it's meant to be right now. I really love my collection and am spending the time I want with them (handling), cleaning, etc. Space is also a commodity I am short on now. Plus, with my health, no need to push it. The last thing I want is too many animals and not enough time or energy. I have a job and other hobbies and it's not my job (reptiles), nor do I want it to be. Yes, we are only talking one more snake, but it's never really only one more, right? Important to draw a line somewhere (and that's a personal thing).

However, I really do like a good sized boa. Cannot wait for Behira, Jeff, and to a smaller extent (literally, not figuratively), Feliz, to get there. It's going to be a while though. Jeff's just about 1, Feliz is 2 1/2 and Behira is about 3 3/4 years old.

I used to be nervous about bigger snakes and it wasn't until just before I got Behira that I even handled any Boa. If I had to do it all over again, not sure I would do anything different, as I love the variety of the collection, but I might have started sooner with the boas.
    Last edited by dakski; 02-10-2020 at 05:06 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (02-10-2020)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Agreed Rich on the reassurance and great to catch up with a few forum mates today.

Of course, I started reading Vin's new book tonight and it says sheds of less than a month apart usually mean a sick snake!

Seriously though, when I spoke to Vin today he was surprised both the white blood cell count and the stool where low and negative, respectively. Also, the vet said she would repeat tests and/or prescribe an antibiotic IF things got worse or she stopped eating, etc. We are nowhere near that as far as I can tell with her devouring her meals and even in blue.

Will power can be tough sometimes. I really did like that BC, but I don't think it's meant to be right now. I really love my collection and am spending the time I want with them (handling), cleaning, etc. Space is also a commodity I am short on now. Plus, with my health, no need to push it. The last thing I want is too many animals and not enough time or energy. I have a job and other hobbies and it's not my job (reptiles), nor do I want it to be. Yes, we are only talking one more snake, but it's never really only one more, right? Important to draw a line somewhere (and that's a personal thing).

However, I really do like a good sized boa. Cannot wait for Behira, Jeff, and to a smaller extent (literally, not figuratively), Feliz, to get there. It's going to be a while though. Jeff's just about 1, Feliz is 2 1/2 and Behira is about 3 3/4 years old.

I used to be nervous about bigger snakes and it wasn't until just before I got Behira that I even handled any Boa. If I had to do it all over again, not sure I would do anything different, as I love the variety of the collection, but I might have started sooner with the boas.
    I really think that's a good call with helding back, lol
    There's no point in it having to be a chore to keep up on husbandry etc , hobbies are supposed to be fun and I know you give a 100% care to your animals. Especially with behira at moment, fingers crossed she will stop soon and her hormones settle down and get back into a regular shed cycle

4. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-10-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts

...Of course, I started reading Vin's new book tonight and it says sheds of less than a month apart usually mean a sick snake!

Seriously though, when I spoke to Vin today he was surprised both the white blood cell count and the stool where low and negative, respectively. Also, the vet said she would repeat tests and/or prescribe an antibiotic IF things got worse or she stopped eating, etc. We are nowhere near that as far as I can tell with her devouring her meals and even in blue...
    That's always been my understanding too, but hey, they used to think the world was flat, y'know? Now it looks like there can be more than one cause for this phenomenon, making it that much more crucial to have a vet who's good at diagnosing the difference between sickness & raging growth hormones. We're all still learning things about
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-10-2020 at 01:57 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That's always been my understanding too, but hey, they used to think the world was flat, y'know? Now it looks like there can be more than one cause for this phenomenon, making it that much more crucial to have a vet who's good at diagnosing the difference between sickness & raging growth hormones. We're all still learning things about
    I am an investor by trade, and often look at things quantitatively. Looking at Behira quantitatively it seems she must be sick, certainly from the perspective of the frequent sheds. Not so much from the eating perspective. However, what are the odds of such an anomaly in shedding?

However, qualitatively, it's a different story. I had her out this morning and same old sweet Behira. Great muscle tone and strength and vibrant color. She's acting normal except for the shedding. Even Pounding food with zest.

I am taking this in stride now and giving it time. I am letting go of my scientific and quantitative data and going with my gut and with the vet, etc.

Look at her - she looks great!

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-10-2020),Gio (02-24-2020),jmcrook (02-10-2020),Kam (02-11-2020),richardhind1972 (02-10-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 877 Posts

Sure, rub it in! .

I hope he finds a really good home. He was really both stunning and calm as can be.
    I think you should get it. And if doesn’t work out I will send you my address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kam For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-11-2020),richardhind1972 (02-11-2020)

Thanks

Behira looked a little less red yesterday than she did this time after last shed (4 days), I think anyway. Who knows. She was her normal awesome as I had her out for a bit.
    Tonight she nailed and devoured another medium rat.

I am happy every time she eats. Makes me believe she's keeping her strength up and the food could help her fight off anything that could be going on, or not . Either way, I am glad she is pounding food. If it is hormones, etc. and she needs to grow a little bit now, I know I am giving her what she needs. If not, she hasn't been overfed, so I do not believe this hurts her at all, and I will slow down the feedings when the shedding issue is clearly resolved.

Last edited by dakski; 02-12-2020 at 10:25 PM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-13-2020),Kam (02-12-2020),richardhind1972 (02-13-2020)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Behira looked a little less red yesterday than she did this time after last shed (4 days), I think anyway. Who knows. She was her normal awesome as I had her out for a bit.
    Tonight she nailed and devoured another medium rat.

I am happy every time she eats. Makes me believe she's keeping her strength up and the food could help her fight off anything that could be going on, or not . Either way, I am glad she is pounding food. If it is hormones, etc. and she needs to grow a little bit now, I know I am giving her what she needs. If not, she hasn't been overfed, so I do not believe this hurts her at all, and I will slow down the feedings when the shedding issue is clearly resolved.

Really glad she's still eating

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Really glad she's still eating

ME TOO!

She's really nailing her food and she seems to be looking for food more too.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (02-13-2020)

Thanks

I had Behira out tonight. She's looking good and feels strong. She's alert and active (except for when she fell asleep hanging from neck for 10 minutes ).

It's been 12 days since her last shed. She's darker, and her belly is getting pink again, as are her sides a bit. However, she's not in blue yet. She was at 12 days last time. Who knows, but I'd be happy with a longer duration between sheds.

In the meantime, as documented here, she's nailing rats and seems to have grown a little. I haven't gotten a present from her in a bit, so I cannot give an official weight yet, but I will.

Here are two pics of Behira chilling with her papa.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-19-2020),Kam (02-19-2020),richardhind1972 (02-20-2020)

Thanks

Behira came out of blue today and absolutely clobbered a F/T medium rat tonight.

I'll report when she sheds again, but everything else is status quo with her.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (02-24-2020),Gio (02-24-2020),richardhind1972 (02-24-2020)

Page 58 of 91 FirstFirst ... 8484950515253545556575859606162636465666768 ... LastLast