Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,875

1 members and 2,874 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 20 of 91 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293070 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Behira - 2016 Female Ivory Ghost - First BCI

Quote Originally Posted by Avsha531 View Post
    That's great, she's looking so amazing! Sascha has been doing a lotta climbing lately too, I take her out then within seconds she's on my head lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Thank you Avsha531!

They love the head/hair for some reason! Yeah, huge difference with Behira over my other snakes. The corns want a lot of support and just like slithering through my hands/arms, etc. Shayna, the BP, is definitely better at getting a grip on me, but does not have the desire or climbing prowess that Behira does at all. Behira was born to climb and is curious and investigative.

She is so incredibly chill after being out for even a minute. That climbing picture was taken at the end of a 20 minute handling session where she spent 15 minutes on my arm and chest, basically, not moving. .

Amazing how strong she is at not even 1,000G. Going to be interesting when she's 7,000G+. However, she's so calm and predictable and gentle. She's going to be a gentle giant for sure. Not too worried.

As awesome and impressive as it's going to be having a 15+ pound Behira at 7FT, I'll miss my little baby BCI who I could hold with one forearm and hand! (Tear) How fast they grow up!

BTW - Been following Sascha's thread; quite the beauty and you and she seem like real buddies now! Very cool.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Avsha531 (07-20-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    She's still looking great! Glad things are going well with her. Looks like you're about to play her like a guitar in this photo! rock on
    LOL! Unfortunately, I am basically tone deaf, and from a musical perspective, might as well be an earless snake (I do appreciate music however). Couldn't play an instrument if my life depended on it.

However, I've got the snake act down!!!!!!

I am a pretty funny guy; witty and sarcastic and punny and a great joke teller.

Maybe Behira and I can do a stand up act together?

A comedian and a Boa walk into a bar...............

Thanks

Well, Behira and I, kind of hit a snag with Katie today.

We (me and Katie, not Behira) went to the local reptile store today to get some food for the Leopard Gecko's (Dubai roaches). Adam, who owns the store, and I've known for a while now, had a big tank with a large female BCI (anery) and a male albino (Sharp, I believe) that he's trying to breed.

Katie saw the female BCI and asked what it was. Me being totally honest, as I always am, and having shown Katie pictures of adult BCI females, and discussed it with her when she picked Behira, a female, etc. says, "oh that's a female BCI, like Behira, except Behira is a ghost so she's hypo anery and not as dark as this one."

Apparently, that was the wrong answer, because Katie freaked out!

This happens to be a large female. My guess is over 20 pounds. Knowing Behira's parents' that (20 pounds) is about the largest I am expecting Behira to be, but who knows?

Katie could not fathom how our "big" (in her mind) 1,000G Behira is going to be 7,000+ and 7FT+. It hit her hard.

She thought we saw adult BCI's at the show where we met Behira's breeder, but I am pretty sure he showed us pictures of adults and had some 3 year old male BCI's. I would never intentionally mislead Katie and have told her from day one that Behira will be big and it takes 5+ years for her to reach adult size. I guess Katie thought a 3 year old 2K gram BCI was big at the time.

I don't want Katie to resent me or Behira, and I will see how all this plays out. She seemed a little calmer tonight and even held Behira. However, she's mentioned a few times in the past few weeks that she's already getting big. Further she's darkened up a little which somehow makes her seem scarier to Katie and did nail me with a food response bite once. She also is an aggressive feeder.

Behira has never shown aggression or defensiveness and is totally chill while being handled. The hook training has gone great and she snaps right out of food response mode if she's even close to it. I can read her well now and I am not scared of her, even her at 7K grams plus.

However, Katie, who seems to read the other snakes fine, gets scared if Behira pulls her head back while being handled and enters anything resembling an "S" position. It's obviously incidental to me, and she has a happy tongue, and hasn't tensed, etc. However, Katie gets a little fearful.

Seeing that big female today really shocked her and intimidated her.

Again, I am going to give it some time and we will see what happens.

I just feel really bad that Katie thought she had all the info, but obviously did not.

She feels I was a little pushy with getting Behira, and I probably was, and probably just said "whatever" when I said Behira is a female and gets bigger than the males. Somehow, in her mind, that meant a little bigger than what she saw at the show, not BIG.

Anyway, and advice would be appreciated, and I'll keep everyone in the loop. Sorry I rambled, but I just mostly feel terrible for Katie, and a little scared that she will always be upset about having her. That probably isn't rational.

Here are the pictures from tonight.

Branch a la Katie

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (07-22-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Remember it doesn’t mean that she will necessarily get that big and not all do
    My 8year old common boa is only 5ft she has a large rat every month and has pretty much stayed the some sort of girth as she has been for the past 4years except when she was pregnant

At least with her growing up with her she will get to read her body language and generally boas are slow and quite graceful .the corns won’t be as girthy but some can get to 6ft and are pretty much on the go all the time where at least most boas will sit and chill with you, your shanya will probably stay chunkier than behira as most ball pythons are , yes there is the exception with some overfed boas
    Good luck and remember there’s still a few years to go before adulthood for you as a family to enjoy her growing and maturing with you

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (07-22-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

^^What Richard said.^^
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

9. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Remember it doesn’t mean that she will necessarily get that big and not all do
    My 8year old common boa is only 5ft she has a large rat every month and has pretty much stayed the some sort of girth as she has been for the past 4years except when she was pregnant

At least with her growing up with her she will get to read her body language and generally boas are slow and quite graceful .the corns won’t be as girthy but some can get to 6ft and are pretty much on the go all the time where at least most boas will sit and chill with you, your shanya will probably stay chunkier than behira as most ball pythons are , yes there is the exception with some overfed boas
    Good luck and remember there’s still a few years to go before adulthood for you as a family to enjoy her growing and maturing with you

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    ^^What Richard said.^^
    Yeah, I think her slow growth is what's going to make this work. Katie will have a lot of time to adjust as Behira grows.

Still a little anxious because Katie gets nervous around Behira (at least somewhat) and doesn't seem to read her as well as the other snakes.

As stated, I will give it time and let them grow to know each other better as Behira continues to grow.

Thank you both!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Ok, so an interesting evening on the Behira and Katie front.

We were having a good night with the reptiles. The geckos were left alone, but all the snakes came out, as did Frank (the BTS) and we cut his nails (I hold, Katie cuts, although he's pretty good about it).

Behira left a lot of urine, urate, and a little poop, and although I don't think all the poop is out, I weighed her at 1,000G even.

Back to the story.

I took Shayna (BP) out and Katie held her for a bit while I checked water, etc. Katie then took Figment (corn snake) out and held him for a bit.

Then, she blew my mind. I said I was going to take Behira out. She took the drape down herself, I unlocked the door (she was sitting on top of her house, away from urine, with her nose basically against the door) and opened the door slowly and took a step back. I went over to reach for the hook and there was Katie walking over to Behira, with hook in hand. She rubbed her a few times and I explained Behira's changing body language to Katie. First, a little startled and curious, then relaxed on the house and loose; ready to be picked up. Katie started reaching for Behira! I took the hook and showed her that to be safe, I often put the hook handle between Behira's head and my arm until she melts into my hand. Katie picked her right up and spent time with her while talking to her dad on the phone and while I cleaned the tank.

She asked about letting her wrap around her neck and I explained it's okay to drape her over your neck, but not okay to let her wrap around, especially when she's bigger. I also explained to always know where the tail is, so if she does squeeze a little, you can gently unwind her.

Things were going fantastic!

We put Behira back and took baby Solana (scaleless corn) out. Katie and I were discussing how she's very much Katie's snake and how calm she is.

Katie started talking about Behira and how she didn't understand how big Behira was going to be. She said it scares her because she bit me. I explained that I understood she was fearful, but that it wasn't rational. Behira has never so much as coiled into an "S" while being held, it was an isolated incident, and since hook training, has been a non issue. I also explained that a younger, hungry and growing Boa, is probably more likely to have a food response bite, and that even after Behira nailed me, she let me pick her right up. Not a mean bone in her body. I told her snakes bite because they are either thinking of food or being defensive. Behira has never been the latter and the bigger she gets the less fearful (not like she is fearful at all now) she will be. I also said that the bigger she gets and the less she needs to grow, her food response might lessen a bit.

I pointed out that we were planning on getting a male and that she wanted Behira for her looks and I wanted her for her temperament. I had told Katie to research it, come to shows and see adults, etc. but she ultimately said, you are going to take care of her, and I like this one (Behira) as well as you, so let's get her. I don't care that she's a female even if they get bigger. She's basically your responsibility.

Katie now points out that she didn't have all the information and that Behira has darkened up and seems scarier now not being as light.

I told Katie it's great that you took her out tonight and that you are spending more time with her and learning her body language just like you have the other snakes. As she continues to grow you will have more comfort with her as well.

She didn't let it go. I asked, what would you like to do?

She said, "maybe get rid of her."

STOP THE TRAIN! HOLD THE PHONE! WHAT!

I told her that would only happen with an ultimatum, her or Behira, and that I would regret and resent giving her up if forced too.

About an hour later Katie apologized and said she was overtired and got anxious and it just came out and she was sorry.

Okay, but I keep thinking that a drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts. Are an overtired and anxious Katie's words a calm and awake Katie's thoughts?

Plus, it totally caught me off guard. Look at the juxtaposition. She takes Behira out of her tank for the first time ever and chills with her and then 20 minutes later she's the enemy!?!?

I am not sure what to make of all this, but I am choosing to focus on the positive. Katie took her out of her tank, hook and all, had a good time with her, and she just recently saw an adult female BCI, so it's still a shock.

Deep breathes and hoping Katie relaxes a little and lets this go.

To be clear, I love Katie more than anything, and would never purposely make her uncomfortable. I did not knowingly misinform Katie. I offered a ton of information, but Katie basically said, whatever.

She told me tonight she is glad we got Solana. I am not sure she has ever been so glad about Behira and feels I was too pushy about getting her. I very much might have been. Behira was basically my decision and Katie agreed, but wasn't 100% on board. This doesn't help the situation. Solana was 100% Katie approved.

Anyway, I'll continue to keep everyone in the loop. In case it wasn't clear, Behira is doing amazingly well, and is as calm and docile as ever.

Below is the picture of Katie while Behira was out tonight.

[IMG][/IMG]

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (07-25-2018)

Thanks

That was a really good read till you dropped the bomb shell.ouch
    feeding responses are always a shock especially out the blue , my oldest female when I first had her was 4 and i thought she was as tame as kahlos my big albino, but she was crawling round my lads legs and he tried to unwind her that's when he got bit, in front of her and i think that scared her a bit but not really said anything since but that was over 4years ago .I won't get her out when she's home now ,don't want to push my luck but still get the others out in the garden and she just looks at them , her grandkids love them thank goodness and are always stroking them when I've got them out
    That was all really positive especially Katie getting her out etc, she will lighten back up as you know,
    Fingers crossed she was overtired and wasn't thinking straight
    Good luck

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

15. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

dakski (07-25-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    That was a really good read till you dropped the bomb shell.ouch
    feeding responses are always a shock especially out the blue , my oldest female when I first had her was 4 and i thought she was as tame as kahlos my big albino, but she was crawling round my lads legs and he tried to unwind her that's when he got bit, in front of her and i think that scared her a bit but not really said anything since but that was over 4years ago .I won't get her out when she's home now ,don't want to push my luck but still get the others out in the garden and she just looks at them , her grandkids love them thank goodness and are always stroking them when I've got them out
    That was all really positive especially Katie getting her out etc, she will lighten back up as you know,
    Fingers crossed she was overtired and wasn't thinking straight
    Good luck

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk
    Thanks Richard.

Obviously, if I had to re-home Behira versus loosing Katie, it's a no brainer. However, I don't think Behira, or I, deserve to be in that position. She made one "mistake" and has never shown aggression or come close to anything resembling that while out. She had a confusing moment and two seconds later, was calm and let me pick her up.

I told Katie tonight that I was proud of her for taking Behira out for the first time and it looked like she had a good time with her. She responded with, don't read into that and think I like her, and I didn't enjoy holding her.

I think sometimes, like everyone, Katie just likes to be combative and/or refuses to admit that she might have enjoyed Behira tonight if that means she is wrong and Behira really is a good animal.

It's human nature.

Again, going to focus on the positives from tonight.

I told Katie if Behira was a viscous animal, I wouldn't want to keep her either. I told her when I was younger, I had gotten a king snake from a breeder and all it ever thought about was food and it was defensive. I tried working with it for a few weeks, but to no avail. I ended up giving it back to the breeder. I didn't know enough to work with it longer and I didn't want a defensive and food crazed animal.

However, Behira is clearly not that. I asked Katie to be rational and trust me. We will see where that gets us.

Thank again Richard. I'll keep everyone in the loop.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (07-25-2018)

Thanks

Behira - 2016 Female Ivory Ghost - First BCI

Fingers crossed for you mate and let’s hope behira behaves herself too for her sake

Last edited by richardhind1972; 07-25-2018 at 02:34 AM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

dakski (07-25-2018)

Page 20 of 91 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293070 ... LastLast