Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,941

0 members and 2,941 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Social Anxiety/Anxiety and Depression

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    I love the people on this forum, something about reptile people!
    XD I hear so often snake people are crazy or something but this is probably the nicest community I've ever been apart of, maybe we are crazy but it's a good crazy!

Sent from my LG-D690 using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BluuWolf For This Useful Post:

Axel28 (10-08-2017),Joci (10-08-2017)

Thanks

Social Anxiety/Anxiety and Depression

Quote Originally Posted by BluuWolf View Post
    XD I hear so often snake people are crazy or something but this is probably the nicest community I've ever been apart of, maybe we are crazy but it's a good crazy!

When you're as weird as I am, you don't tend to judge others very much.. I think this is true for a lot of snake people lol. It's not necessarily that we have lower standards, it's just that we have more open minds about people as well as pets. So yes, if this is what being crazy is like, then I'm proud to be a part of it
    Last edited by Joci; 10-08-2017 at 11:02 PM.

Ball Pythons

1.0 Normal (Fírnen)

Wishlist
    Pokigron Suriname BCC
    Mexican Black Kingsnake

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joci For This Useful Post:

Axel28 (10-08-2017),BluuWolf (10-08-2017)

Thanks

Snake keepers have to pay closer attention to their pets. I think people who properly keep snakes tend to be more empathic.

Sent from my LG-M151 using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pezz For This Useful Post:

Axel28 (10-08-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joci View Post
    When you're as weird as I am, you don't tend to judge others very much.. I think this is true for a lot of snake people lol. It's not necessarily that we have lower standards, it's just that we have more open minds about people as well as pets. So yes, if this is what being crazy is like, then I'm proud to be a part of it
    Me too! Lol We know not to judge people or animals by outward appearance or by what the world sees ^-^ Existential snake people XD

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BluuWolf For This Useful Post:

Axel28 (10-09-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BluuWolf View Post
    Me too! Lol We know not to judge people or animals by outward appearance or by what the world sees ^-^ Existential snake people XD

Heheh

Ball Pythons

1.0 Normal (Fírnen)

Wishlist
    Pokigron Suriname BCC
    Mexican Black Kingsnake

Thanks

Definitely brave of you to post this as a person who suffers with severe anxiety (every type) the thought of making a thread like this seems very scary!! Kudos to you girl!!!

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to omglolchrisss For This Useful Post:

Axel28 (10-09-2017)

Thanks

After 15+ years of suffering from severe depression, I finally received appropriate treatment and mine is now well controlled with medication. I also have moderate general anxiety and what is usually mild social anxiety. However, when I basically stopped speaking with people for a few years because of my depression, the social anxiety became pretty severe. (Thankfully for me, I still managed to keep it together enough through all this to finish my degree, get a job, etc). It's taken some real work to get the social anxiety back down to a low level, but the more I push myself through the first few times of something, the more it becomes routine and no longer a big issue.

One nice thing is taking a walk, and if you feel up to it, asking someone with a cute dog if you can pet their dog. People love to talk about their dogs with basically no feedback necessary from you, you can always talk directly to the dog, and you get to pet cute dogs. It's pretty great as long as you're into dogs. You also have the easy conversational statements/questions like "what's his/her name?" "how old is (s)he?" and "(s)he's so cute!" that can cover any and all of your required conversational input if there is any necessary.

As far as classes go, if you're not ready to take classes in person, have you considered online classes? It might even help you transition because you'll be more used to somewhat similar formats and for me personally I know that competence has always helped me. If I know I'm the most knowledgeable in the room and I am correct, it's a lot easier to speak up. Building that knowledge base makes that more likely. Even if it doesn't though, it'll at least get you on your way to your goals a bit sooner.

1.0 Pastel yellowbelly ball python -Pipsy
    2.0 Checkered garter snakes - Hazama & Relius
    1.0 Dumeril's boa - Bazil

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kcl For This Useful Post:

Axel28 (10-09-2017),tttaylorrr (10-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

thank you for sharing! i shared my own story not too long ago, and it felt really good to open up and get my feelings off my chest. it's nice of you to share, and i think stories like ours help people understand that this is something a LOT of people go through, whether briefly or life-long, and it's OKAY. i'm medicated now and – though i do fall back down sometimes – i'm better and picking myself up again. i'm still working on me right now, but i'm better.

your story matters!

Quote Originally Posted by Kcl View Post
    One nice thing is taking a walk, and if you feel up to it, asking someone with a cute dog if you can pet their dog. People love to talk about their dogs with basically no feedback necessary from you, you can always talk directly to the dog, and you get to pet cute dogs. It's pretty great as long as you're into dogs. You also have the easy conversational statements/questions like "what's his/her name?" "how old is (s)he?" and "(s)he's so cute!" that can cover any and all of your required conversational input if there is any necessary.
    to add to this: i've found that i love hearing other people talk. i don't like to contribute too much in conversations due to my anxiety, but i'll always ask those follow-up questions to someone else and let them keep talking. it's nice to see those types of people be so comfortable; it helps me relax in social situations.

one thing i've been doing a lot more of is doing things alone. this has helped me focus on ME instead of anyone else, and i also get to learn more about myself since i'm so focused. i've also found being alone in public really helped my social anxiety in a weird way. i feel like i'm floating along, dipping my toe into other peoples' lives for a brief second, then move on. you realize all those people are so focused on themselves, it's like you're not even there. it's oddly comforting! but it took many many years to get there.

stay strong, friend.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Axel28 (10-09-2017),Joci (10-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I too have suffered with anxiety throughout my life, as has my fiancé. Very brave of you to share!

We have 5 reptile tanks and 5 dogs. A total of 12 animals! We wouldn't have necessarily chosen to have 5 dogs, but she had 3 and I had 2 and reptiles, so we made it work.

Anyway, I find all the animals to be incredibly cathartic and calming. The dogs are awesome to pet and cuddle and they are generally sensitive to us when we are having a bad day.

The reptiles are also awesome and gives us something to focus on. Checking temps, feeding, handling, cleaning. We have a routine every day with them. That helps give us a sense of purpose and pride in taking great care of all of our pets.

A lot of anxiety, I have found anyway, has to do with feeling out of control and "what ifs." Taking care of the animals, especially the reptiles and controlling their eco systems, helps give me a sense of control, and as I mentioned, purpose. If I am full of what ifs and paralyzed by the anxiety, taking care of the animals is something that helps me get on track.

Thank you again for sharing.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    tl;dr

u have a snake and that makes u cool peeps in my book.

RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast