Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,086

1 members and 3,085 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Colubrids in Tub Setups?

I've been looking into getting a Blue Beauty Snake and when looking into a good enclosure for when they are young and while at Wal-Mart I saw a nice big sterilite tub that might be nice. I know tub setups for Ball Pythons is real common but I don't see it like ever for colubrids and I was wondering if there was a reason for this other then the fact that they are more display animals and their husbandry needs aren't as demanding so people keep them in tanks and such.

The tube I saw was 39L x 29T x 17W I believe. This wouldn't be it's permanent enclosure of course. I know they need larger and taller enclosures when they are older sense they are so big and are very active, I would be getting a PVC cage in the future for its permanent home but I just thought this would be a nice option for when it was young.

If there aren't any big reasons not to use a tub wouldn't that tub be a good size for a baby/juvenile Vietnamese Blue Beauty Snake? And if so what is the best method for heating a tub that size?

Sent from my LG-D690 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts
    Rainbowsnakes on tumblr keeps colubrids in tubs while they're young -- Rainbow often emphasizes looking at the snakes' original environment and behavior when deciding tub size and decorating. And I know I sound like a broken record lately, but modifying a tub that size for a CHE is super easy and it gets the job done. Plus it allows you a bit more flexibility with basking height.
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Starscream For This Useful Post:

Jus1More (10-09-2017)

Thanks

Re: Colubrids in Tub Setups?

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    Rainbowsnakes on tumblr keeps colubrids in tubs while they're young -- Rainbow often emphasizes looking at the snakes' original environment and behavior when deciding tub size and decorating. And I know I sound like a broken record lately, but modifying a tub that size for a CHE is super easy and it gets the job done. Plus it allows you a bit more flexibility with basking height.
    Alright thank you! I was looking at ones so big because all the posts I’ve seen of them people were putting their babies into 40 gallons. And by modifying for CHE do you mean like cutting an opening in the top and putting mesh or chicken wire over it them the CHE? I believe I’ve heard of that way before

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BluuWolf View Post
    Alright thank you! I was looking at ones so big because all the posts I’ve seen of them people were putting their babies into 40 gallons. And by modifying for CHE do you mean like cutting an opening in the top and putting mesh or chicken wire over it them the CHE? I believe I’ve heard of that way before

Yep, it's what I've done with Maze's cage, although I used a mesh pizza pad, because the holes are a lot smaller. Since colubrids are so tiny as babies you might want to check into something like that to prevent possible escapes.

Maze's cage from the outside as an example:
    Last edited by Starscream; 10-08-2017 at 10:31 AM.
    C. paulsoni | Inej

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Starscream For This Useful Post:

BluuWolf (10-08-2017)

Thanks

Yep, it's what I've done with Maze's cage, although I used a mesh pizza pad, because the holes are a lot smaller. Since colubrids are so tiny as babies you might want to check into something like that to prevent possible escapes.

Awesome thanks a lot that's a great idea! I wouldn't have even thought of that lol Also love the little makeshift window you've got going on there

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BluuWolf For This Useful Post:

Starscream (10-08-2017)

Thanks

O I forgot to ask, do you also have a uth or are you just heating with the CHE? Are UTHs used with colubrids or would a heat lap be fine sense the heat requirements are so low?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BluuWolf View Post
    O I forgot to ask, do you also have a uth or are you just heating with the CHE? Are UTHs used with colubrids or would a heat lap be fine sense the heat requirements are so low?

I don't bother with an UTH. Since CHEs create various temperature basking spots (if you place climbing structures underneath or around the area the CHE covers, they'll heat up to different temperatures), you don't really need a heat pad with a CHE. That allows the snake more natural behaviors, such as climbing a bit to reach the hot spots created by the CHE, etc.

(if you can't tell i've been doing research for a future russian rat snake and might already have enclosure ideas in mind. it's waaaaaay, waaaaay in the future for me. still, might as well share knowledge if you have it)
    C. paulsoni | Inej

Thanks

I don't bother with an UTH. Since CHEs create various temperature basking spots (if you place climbing structures underneath or around the area the CHE covers, they'll heat up to different temperatures), you don't really need a heat pad with a CHE. That allows the snake more natural behaviors, such as climbing a bit to reach the hot spots created by the CHE, etc.

(if you can't tell i've been doing research for a future russian rat snake and might already have enclosure ideas in mind. it's waaaaaay, waaaaay in the future for me. still, might as well share knowledge if you have it)
    Well I shall profit from you being good at preparing then! ^-^ I was thinking that about the basking spot but I like to ask just to make sure lol I love Russian Ratsnakes as well! They were actually what I was looking into when I found the the Blue Beauties and the VBBs were just so beautiful and closer to my price range for the near future lol But I’ll be in the market for a Russian Rat in the future as well!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BluuWolf For This Useful Post:

Starscream (10-08-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I have several king and milk snakes in a rack/tub setup. I just run them at a lower temperature range and I have a lot more ventilation holes in the tubs and only mist them when they are in shed, because they don't need high humidity like my pythons and boas do.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Jus1More (10-09-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I have several king and milk snakes in a rack/tub setup. I just run them at a lower temperature range and I have a lot more ventilation holes in the tubs and only mist them when they are in shed, because they don't need high humidity like my pythons and boas do.
    This is more or less the easy way to go. They have far lower humidity requirements for good shedding.

I like to use tubs with young colubrids (kingsnakes, indigos, ratsnakes, etc.) when they are young. You can pretty easily get away from paper towels, a hide, and a water dish. UTH set to 85 F. When they get bigger, I feel they need more space.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast