Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,324

1 members and 1,323 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Colubrids in Tub Setups?

Quote Originally Posted by BluuWolf View Post
    I've been looking into getting a Blue Beauty Snake and when looking into a good enclosure for when they are young and while at Wal-Mart I saw a nice big sterilite tub that might be nice. I know tub setups for Ball Pythons is real common but I don't see it like ever for colubrids and I was wondering if there was a reason for this other then the fact that they are more display animals and their husbandry needs aren't as demanding so people keep them in tanks and such.

The tube I saw was 39L x 29T x 17W I believe. This wouldn't be it's permanent enclosure of course. I know they need larger and taller enclosures when they are older sense they are so big and are very active, I would be getting a PVC cage in the future for its permanent home but I just thought this would be a nice option for when it was young.

If there aren't any big reasons not to use a tub wouldn't that tub be a good size for a baby/juvenile Vietnamese Blue Beauty Snake? And if so what is the best method for heating a tub that size?

Sent from my LG-D690 using Tapatalk
    These are VERY active snakes. I think anyone keeping them in a standard rack style tub is doing the snake and themselves a real disservice. The photo posted would be the way to do it in my opinion. I've seen cages as large as 8 foot long 4 foot wide and 6 feet tall recommended as a minimum for beauty snakes before. So keep that in mind when thinking about getting a large colubrid like this. Now that was a European guy and they tend to go big and natural but the way he describes his own beauty's activity levels I'd not be surprised if they utilize every bit of that space. The smallest I've seen recommended was 125 gallon sized which is still a 6ft long enclosure so do keep that in mind.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jhill001 For This Useful Post:

Starscream (10-11-2017)

Thanks

Re: Colubrids in Tub Setups?

Quote Originally Posted by Jhill001 View Post
    These are VERY active snakes. I think anyone keeping them in a standard rack style tub is doing the snake and themselves a real disservice. The photo posted would be the way to do it in my opinion. I've seen cages as large as 8 foot long 4 foot wide and 6 feet tall recommended as a minimum for beauty snakes before. So keep that in mind when thinking about getting a large colubrid like this. Now that was a European guy and they tend to go big and natural but the way he describes his own beauty's activity levels I'd not be surprised if they utilize every bit of that space. The smallest I've seen recommended was 125 gallon sized which is still a 6ft long enclosure so do keep that in mind.
    I think you may have misunderstood, when I said tub setup I meant something like what Starscream posted lol I understand the size and activity level of these snakes and would have never even considered a putting one in a rack. That's why the tub is was looking at was 39L x 29H x 17W or about 3 foot by 2 foot by 1 foot and just shy of 50 gallons I believe and this would only be for a hatchling/juvenile. I plan on getting a much larger PVC cage for their forever adult enclosure. This will just be for when they are small and growing. Sorry if my wording was confusing

Sent from my LG-D690 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BluuWolf; 10-11-2017 at 01:55 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BluuWolf For This Useful Post:

Starscream (10-11-2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12