Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 925

3 members and 922 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Mod Podge Safe for Snakes?

Hey again, a recent post made me think about how I'd like to seal a climbing branch to avoid mold.

I usually use Mod Podge to seal all of my art projects, and I was wondering if it would be safe to use in a bp enclosure? It's water based, but I'm not sure whether it's toxic or not.

Has anyone else used Mod Podge for their snake enclosure or know if it's toxic to snakes?

Ball Pythons

1.0 Normal (Fírnen)

Wishlist
    Pokigron Suriname BCC
    Mexican Black Kingsnake

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    It's safe but best for dry enviroments. Personally I'm not a fan of how it can get sticky and I'm not sure how well it holds in humid enviroments. However I THINK they have outdoor variants now but I recall the reviews were not great.

For a bp enclosure you're probably better off with an acrylic sealant such as Minwax Polycrylic protective finish. Plus it can come in a spray can version

This is the one I used
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C02AO2...=2ZR8XGI89JMTN
    Last edited by MissterDog; 10-07-2017 at 06:07 PM.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Joci (10-07-2017),pixie's_person (11-10-2018)

Thanks

Re: Mod Podge Safe for Snakes?

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    It's safe but best for dry enviroments. Personally I'm not a fan of how it can get sticky and I'm not sure how well it holds in humid enviroments. However I THINK they have outdoor variants now but I recall the reviews were not great.

For a bp enclosure you're probably better off with an acrylic sealant such as Minwax Polycrylic protective finish. Plus it can come in a spray can version

This is the one I used
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C02AO2...=2ZR8XGI89JMTN
    Thanks! I'll look into that

Ball Pythons

1.0 Normal (Fírnen)

Wishlist
    Pokigron Suriname BCC
    Mexican Black Kingsnake

Thanks

I used It to seal my grout throughout the whole tank. Works like a charm and there is nonmold in over a year of moisture.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paty View Post
    I used It to seal my grout throughout the whole tank. Works like a charm and there is nonmold in over a year of moisture.

That's amazing!!! No stickiness either? I recall when I was on the hunt for sealants that was a frequent complaint for humid enviroments I've read and get feedback on but maybe it depends which type of mod podge? My last experience with mod podge was it felt super tacky but that may have been because I tried using it on a smooth surface.
    Last edited by MissterDog; 10-08-2017 at 02:27 PM.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    That's amazing!!! No stickiness either? I recall when I was on the hunt for sealants that was a frequent complaint for humid enviroments I've read and get feedback on but maybe it depends which type of mod podge? My last experience with mod podge was it felt super tacky but that may have been because I tried using it on a smooth surface.
    Mine is bone dry. If water gets on it when I refill water bowls or just mist the entire tank, it just stays on it but doesn't soak in. I know that finding a good sealant is a tricky thing... I used the clear matte spray. Do it outside (backyard, drive way,...) and leave the project out there for a while. Here in social it's super windy at the moment which would be perfect to get rid of the fumes. I also made sure it's in the sun for a good amount of time. I did the whole tank and I was able to let it sit out for about a week before my snake actually moved in. I had other parts of the tank to finish before he could move in so it worked out perfectly. Before he moved in, I stuck my entire upper body in the tank for a minute to smell the inside. No more funds. Now the tank just smells like the substrate and green beans is a happy noodle.

Thanks

I've used Mod Podge for numerous projects including lots of plenty of table tops as I've done woodworking for many years now. I would have no doubts it's safe to use around your animals as it's a water based finish as opposed to oil (which also means it's not incredibly water resistant to begin with), it's just not what I would personally use. It's thick.....but not very thick or durable. My $0.02.

....I would be worried about water spills or other animal fluids soaking through it as time progresses.

What I would use is epoxy resin. It's not the most affordable stuff on the market but it looks amazing and it's 100% waterproof....if you floodcoat your cage bottom with it properly, your cage could be filled with water and still not have a single leak anywhere on it. Once it cures, you cannot find a harder or more durable finish option on the market. It's more difficult to apply but well worth the money in my opinion.
    Last edited by KevinK; 10-25-2017 at 08:29 AM.

Thanks

I've read to use clear acrylic spray to seal things for beeps, but haven't had any luck finding any so far. It can come in a spray-paint can and say it's water-proof, but I haven't found any at Lowe's or Wal-Mart yet. If you do end up using Mod Podge, let us know how it goes!