Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,052

1 members and 1,051 guests
Most users ever online was 4,261, 10-01-2019 at 06:44 PM.


» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 65,844
Threads: 240,578
Posts: 2,499,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jaymims
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 91
  1. #61
    Registered User Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,598
    Thanks
    13,121
    Thanked 7,578 Times in 4,838 Posts

    Re: Frank - The Blue Tongue Skink

    Quote Originally Posted by Jus1More View Post
    ... I really cant afford vets bills to treat problems and also did not wanna risk infecting the health of my other reptiles at home...
    This is a little off-topic but feel I have to say something: it's a LOT of fun to add new pets, but you really shouldn't be doing that without money set aside for vet
    care. You cannot assume, even if captive-bred & in perfect health upon arrival, that all your animals will stay that way. Most of us here know full well how "addicting"
    these creatures are, but they also deserve owners who are responsible about any medical needs that may arrive. Please think about that before you add more? You
    are not the first one, nor will you be the last...it's also for anyone else making similar & hasty decisions to keep adding more animals than they can really afford if or
    really WHEN they get sick or injured. Stuff happens without warning, & sometimes many animals in a collection get sick at once also.

  2. #62
    Registered User Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,598
    Thanks
    13,121
    Thanked 7,578 Times in 4,838 Posts
    Hey dakski...Toref is amazing but Frank is way more my speed, lol...& he's adorable too! Glad you got your hand out of the way in time, lol.

  3. #63
    BPnet Veteran Jus1More's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-13-2017
    Location
    Toronto Ontario
    Posts
    587
    Thanks
    1,151
    Thanked 499 Times in 288 Posts

    Re: Frank - The Blue Tongue Skink

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    This is a little off-topic but feel I have to say something: it's a LOT of fun to add new pets, but you really shouldn't be doing that without money set aside for vet
    care. You cannot assume, even if captive-bred & in perfect health upon arrival, that all your animals will stay that way. Most of us here know full well how "addicting"
    these creatures are, but they also deserve owners who are responsible about any medical needs that may arrive. Please think about that before you add more? You
    are not the first one, nor will you be the last...it's also for anyone else making similar & hasty decisions to keep adding more animals than they can really afford if or
    really WHEN they get sick or injured. Stuff happens without warning, & sometimes many animals in a collection get sick at once also.
    Thank you Bogertophis for your concern regarding my collection although I think you may have misunderstood what I was trying to say! If anyone of my babies got sick I could get it treatment, but if my whole collection got wiped out at the same time with something bad that would be a different story. I am a very responsible owner who takes alot of pride in my collection with the exception of my TP rat snake escaping. I still to this day am hard on myself for what happen, but I know I am not the only one that has happened to. Just comes with owning snakes!!! Also none of my decisions are hasty and I research before I buy. I am NOT saying I dont make mistakes because Of course I am only human but I know what I can and cant handle in life...Thanks again!
    Sometimes Less Is More ....

    BOA'S 🐍
    0.1 Hypo Hog Island Boa (Zara- Queen of the Casa)
    PYTHON'S 🐍
    1.0 Toffino BP (Javi - King of the Casa)
    DRAGON'S 🦎
    1.0 Red Hypo Bearded Dragon (Cheto - Senor El Jefe)
    ARACHNID'S 🕷
    0.0.1 GreenBottleBlue (Azul-Little helper of the Casa)
    0.0.1 Trinidad Olive (Sage - Little helper of the Casa)


    R
    .I.P. - Krickit, my lil white dog🐾
    Your wings were ready but my
    heart was not...⚘💖



  4. #64
    BPnet Veteran Jus1More's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-13-2017
    Location
    Toronto Ontario
    Posts
    587
    Thanks
    1,151
    Thanked 499 Times in 288 Posts

    Re: Frank - The Blue Tongue Skink

    Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Jus1More,

    Mazel Tov! Congrats!

    Northern BTS rock!

    Keep in mind BTS like and need a good amount of space for their body size, a varied diet (50% Veggies, with certain veggies to be avoided - you can google that, or a BTS care sheet, or I can clarify, 10% fruits - same rule as veggies, and 40% lean proteins), a pretty hot warm spot with UVB, vitamin supplementation, and they are intelligent. It will take time to earn his trust.

    Any questions please feel free to PM or start your own thread (WITH PICTURES!!!) and I'll do my best to answer them. Not too much out there on these guys, but I have learned a lot before and since getting Frank.

    Good luck!
    Thank you! I appreciate the support and excited about trading stories with you and other BTS owners.
    Sometimes Less Is More ....

    BOA'S 🐍
    0.1 Hypo Hog Island Boa (Zara- Queen of the Casa)
    PYTHON'S 🐍
    1.0 Toffino BP (Javi - King of the Casa)
    DRAGON'S 🦎
    1.0 Red Hypo Bearded Dragon (Cheto - Senor El Jefe)
    ARACHNID'S 🕷
    0.0.1 GreenBottleBlue (Azul-Little helper of the Casa)
    0.0.1 Trinidad Olive (Sage - Little helper of the Casa)


    R
    .I.P. - Krickit, my lil white dog🐾
    Your wings were ready but my
    heart was not...⚘💖



  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jus1More For This Useful Post:

    dakski (02-18-2019)

  6. #65
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-18-2018
    Posts
    399
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 455 Times in 235 Posts

    Re: Frank - The Blue Tongue Skink

    Quote Originally Posted by Jus1More View Post
    Thank you Bogertophis for your concern regarding my collection although I think you may have misunderstood what I was trying to say! If anyone of my babies got sick I could get it treatment, but if my whole collection got wiped out at the same time with something bad that would be a different story. I am a very responsible owner who takes alot of pride in my collection with the exception of my TP rat snake escaping. I still to this day am hard on myself for what happen, but I know I am not the only one that has happened to. Just comes with owning snakes!!! Also none of my decisions are hasty and I research before I buy. I am NOT saying I dont make mistakes because Of course I am only human but I know what I can and cant handle in life...Thanks again!
    I already responded to your thread about getting a Northern BTS with an injured tail and that you planned to house it in a tub.

    I want to reitarate and as mentioned by OP for those new to keeping BTS: do not get one if you can't afford to give it a large enclosure and veterinary care. This is a given for ANY species but too often I see some owners try to cut corners by housing a BTS in tubs because a breeder or someone else did it, so why not. The reason is that they do observe their surroundings and they do use every inch of floor space given. These are active lizards that enjoy basking and watching what is going on around their tanks.

    The upfront cost is expensive for a reason. If you had done your research as claimed, almost every BTS owner swear by their curious nature, the need for floor space, humidity requirements (Appliable to Indos) and that BTS of all types like any new reptile has the potential to carry internal parasites.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (02-19-2019)

  8. #66
    BPnet Veteran Jus1More's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-13-2017
    Location
    Toronto Ontario
    Posts
    587
    Thanks
    1,151
    Thanked 499 Times in 288 Posts

    Re: Frank - The Blue Tongue Skink

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    I already responded to your thread about getting a Northern BTS with an injured tail and that you planned to house it in a tub.

    I want to reitarate and as mentioned by OP for those new to keeping BTS: do not get one if you can't afford to give it a large enclosure and veterinary care. This is a given for ANY species but too often I see some owners try to cut corners by housing a BTS in tubs because a breeder or someone else did it, so why not. The reason is that they do observe their surroundings and they do use every inch of floor space given. These are active lizards that enjoy basking and watching what is going on around their tanks.

    The upfront cost is expensive for a reason. If you had done your research as claimed, almost every BTS owner swear by their curious nature, the need for floor space, humidity requirements (Appliable to Indos) and that BTS of all types like any new reptile has the potential to carry internal parasites.
    Thanks Cheesy for your reply. I appreciate your input on this topic but since my fella is still young I am going to house him in a good size tub until he grows then I will transfer him into a good size terrarium. I hear what you are saying and this is your opinion which is fine everybody is entitled to their opinion. I would hope that you are simply just doing that (giving your own opinion) and not judging or criticizing a person. We all want the absolute best for our reptiles or whatever type of pet(s) we have, but just because a person does not go about providing for them as some others would does not make them a bad owner. I am trying to tread lightly here because it really seems that you and another person claims to be the perfect reptile owners, but that is just my opinion...... Like I said, I really do appreciate your opinion/advice as well as other peoples opinions. I am also appreciative for this web site because I have gained a lot of awesome information. For the most part everyone here is approachable, encouraging and kind - And with that I am thankful!

    Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Sometimes Less Is More ....

    BOA'S 🐍
    0.1 Hypo Hog Island Boa (Zara- Queen of the Casa)
    PYTHON'S 🐍
    1.0 Toffino BP (Javi - King of the Casa)
    DRAGON'S 🦎
    1.0 Red Hypo Bearded Dragon (Cheto - Senor El Jefe)
    ARACHNID'S 🕷
    0.0.1 GreenBottleBlue (Azul-Little helper of the Casa)
    0.0.1 Trinidad Olive (Sage - Little helper of the Casa)


    R
    .I.P. - Krickit, my lil white dog🐾
    Your wings were ready but my
    heart was not...⚘💖



  9. #67
    BPnet Senior Member dakski's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-07-2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,742
    Thanks
    3,756
    Thanked 4,380 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images: 134

    Re: Frank - The Blue Tongue Skink

    Not to break up the party here, and not a moderator, but we are way off topic here.

    This a progression thread for Frank.

    Thank you in advance for understanding and taking this kindly.
    Last edited by dakski; 02-19-2019 at 09:05 AM.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (02-19-2019)

  11. #68
    BPnet Senior Member dakski's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-07-2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,742
    Thanks
    3,756
    Thanked 4,380 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images: 134

    Re: Frank - The Blue Tongue Skink

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Hey dakski...Toref is amazing but Frank is way more my speed, lol...& he's adorable too! Glad you got your hand out of the way in time, lol.
    . I call him Frank the Tank. He doesn't go anywhere fast. Still incredibly interactive and fun, but not exactly Captain Excitement. Unless you call poor Frank trying for 5 minutes to climb on top of one of his hides with his tiny legs, only to realize 10 seconds later, he doesn't like it up there, exciting. That happens a few times a week. He also loves to rearrange everything in enclosure multiple times a day. If you sit in the reptile area for a bit, you will inevitably hear Frank moving one of his hides.

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (02-19-2019),Jus1More (02-19-2019),richardhind1972 (02-19-2019)

  13. #69
    BPnet Veteran Jus1More's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-13-2017
    Location
    Toronto Ontario
    Posts
    587
    Thanks
    1,151
    Thanked 499 Times in 288 Posts

    Re: Frank - The Blue Tongue Skink

    Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Not to break up the party here, and not a moderator, but we are way off topic here.

    This a progression thread for Frank.

    Thank you in advance for understanding and taking this kindly.
    Yes, you are right dakski.... Very sorry about that!! So how is Frank doing today anyway?
    Sometimes Less Is More ....

    BOA'S 🐍
    0.1 Hypo Hog Island Boa (Zara- Queen of the Casa)
    PYTHON'S 🐍
    1.0 Toffino BP (Javi - King of the Casa)
    DRAGON'S 🦎
    1.0 Red Hypo Bearded Dragon (Cheto - Senor El Jefe)
    ARACHNID'S 🕷
    0.0.1 GreenBottleBlue (Azul-Little helper of the Casa)
    0.0.1 Trinidad Olive (Sage - Little helper of the Casa)


    R
    .I.P. - Krickit, my lil white dog🐾
    Your wings were ready but my
    heart was not...⚘💖



  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jus1More For This Useful Post:

    dakski (02-20-2019)

  15. #70
    BPnet Senior Member dakski's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-07-2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,742
    Thanks
    3,756
    Thanked 4,380 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images: 134

    Re: Frank - The Blue Tongue Skink

    Well, it turns out that Frank loves canned crickets. This is him eating his second one.

    He refused to take out of my hand, but happily ate after I put down for him, and after playing hard to get.


  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (02-20-2019),tttaylorrr (02-20-2019)

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1