Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,030

0 members and 3,030 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Frank - The Blue Tongue Skink

Frank is doing well and eating his 2 meals a week.

He eats one meal that is veggies with some fruit and some ferrets pellets. Then, 3-4 days later, he eats a meal that has all that, but also a little wet dog food and some vitamins and calcium. He occasionally gets a snail or two or a pinkie on this day as well.

He just turned 3 years old, but has gained weight over the past year - about 75G and is up from 620G.

His body shape looks good to me and when I give food, he eats his fill (about a head size worth) and walks away and I take out.

I imagine his weight gain should slow as is he is probably mature now at 3 years?

He's still a very calm and chill buddy.

Any thoughts are welcomed.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by dakski; 09-28-2018 at 05:11 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-18-2019)

Thanks

Frank didn't eat for a week and I was 75% he was starting to brumate and 25% he had to shed. Well, he finished shedding yesterday and happily ate today.

He's looking pretty suave, even in these iPhone pics.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-19-2018),Dianne (10-19-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    He's so handsome! But if you're asking for opinions on his weight? I don't see many of these & he looks great to me, but take that for what it's worth.
    He appears to be very healthy & apparently has a good appetite too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-19-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    He's so handsome! But if you're asking for opinions on his weight? I don't see many of these & he looks great to me, but take that for what it's worth.
    He appears to be very healthy & apparently has a good appetite too.
    Not super worried about weight per se.

As with my other reptiles, when they reach adult size, I am interested in body shape and overall health over a number. However, I fully believe it getting regular weights so as a keeper you can spot potential trouble, especially if losing weight.

Frank looks good and healthy to me. He also acts/seems healthy. Not too worried at the moment.

Thank you for the comments.

Thanks

Caught a picture of Frank with his tongue out today, but of course, with the iPhone, on a similar colored background, and I cut the tip of his tongue off the shot. Otherwise, I still think it's pretty cool.

[IMG][/IMG]

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-18-2019),Dianne (11-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts
    I like Frank! Nice looking boy
    1.0 Freddy -Python Regius
    Darby -Boa Imperator
    Kenny -Morelia Bredli
    La Reina -Lampropeltis Californiae
    1.0 Luciano -Drymarchon Melanurus Unicolor
    0.1 Macarena -Heterodon Nasicus Nasicus
    1.0 Hugo -Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli

Morelia Mafia For Life

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RickyNY For This Useful Post:

dakski (11-08-2018)

Thanks

Frank has been doing his "sort of brumating" thing the past few weeks. He picks at his food and hides most of the time. I went to offering food every 5-6 days versus every 3-4 this week. That helped. He dove right in as soon as I offered food today. I'll stick to that schedule for a little bit and then try a little more frequently and see how he does.

He did this last year as well. He slows down a bit when it gets cold outside. He pretty much maintains weight but is less active. To be clear, I am not worried at all, I am just reporting in case others who have BTS see something similar and are concerned. He's over 3 now (9-2015 baby) and getting into adult behavior.

Thanks

Frank has been eating more regularly of late and seems to be coming out of his brumation.

When I cut up fuzzy's for Toref, I give Frank a little piece as well. He loves them. He usually takes them right out of my hand, but got a little excited today and almost took my hand with it!

See below:

https://streamable.com/0e6p3

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-18-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Frank has been eating more regularly of late and seems to be coming out of his brumation.

When I cut up fuzzy's for Toref, I give Frank a little piece as well. He loves them. He usually takes them right out of my hand, but got a little excited today and almost took my hand with it!

See below:

https://streamable.com/0e6p3
    Hello dakski... I have always admired Frank from a far, but today I came across a 2018 baby Northern BTS and fell in love. His tail got bit off from a cage mate during feeding time but it looks like its trying to grow back. I am not sure if his tail will grow out all the way or there will just be a stump! Other than his tail he is so precious. He is very docile and doesn't mind to be handled. I was going to get an Halmahera BTS baby but for sure it was cb/farmed and that made me doubt if it had parasites? I really cant afford vets bills to treat problems and also did not wanna risk infecting the health of my other reptiles at home. Plus Northern BTS are more calmer than Indonesians from what I researched and dont need the high humidity which is another plus. Anyhow, just thought I would give you and Frank a shout out and share my news..Thank you for sharing all of your wonderful stories. I hope to create some of my own with my new fella or gal?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jus1More For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-18-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jus1More View Post
    Hello dakski... I have always admired Frank from a far, but today I came across a 2018 baby Northern BTS and fell in love. His tail got bit off from a cage mate during feeding time but it looks like its trying to grow back. I am not sure if his tail will grow out all the way or there will just be a stump! Other than his tail he is so precious. He is very docile and doesn't mind to be handled. I was going to get an Halmahera BTS baby but for sure it was cb/farmed and that made me doubt if it had parasites? I really cant afford vets bills to treat problems and also did not wanna risk infecting the health of my other reptiles at home. Plus Northern BTS are more calmer than Indonesians from what I researched and dont need the high humidity which is another plus. Anyhow, just thought I would give you and Frank a shout out and share my news..Thank you for sharing all of your wonderful stories. I hope to create some of my own with my new fella or gal?
    Jus1More,

Mazel Tov! Congrats!

Northern BTS rock!

Keep in mind BTS like and need a good amount of space for their body size, a varied diet (50% Veggies, with certain veggies to be avoided - you can google that, or a BTS care sheet, or I can clarify, 10% fruits - same rule as veggies, and 40% lean proteins), a pretty hot warm spot with UVB, vitamin supplementation, and they are intelligent. It will take time to earn his trust.

Any questions please feel free to PM or start your own thread (WITH PICTURES!!!) and I'll do my best to answer them. Not too much out there on these guys, but I have learned a lot before and since getting Frank.

Good luck!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Jus1More (02-18-2019)

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast