Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,131

2 members and 3,129 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I can't stand any more of this reptilian CUTENESS! Stop already, you're making me want a BTS! I miss cuddling a bearded dragon & noticed that Frank
    does that with Katie in your photos...I can't look any more...help!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (06-12-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Frank - The Blue Tongue Skink

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I can't stand any more of this reptilian CUTENESS! Stop already, you're making me want a BTS! I miss cuddling a bearded dragon & noticed that Frank
    does that with Katie in your photos...I can't look any more...help!
    I am sorry, but I can't stop! Frank is awesome! Plus, in case you didn't notice, I like to post pictures of my reptile buddies!

Seriously, I had an awesome Beardie, George, for over ten years before he got really sick and I had to put him down. I loved him and he had a great personality.

I wanted something a little different with my next medium sized lizard. Plus, Katie has enough issues with the Geckos eating medium mealworms and Dubai roaches. She especially hates the roaches, . I almost wasn't able to move in because of the "bugs." With all the live protein Bearded Dragons need, that was going to a be a no go!

Frank eats veggies and ferret pellets and canned dog food with an occasional canned snail as a treat. He's a scavenger. Katie loves that about him and even feeds him from her hand. I gave him a Dubai roach once. He chased it around the tank, ate it, and then has refused every one I've offered since. I believe he thinks it's too much work to hunt for food!

His personality is awesome and he's very expressive and docile. His care is easier than a Beardie temp wise (hot spot 95-100F under basking and UVB light, 90F hot side, 85F ambient, and 80F cool spot - all can drop at night), food wise (scavenger so eats everything but doesn't need live food and he only eats 2-3X a week as an adult - although he does poop almost daily ), and he's a ground dweller, so he doesn't need elaborate climbing wood pieces (he does need hides and likes to burrow though).

Not as many morphs of BTS, to say the least, but he's a normal and he's awesome and beautiful, with the cool blue tongue of course!

If you have the space, I highly recommend BTS!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-12-2018)

Thanks
    Alas, my bearded dragon used to like to burrow too! I guess they do burrow for sleep & safety in the wild, and I accidentally discovered that
    whenever 'Spike' was out of his cage that I could put a shirt or towel over him temporarily (like if my phone rang...) and he'd instantly take a nap
    under that blankie! I don't know if all dragons will do that, but I thought it was adorable & hilarious that mine did. When I uncovered him, he went
    right back to full-awake "play time", lol...

But I chose this house partly because it was smaller...if I have more space, I do tend to fill it up & right now I have 2 dogs & 16 snakes, so I really
    DON'T have space right now. (-unless...do I really need that stupid couch? I always sit in my recliner...SEE what YOU DID!?)

Until reading your posts, I've never known much about BTS....you've totally made me want one now. Thank you though, seriously!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (06-12-2018)

Thanks

Alas, my bearded dragon used to like to burrow too! I guess they do burrow for sleep & safety in the wild, and I accidentally discovered that
    whenever 'Spike' was out of his cage that I could put a shirt or towel over him temporarily (like if my phone rang...) and he'd instantly take a nap
    under that blankie! I don't know if all dragons will do that, but I thought it was adorable & hilarious that mine did. When I uncovered him, he went
    right back to full-awake "play time", lol...

But I chose this house partly because it was smaller...if I have more space, I do tend to fill it up & right now I have 2 dogs & 16 snakes, so I really
    DON'T have space right now. (-unless...do I really need that stupid couch? I always sit in my recliner...SEE what YOU DID!?)

Until reading your posts, I've never known much about BTS....you've totally made me want one now. Thank you though, seriously!

Your beardie sounds like he was awesome.

FYI, BTS use very inch of their enclosures and need a lot of space.

Frank is in a 6x2’ enclosure. He uses all of it. I think 5x2’ would work and bigger than 6x2’ is probably a waste. However, a 4x2 would probably be too small.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-12-2018)

Thanks
    I'm all for giving animals space for normal active behaviors, so I'm glad you encourage that too. I hope that anyone you've "inspired" to get a BTS
    will take your advice on cage size. (I guarantee that I will..."if & when...") This whole thread is very helpful & enticing with all your info & descriptions.

Thanks

Frank is doing great. He turns 3 years old in September.

He's been eating 2X a week for a few months now and maintaining weight. One meal is mostly veggies and a little fruit and some Ferret Pellets.

The other meal is similar, but I give him a bunch of protein as well (snails, wet dog food, chicken, etc.), and mix in vitamins and calcium.

He eats the majority of his meals now in full, as opposed to when I offered more frequently, when he picked at his food and ate just what he wanted/liked the most.

Here's a link to a video of him chowing down today on his mostly veggie meal: https://imgur.com/ZpjsrR3

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-28-2018)

Thanks
    He is SOOOO cute! That salad could easily be on MY plate.... (I've been chowing an awesome pasta salad that's way more veggies than pasta-)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (06-28-2018)

Thanks

He is SOOOO cute! That salad could easily be on MY plate.... (I've been chowing an awesome pasta salad that's way more veggies than pasta-)
    Yeah, Frank eats well!

The key with BTS is diversity and not too much protein in their diet.

To be safe, I give him a multi vitamin and calcium 1x a week with his protein rich meal.

The ratio thats best for them is 50% veggie, 40% lean (land - no fish) protein, and 10% fruit.

Thanks

Frank spent some quality time with Katie tonight. You know what that means? PICTURE TIME!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks

Frank ate his first pinkie yesterday (F/T 2-3G pinkie). He absolutely loved it and it was down in 4 bites!

Link here: https://i.imgur.com/o8WRNRZ.mp4. My apologies for the poor quality; I was using an iPhone.

Today, Frank got pet and sat with a not so reptile lover. She's not really afraid, but a little. She touched Shayna (BP), but didn't touch Behira (BCI), or Figment (Corn). She actually held Solana's (baby corn snake) back half, which was a big step.

[IMG][/IMG]

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (07-05-2018)

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast