Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,837

2 members and 2,835 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122
    Registered User Reptile$ 4 Life's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Introducing Apophis (pic heavy)

Quote Originally Posted by Team Slytherin View Post
    Yeah, I will switch him to large rats when I get the next batch. I think he’s just over 7 feet now! He’s definitely a big boy. We honestly don’t know that much about Nautas in the wild. Though people often refer to them as a “dwarf” species (it is common that species from small, isolated islands grow smaller than mainland cousins due to food supply), I have personally heard from at least 3 keepers who owned 5 Nautas that exceeded 8 feet. Two exceeded 9 and at least half of those animals must have been wild caught (as I believe mine likely is).

I think only time will tell! Of course, most snakes grow larger in captivity because of food supply. I believe Nick Mutton was the first to breed them in the US between 2001-2004; I can’t remember precisely. But he said he’s bred males at 400 grams and never had one exceed 5.5 feet. I know males of this species grow larger than females. Apophis has not been sexed, nor do I know his exact age, as I suspect he is WC...but I’ve got multiple very educated opinions estimating he is around 4 years old. 4 years means he’s still growing and already 7 feet, so I guess we’ll find out in the next couple years how big they get

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very true. There are a lot of unknowns with at play. It will be interesting to see how big he gets.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (Flicker)
    1.2 Southern Alligator Liazrds (Wraith, Magma & Annie)
    0.1 Western Skink (Stella)
    1.1 Leopard Geckos (Leo & Jade)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Reptile$ 4 Life For This Useful Post:

Team Slytherin (12-18-2020)

Thanks

Uhoh!! I guess I finally got proof that he is male. I always knew it

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Team Slytherin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-01-2021),dakski (11-30-2021),EL-Ziggy (11-30-2021),Homebody (11-30-2021),Skyrivers (11-30-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

He looks amazing for sure. Happy to see him.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Team Slytherin (12-01-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

Pops is a stud and that enclosure is incredible! How’s he doing with the pushing these days?
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 11-30-2021 at 11:05 PM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

8. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Team Slytherin (12-01-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Pops is a stud and that enclosure is incredible! How’s he doing with the pushing these days?
    Thank you! It’s been super fun to work on! It’s hard to say *just* yet because there have been some special circumstances the last couple weeks…but it seems a lot better! I lowered his temperature 2-2.5 degrees, but added a halogen bulb on the opposite side. That definitely seems to be better, as far as I can tell so far, so THANK YOU!!

I also wanted to work on his enclosure a couple weeks ago, but he was being a stubborn crab. So, I decided to lure him out with food I took the opportunity to also introduce the target for training. I did 3 small prey items so that we’d have more chances. I figured that the only way I was going to be able to work on his enclosure for a few hours (to let foam dry, carve, and paint) was to switch him and Nagini. She is so chill, you can wrap her in a blanket and leave her in the same spot for 12 hours without a problem

I made a spot for her to entertain herself, then opened both enclosures, and put a gerbil in hers (the top one). I showed him the target and let him hunt. He did SUCH a good job!! I mean, this was definitely a reckless idea for a more wiley scrub…but I was really proud. There was a time when I wouldn’t think of being near him during feeding time, much less letting him come out and hunt He started to go the wrong way, so I had to quickly hop in, grab his body, and sort of steer him in the right direction (and away from the lights on top of her cage). I thought for SURE I was going to get bloodied, but he allowed it and paid me no mind at all! In FULL hunting mode, with pupils so dilated, they were just black holes! He was on a mission and I didn’t even exist in that moment…he did so great.

But anyway, all that was basically to tell you that he ate, then immediately retreated behind the background. He stayed back there for almost a week, so I just let them switch until he was in a convenient position for me to grab him I mounted a bunch of branches in her enclosure, so the background is no longer removable without cutting the branches. If he wants to be an 8 foot snake in a 4 foot cage, who am I to argue? They both went blue shortly after that and he always takes a long time to shed. So, fingers crossed…. But it does *seem* like he has way chilled out on the pushing. And his face looks SO much better after this shed.

I’ve been jury-rigging the curtain I bought and covering half his cage at night to give him some privacy. I will actually install it as soon as he stops being stubborn and comes out for me! I just don’t want to use a drill on the cage while he’s in there He’s so big now that I don’t even bother trying to get him out when he says no. Unless he is curled up on the ground, which is very seldom. It always turns into a fight that I lose I do think the curtain will really help the pushing. I didn’t realize that he never really gets complete darkness, you know? My roommate and I are both night owls and she actually works a graveyard shift from home 8pm to 5am. So there’s just too much action going on and too many lights at odd hours…he needs the option to have darkness and not have to look at people stomping by him obliviously or gawking at him all the time. He’s a shy boy

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Team Slytherin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-01-2021),EL-Ziggy (12-01-2021),richardhind1972 (12-01-2021)

Thanks

Well, I guess I spoke too soon. Breeding season is here . The only way I’m gonna live through this is by finding him a girlfriend, isn’t it? His face JUST healed so beautifully with this shed! I left his cage open just a crack while I ran downstairs to grab the pizza, and he’s already made a b-line for the Dumeril’s lair. He’s so desperate to get to her, but all she wants is to eat him. He just doesn’t get it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Team Slytherin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-03-2021)

Thanks

He also seems to have found the flowers I am seeding for him. He carefully sniffed them, one at a time

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Team Slytherin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-03-2021),Skyrivers (12-03-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    What a character he is!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122