Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,075

2 members and 3,073 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

1st Time Breeder Help- Lost Baby

Hello to all the ball python experts. Quick background on me- I got into ball pythons roughly 9 months ago with an interest in the genetics factor of these snakes. I found it amazing how many different morphs could be created within this one species. Anyways, I am currently up to 6 snakes that i keep in a homemade rack system. Ok fast forward to my current situation, I recently was successful in breeding my fire male to my spider female and eggs were layed successfully roughly 7 weeks ago. 5 days ago i decided to cut the eggs so that i could confirm the father ( i also crossed the female with a male mojave) and to make sure no babies were having any problems. Well just yesterday i was checking on the eggs which are now in there own tubs finishing incubating and i noticed small maggots crawling around. Turns out that small fruit fly gnat looking things made it into the 6qt sterilite tub and laid eggs. I did some reading on the forum and decided that i would remove the baby carefully without tearing the umbilical cord to get it away from the maggots and let it finish absorbing its yolk in peace. Well i checked the baby this morning before work and the snake did not make it. The baby was non-responsive to my touch. Being that i am a newbie, im sure theres a million things that i did wrong, but can anyone help point out any of the major things that could have messed me up.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve760 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (10-07-2017)

Thanks

Re: 1st Time Breeder Help- Lost Baby

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Untill you know exactly when your hatchlings should pip naturally, and that you can only determine once you have incubated several clutches at the same temp, you should not cut, or you should wait until the first hatching pips.

Once you know when they are supposed to pip than you can cut a day or two before that date. Mine hatch at 60 days so if at 60 days they have not slit I actually cut (no curiosity involved because no matter what it is what it is as far as results)

You cut too early and you subject your eggs to bacteria, dryness, larva/maggots if your incubator is not sealed tight, twisted umbilicus if you disturb tge hatchlings too much during the final days etc.

Yes there are benefit in cutting but cutting too early can cause more issues than you could have ever possibly come across.

It's a live and learn experience.

The hatchlings may not have made it anyway or it may have you will never know.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (10-07-2017)

Thanks

Thanks Deborah for you advice. Yes I know and I agree completely with what your saying. What’s weird to me is that all 4 eggs were alive and fully developed. Even right now, the other 3 eggs are fully developed and responsive. Do you think the fly larvae did something or maybe me pulling he baby out of the egg. And for the record, when I pulled the baby out the eggs sack was already broken on this particular baby. I had moistened the paper towel well and ensured my temps were correct. I also lightly listed the baby to ensure they did not dry out overnight.

Thanks

Oh and how early is too early, according to my estimate, the eggs are well into he 50 + day range

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steve760 View Post
    ... eggs were layed successfully roughly 7 weeks ago. 5 days ago i decided to cut the eggs ....
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborah
    Untill you know exactly when your hatchlings should pip naturally, and that you can only determine once you have incubated several clutches at the same temp, you should not cut, or you should wait until the first hatching pips. ....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve760
    Oh and how early is too early, according to my estimate, the eggs are well into he 50 + day range
    First thing done wrong: laying date not recorded. If that 7 week figure is accurate, then the eggs were cut at approximately 45 days and are now about 50 days. But without laying date, there is no way to be certain how long the eggs have been cooking.

For what it's worth, I think Deborah's cutting date recommendation is too early. IMO, cutting the egg shell has no benefit for the snake. Maybe for the human, but not for the snake. Let the baby cut the shell and come out on its own. YMMV.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to paulh For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (10-07-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    I cut the day the first one pips. I incubate my eggs at 87*F so they pip about day 63.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (10-07-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Sorry for your loss. Hard lesson learned..

IMHO cutting is way over rated. Much more often it causes harm or at the very least serves no good purpose (other then to satisfy one's curiosity)

I would always wait until the first pip, at the VERY least. In the rare case that a hatchling doesn't have a egg tooth and can't make it out on its own.

Better luck next time!
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    I was always told that pulling a baby BP out of the egg was one of the worst things you could do.

I cut only after at least one egg in the clutch has pipped. Sometimes if a egg pips but the slit isn't very large and the baby looks like it might get it's head stuck I will widen it slightly.

Letting them pip on their own is usually the best course.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (10-07-2017),zina10 (10-06-2017)