Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,137

2 members and 3,135 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breeding

Thanks

Breeding

I am wanting to be a breeder!! I know I just got my first BP Saturday but I love them.
    I would like all the information I can get!!

Thank you!
    Ball Pythons: 0.0.1 Axel/ Leopard Geckos: 1.0 Demyx/ Dogs: 0.1 Butterfly, 0.1 Prissy, 0.1 Shelby 10. Vortex/ Cats: 0.1 Izzie, 0.1 Isabella/ Chicken: 1.0 Big Red

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Axel28 (10-04-2017)

Thanks

Re: Breeding

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ball Pythons: 0.0.1 Axel/ Leopard Geckos: 1.0 Demyx/ Dogs: 0.1 Butterfly, 0.1 Prissy, 0.1 Shelby 10. Vortex/ Cats: 0.1 Izzie, 0.1 Isabella/ Chicken: 1.0 Big Red

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The info is out there if you take the time to do some research on your own but right now this is not what you need to do, you need to focus on doing research on proper care, you need to learn to read your animal and become a problem solver (vs having people solving problem for you) only than when you have that level of experience with at least a year or two hands on experience under your belt, you can start looking into breeding, and by the time you do your animal will have probably frustrate you so much that you will likely change your mind.

Right now you have a lot to learn on your own regarding the basics and before thinking of breeding there will be a lot of questions you will have to ask yourself as well to see if it is right for you starting with the financial one.

Bottom line don't get in over your head like many have done after less than a week of ownership you need to learn to walk before you can run.
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (10-04-2017),Albert Clark (10-04-2017),Axel28 (10-04-2017),Craiga 01453 (10-05-2017),Kira (10-04-2017),MissterDog (10-04-2017),tttaylorrr (10-04-2017),zina10 (10-04-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    The info is out there if you take the time to do some research on your own but right now this is not what you need to do, you need to focus on doing research on proper care, you need to learn to read your animal and become a problem solver (vs having people solving problem for you) only than when you have that level of experience with at least a year or two hands on experience under your belt, you can start looking into breeding, and by the time you do your animal will have probably frustrate you so much that you will likely change your mind.

Right now you have a lot to learn on your own regarding the basics and before thinking of breeding there will be a lot of questions you will have to ask yourself as well to see if it is right for you starting with the financial one.

Bottom line don't get in over your head like many have done after less than a week of ownership you need to learn to walk before you can run.
    Oh, I kinda knew I couldn’t do it right away. I do need to learn more and I get that. And yes I do need to solve all the problems myself but it’s good to actually ask someone sometimes too. But I get where you are coming from. Lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZuesTheBallPython View Post
    Thank you!

Slow down. LOL.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Newbie39 For This Useful Post:

Axel28 (10-04-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie39 View Post
    Slow down. LOL.
    Yes I am going a little to fast, though, I have always been interested in snakes.

Thanks
    I agree with Deborah on this one. It is SO easy to get super excited and stoked about a new interest and go off the deep end. Right now, I'm sure BPs are your obsession and everything about them is awesome, which is normal for new owners.

I would give it a solid couple years with your current BP to see if you have that same enthusiasm. I've been keeping reptiles for ~11 years and snakes for 5. In that short amount of time, I've gone through various phases of being obsessed with my snakes, adding to my collection, being "tired" of the maintenance, etc. I am just now at the point where I am considering breeding and purchasing my first breeding plan animals... That said, this is also the first year I've incurred vet expenses on two of my snakes...and likely will a third as well... So right when I'm gearing up to spend money on animals and equipment, I'm spending money on health issues lol. Not what I was hoping for, but the unforeseen risks are part of it... Not to mention finding out if you have a vet in your area that will see exotics or even knows anything about them. That was harder than I thought it would be...

A lot of pet ownership is learning to manage your time and resources to best care for your pet and seeing how that level of commitment effects your free time and relationships. Right now, you need to be keeping track of expenses and as Deborah noted, learn to keep your one BP as well as you can...keeping correct temps and humidity, doing searches on the forums here and on Google for any and all topics you can think of, etc. You should also start keeping records... like a spreadsheet of expenses and also of data on your BP, listing weights, when he shed / ate, etc.

Coming up with a sound financial and housing plan for yourself and your animals should also be priority number one. It takes a lot of money to house and feed (not to mention buy) snakes for a breeding program (or even pets). To that end, you have to consider how you will provide for your collection and how you will find a living place that will allow a large number of snakes. Keep in mind that some apartments will not allow any reptiles. Some may be ok with one snake, but tell them you have 10 and they may choose otherwise. I owned a couple snakes when I lived in an apartment but did not even dream of breeding until I owned my own house.

If you are serious about improving your husbandry and want to look into the business / research side of breeding for future purposes, I recommend these sources. This book, the Complete Ball Python and JKRs "Ball Street Journal" and his videos.

Beyond that, make the "advanced search" function on the forum your best friend.. I can't even tell you have many times I've thought of a random question or scenario, searched for it, and had numerous threads show up in the search that helped me find my answer. It is a good tool when you are looking at things that are not of immediate importance or may have been covered before. I used it quite recently when I was researching my new breeding project with ghosts / hypos and came up with some useful info.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Axel28 (10-04-2017),B.P.'s 4me (10-28-2017),hollowlaughter (10-04-2017)

Thanks

Focus on your husbandry first. You won't be able to successfully breed until you can keep a snake happy in the first place. Slow down and do your research. I got my first ball a bit over a year ago. I'm up to 4 now, all up to breeding weight but I'm still holding off until next year until I'm completely confident I can do it. Helping an experienced breeder on his breeding project this year just to gain experience. Won't be breeding until next year though

Sent from my LG-M151 using Tapatalk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Pezz For This Useful Post:

Axel28 (10-05-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    Coming up with a sound financial and housing plan for yourself and your animals should also be priority number one.
    I can't second this hard enough. It took me awhile to transition from owning a few pets to a small collection, but the costs rise, exponentially as your snakes grow. Taking care of a few pets is nothing like managing a collection, let alone breeding. Aside from the usual upkeep there's a lot of equipment costs to think about. Racks, more thermostats, and all kinds of accessories. When you start breeding you'll also need incubators, hatchling racks, and food for the babies. You don't want to wait until eggs are on the way to think about how you're going to find and afford these things, or where you're going to put all this stuff.

As others have mentioned, vet bills are a necesseity. They're never fun, but they're important for maintaining the health of your animals. You also have to consider what you'll do if not everything goes as planned. Sometimes baby snakes come out with deformities and adults just up and die. Would you be able to put down an animal that can't survive?
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_rotten1 For This Useful Post:

Axel28 (10-05-2017),Pezz (10-05-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast