Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 680

0 members and 680 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: So this happened

So it looks like the tough name may be out. Me and the girlfriend could only agree on two that we liked, Thor and Sonny. I think Sonny has it, he is such a mild tempered easy going snake it just seems to fit. And the word play on sunny, as he's bright yellow...
    but anyway here is a photo dump.

He still isn't super active, i've caught him roaming once or twice around 2 am but he's usually curled up in his hide at 3 am when i leave for work. Im thinking about adding more clutter to his boaphile tomorrow, not sure why it never occurred to me that maybe he feels a little insecure. Im 6'2" and have pretty long legs, to give a general idea of how long he is now. I tried weighing him, but my scale broke (the adhesive on the plate gave and its hard to get accurate measurements when the snakes wont sit still) but he's somewhere around 350g now. He's up to f/t small rats every 5-6 days, and doing great! He's also becoming a lot less head-shy, we've been doing regular handling and it seems like he's definitely getting comfortable with me. Before he would jerk his head back quickly if i so much as came close to his face, whereas now i can lightly rub his head with my finger without so much as a second glance. Soon enough he'll be as comfortable with it as my boas!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dxw425 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (11-29-2017),MR Snakes (12-08-2018)

Thanks
    Congratulations on your new friend! Is he a pure mainland? I decided to get a pair of 25% Kalatoas, but I have to wait a month or two to get them paid off... My male is a Lavender Motley and the girl is a Purple Goldenchild. I can't wait to get them! Just hoping that i'll be able to keep their sizes manageable...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (11-29-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    Congratulations on your new friend! Is he a pure mainland? I decided to get a pair of 25% Kalatoas, but I have to wait a month or two to get them paid off... My male is a Lavender Motley and the girl is a Purple Goldenchild. I can't wait to get them! Just hoping that i'll be able to keep their sizes manageable...
    It wasn't specified on his display when i got him, whereas other snakes had percentages, so i'm assuming that he is full mainland. Super dwarfs are awesome, the guy a my local shop has a pure SD snow, it's pretty damn magnificent. Are you planning on breeding? And do you have breeder pictures? I'd like to see them. As far as keeping the sizes manageable it seems like (and this is not personal experience of course but stuff ive seen on the forums and youtube) the only way to ensure they don't get massive is to have a high percentage sd, and even then it really comes down to the individual snakes feeding and genetics. I'm looking forward to having a big boy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dxw425 View Post
    It wasn't specified on his display when i got him, whereas other snakes had percentages, so i'm assuming that he is full mainland. Super dwarfs are awesome, the guy a my local shop has a pure SD snow, it's pretty damn magnificent. Are you planning on breeding? And do you have breeder pictures? I'd like to see them. As far as keeping the sizes manageable it seems like (and this is not personal experience of course but stuff ive seen on the forums and youtube) the only way to ensure they don't get massive is to have a high percentage sd, and even then it really comes down to the individual snakes feeding and genetics. I'm looking forward to having a big boy.
    Here is a thread I started here about them with photos:

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-(25-Kalatoas)

Actually, the popular consensus seems to be that percentages have very little to do with their size in a lot of cases. I have talked to people here on the forum with 100% pure Kalatoa super dwarfs that are 9' and i've seen a lot of Youtube videos with 50% - 75% super dwarfs that are 14'. It seems to be that parental sizes have a lot to do with how large they will be as adults. But, their size can be controlled a lot through smaller prey items and longer periods between feedings, especially during breeding cycles. I have come to believe that it's ultimately going to come down to how relentlessly they push in between feedings...

I did decided to get this pair with intentions of breeding them someday. I don't think that it's necessarily the wisest plan from a business standpoint, but I have to try it and just hope that a few of the breeders out there, who are way over producing Retics don't have the market completely cornered. If the breeder has been completely honest with me and I can get these guys to stay as small as he claims that i'll be able to, maybe i'll have a line with smaller, more sought after sizes...

Thanks
    BREATHTAKING great pick up congratulations hope you and your noodles have a fantastic holiday season
    Domestic Short Hair - Miss Becky
    Russian Blue - Church
    Miniature Poodle - Pierre LaPoodlePants
    Banana BP - Yuri Katsuki

8. The Following User Says Thank You to C.Marie For This Useful Post:

Dxw425 (12-11-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Sonny weighed in at 439 grams tonight! He also shed 3 days ago, so his colors are on fire! Im gunna get the lightbox out and the good camera tomorrow to try and get some real nice shots of the gang. Itll be his first round so im sure they will look awesome. Its gunna be hard getting him to sit still though

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dxw425 For This Useful Post:

Stearns84 (12-09-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

He wouldnt sit still

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dxw425 For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (12-28-2017),MR Snakes (12-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,895 Times in 2,991 Posts

Stunning lil snake

A photographer suggested to me to cover the snake with a plastic washing up bowl or something , hold it in place for 20 seconds or so , have the camera ready and in place ( tripod or whatever ) then when you lift the cover or bowl you will normally get a few seconds where the snake is motionless ... it worked for my King snakes anyways ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Dxw425 (12-11-2017),MR Snakes (12-08-2018)

Thanks
    He is gorgeous! Snakes are sooo hard to photograph! Since they won't ever sit still it always causes the photos to be blurry, because the camera can't focus. Photos never do them justice anyway, because cameras and unnatural lighting just don't come close to capturing their true colors. Flashes are definitely a huge no-no! I'm actually going to be setting up a little designated photo shoot set soon for taking professional pictures of my snakes and i'm going to heavily light the set with full spectrum bulbs...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,895 Times in 2,991 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    He is gorgeous! Snakes are sooo hard to photograph! Since they won't ever sit still it always causes the photos to be blurry, because the camera can't focus. Photos never do them justice anyway, because cameras and unnatural lighting just don't come close to capturing their true colors. Flashes are definitely a huge no-no! I'm actually going to be setting up a little designated photo shoot set soon for taking professional pictures of my snakes and i'm going to heavily light the set with full spectrum bulbs...
    Try the tip I was given - details in my previous post ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast