Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,051

2 members and 3,049 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819 LastLast
    Account Disabled
    Thanks

Re: So this happened

Can't argue that, awsome.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakethesnake69 For This Useful Post:

Dxw425 (10-11-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Sonny is overdue for a new cage, and with the fact that I have a ton on my plate financially I decided to build him an enclosure, and save almost have the money Id spend on a similar sized AP. The whole idea behind the build is cheap and functional. This won’t be a forever home, but hopefully will last him a couple of years. Also I would like to note that I have NEVER built anything, so it’s by no means going to be a masterpiece, and on top of that the only tools I have are a jigsaw and a cheap drill. I’m also not planning on posting a full thread on it because like I said I’ve never done anything like this and I’m not confident it’s worth going into extreme detail over. I will post picture updates on Sonny’s thread though. The general idea is 6x3x2, with a shelf, radiant heat panel, and sliding glass doors. I’ve got pond pro arriving tomorrow to start sealing the wood. All in all it should cost me about $400-$450, but I have enough wood left over to make a 4x2x1 also.

Ive already run into some minor flaws(measurement errors, some on my part some on Lowe’s) but nothing that can’t be sanded or simply fixed. Hopefully sonny will be all set up in two weeks, that’s the goal anyway.

here he is with a fresh shed, though it’s the usual crap lighting so you can’t tell. He almost had a complete shed too.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dxw425 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (10-27-2018),EL-Ziggy (10-31-2018),jmcrook (10-27-2018),MR Snakes (12-08-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Comparison picture! First picture is a bit after I got Sonny, and at the time he had already shown significant growth. The second picture was yesterday, I’d say he’s grown a bit since!

aaaand also a pic dump:

Bob at pro products ended up having the RHP I needed on hand, and I should have it in 5-6 days. Looks like I should have the new enclosure finished before it gets here also, so he will have a new set up sooner than I had originally planned.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dxw425 For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (10-31-2018),MR Snakes (12-08-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    SherpaDesigns had a uselfull plywood build video. I don't know what species of snake "Houdini" is, but the size looks about 4'Wx2'Dx3'H. He built it to be furniture quality, and I love how he did the glass doors. White epoxy interior. I'll be using many of the specifics in his build when I make mine.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

Dxw425 (10-31-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    SherpaDesigns had a uselfull plywood build video. I don't know what species of snake "Houdini" is, but the size looks about 4'Wx2'Dx3'H. He built it to be furniture quality, and I love how he did the glass doors. White epoxy interior. I'll be using many of the specifics in his build when I make mine.
    I’ll check it out, thanks!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    Turns out this was one of the videos I was using for ideas haha. I’m using the black epoxy and a different general design but took a lot of aspects from his build.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Sonny pooped today and once I got his enclosure cleaned he started pushing. Gave home a XXL rat and he derped. This is the second feed in a row that he has grabbed the rat by its tail. It’s strange because usually he quickly inspects the rat and lunges for the body or just comes flying out after it, but the past two times he has approached it, opened his mouth and started to bite it, then almost immediately let’s go and decides to go after the tail instead. What a weirdo.

excuse the water on the plexiglass, I usually have to dip the rats in warm water after they’ve thawed or he won’t touch them and I didn’t dry it all the way. Also this is just a while after I put new paper in, which he has already destroyed. He’ll be on reptichip in his new enclosure

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dxw425 For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-08-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

So Sonny decided to be a huge pain in the a** yesterday. It had only been 3 days since feeding, and he had recently peed and started aggressively pushing. I think the pushing may be a combination of too small of an enclosure and looking for food. Anyway I walk by while getting ev rything together to clean his enclosure and he rushes the enclosure, so he’s definitely looking for food. I get him out, get his enclosure cleaned and new bedding down, and thaw him a 1lb rabbit, which is about the same size as the rats he gets now thinking maybe the change of prey will last him a couple more days. As I’m getting the rabbit out of the freezer I think it’s odd that he’s hunting but hasn’t taken his dump, usually his pushing is shortly after he defecates but whatever, I ignore it. Fast forward to later that day his rabbit is ready to go so I try and feed him; he is SUPER interested but for whatever reason doesn’t accept the scent of the rabbit so he won’t strike it. I decide to let it sit for a few minutes because that has worked in the past when he decided to be finicky. I come check 15 minutes later and he has sh*t EVERYWHERE. So now I’ve got to retrieve this damned rabbit, and move this ravenous 8.5 foot retic into his cleaning tub and the lean his boaphile again. On top of this he’s in the boaphile with the door that doesn’t help to shield his face at all. It takes a few minutes but once I get him out of food mode he’s pretty tame, take 2 on cleaning. Fast forward again he’s now in his newly scrubbed enclosure waiting on his food. I decided to thaw him the last of the xxl rats, and soaked it with the rabbit to scent the rabbit. I figure he can easily take both, and I don’t want to waste a rabbit. Again he’s super hungry, immediately on the rat, but won’t strike. After a minute or so I realize “silly me, he can’t see his tail because that’s all he attacks lately” so I turn the rat so the tail is visible to him and before I can react he’s latched onto the tail- right where the tongs are. He’s big enough to man handle (snake handle?) the tongs out of my hands at this point (admittedly it’s time for an upgrade) and as he’s ripping them away I can here and feel his teeth grinding against the metal. It sounded like it had to have damaged his teeth but he gave me a super short glimpse when he reset his jaw after he finished the rat. After he finished I got the rabbit, and he went ballistic striking the plexiglass before I could even open it. Got it open and he struck, coiled, and then deserted the rabbit. After 20 minutes of showing no more interest I snuck in and removed it and gave it to my blood. I haven’t seen any signs of broken teeth or facial damage, which I was really worried about with how hard he was striking the plexi and how he snatched the tongs. All in all an epic fail of a feeding day, and pretty frustrating all the way around. I will continue to monitor for damage but hopefully he’s okay. I managed to get one picture and I was concerned about the interior upper layer of teeth (on our left), but as of 12 hours later he seems to be doing fine.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dxw425 For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-08-2018),Stearns84 (11-06-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Aaaaand this is me holding him like the big baby he is. As frustrating as he can be sometimes he’s awesome. Usually I pull him out and he stretches and roams but I pulled him out still coiled and he hung out like this for quite some time.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dxw425 For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-08-2018),Stearns84 (11-06-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Good illustration of the breathing tube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Dxw425 (11-06-2018),Justin83 (11-06-2018),MR Snakes (12-08-2018)

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819 LastLast