Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,814

0 members and 2,814 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Ball python in tub set up?

I have kept my animals in tubs before and had good luck with my colubrids. I want to house my baby red tail boa and baby ball python in tubs eventually until they grow out. The reason for this is so that I can regulate their temps and humidity more easily. I have housed my baby red tail boa in a tub before and it didnt work out so well, as she developed a URI. This is completely my fault and I made many mistakes. I never hooked the heat mat up to a thermostat or had a hydrometer to monitor the temps and humidity. I am very regretful of this decision, I learned the hard way as some of us do. But now that my boa is completely healthy again I would like to try this housing method again. Its much easier to get your desired humidity levels this way instead of glass enclosure with a screen top. I would love some advice from people who house their snakes in tubs, and anyways I can get this to work. If not, some tips on how to keep the humidity high enough in a tank with a screen top would be lovely. Thanks!

Thanks
    I housed my male BCA in a tub until he was large enough to move into a pvc cage. I use a large tub...probably 3' x 1.5' footprint x 18" tall. I used a soldering iron to add ventilation holes around the top of the tub and on the sides.

I used a UTH and thermostat for belly heat under one end of the tub. For ambient temps, I used a metal lamp stand, hanging dome fixture, and a CHE. I hooked up the dome fixture to a rheostat (lamp dimmer switch) so that I could adjust it.

This lamp fixture was placed over the center of the tub with the dome fixture hanging about 6" above the lid of the tub.

I used the readings from my thermometer to go by and adjusted the CHE as needed.

The inside of the tub had the standard setup.. 2 hides, a large water bowl, a branch for climbing, and aspen bedding.

For a boa, you don't need super high humidity. I kept mine around 55% and that was fine. The bowl was deep and large enough for him to soak if he felt like it, so I never had any shedding issues.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

3. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

slitheryaugust (10-02-2017)

Thanks

Re: Ball python in tub set up?

HI,

I house my baby ball python in a tub. The temps are bang on. Humidity very easy to control. I also keep the room at 80 which makes it much easier.

She is in a 15 gallon tub w/ two identical hides and a water dish. I have a UTH covering just under half the tub. Its controlled by a stat. I have a humidity gauge in the tub at all times. I spot check my temps everyday or two with a temp gun. I plan on upgrading to a PVC w/ RHP panel down the road. I had the tub set up and running perfect within a couple of days. With everything spot on it makes feeding much easier as well.

I have not experience with glass enclosures but have read on here how much of pain it is. This was my main reason with going with a tub.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Newbie39 For This Useful Post:

slitheryaugust (10-02-2017)

Thanks

Re: Ball python in tub set up?

Thank you both so much! This was very helpful, I will gather the supplies I need soon and hopefully have success with the tubs