Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,574

2 members and 3,572 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Is coconut husk fibers suppose to feel damp all the time?

I just switched to the zoo med compressed coconut fiber.... he seems to like it, but it always seems cold/damp.... is this normal? I wonder if I need to increase the temperature since when I feel the place he lays on and its not very warm....

Thanks
    My first question would be what are you using to heat the enclosure and to read the temps? What are the temps reading in the hot and cool side? What about humidity readings?

Generally, I dont believe coco fibre should feed damp or cool. How long after mixing it with water did you add it to the enclosure? I used a brick of coco husk for my bp and when I first added it, it was slightly damp. However, after about two hours under the bulb I'm using it dried out, now a week or so later it is more or less completely dry.
    Last edited by honeybee; 10-01-2017 at 12:12 AM.
    - Melissa - instagram @perkyjawa
    pastel het pied ball python - Viago
    1.0.1 crested geckos - Poe & Wicket
    2.0 fire-bellied toads - Malgus & Morgoth
    0.1 kitty cat - Wanda
    1.0 german shepherd - Sarge
    1.0 bichon shihtzu - Roscoe

Thanks
    92.5 on hot, 85 on cool. Heating pads, but I have bulbs just don't use them. Migh turn the ceramic on for a night to warm the substrate up... humidity I do not have a meter.

- - - Updated - - -

but the sensor is underneath the coconut fibers..... it really does not feel that hot on top of the stuff.. where he lays.

- - - Updated - - -

And lastly, I put it in immediately after i rung out the water... probably mistake

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    it is probably just damp. Eventually the substrate will heat up and dry out, and the snake will burrow down to the bottom of the tub, where it is warm.

I have learned to air dry the cypress mulch I use before putting it in the cage. I threw it in right out of the bag once, and the humidity SPIKED like crazy. ooops.
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 10-01-2017 at 12:35 AM.

Thanks
    Are you using a thermostat for your heat pads? If not, please invest in one as soon as possible. Those mats can get very hot if uncontrolled!

Your temps seem pretty good, the cool side is a little on the warm side but only by a few degrees. I wouldn't use a CHE on top of the heat mats if those are your temps without.

As far as the substrate temp goes, your thermometer probe is in the right place. Just in case the snake burrows a little bit, you want to measure underneath the substrate for your hot side temperature. If it feels cool to you, that's probably fine! Human body temperature (ranging from 97-99 degrees) is higher than the 92.5 you're measuring, so it makes sense that it would feel cool to you. Your substrate should be fine, it should dry out periodically as well, but if it doesn't, increase the ventilation in your tank for a little bit. And DEFINITELY invest in a digital humidity meter, your humidity should be between 50-70% normally, possibly a tad higher when your snake is in shed.

Lastly, I'm a beginner as well, so my opinions on this shouldnt be the be-all-end-all answer for you
    - Melissa - instagram @perkyjawa
    pastel het pied ball python - Viago
    1.0.1 crested geckos - Poe & Wicket
    2.0 fire-bellied toads - Malgus & Morgoth
    0.1 kitty cat - Wanda
    1.0 german shepherd - Sarge
    1.0 bichon shihtzu - Roscoe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    You might have soaked it a bit much. When mixing the compressed block of eco earth, you should slowly add water and let it absorb it a little at a time. I personally recommend Reptile Prime as it comes loose but not humid like eco earth loose comes. It makes it much easier to mix with a little water to get it just barely holding moisture without it feeling damp.

It will dry out but how long it take depends on your enclosure and heating methods. No substrate for a ball python should ever remain moist for any extended period of time. It should eventually feel dry to the touch outside of occasional and lightly misting it during a shed if needed. Moist substrate also increases the chance for mold and bacterial growth. Won't be an issue if left to dry out but if it stays moist for weeks at a time, it isn't good for the snake.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Remember that what feels "cool" to one person may not to another.

Also, keep in mind that your target temps in the enclosure are considerably cooler than our body temps of 98.6. So that may make it feel "cool" as well.

As for the damp feeling, it was probably a bit too wet when it was put in and will dry a bit over the next few days.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    I spray it down and mix it up and squeeze it to make it's moist but not dripping. it does always feel cool and damp but it's not wet. If that makes any sense at all. I measure the hot spot from the bottom of the tub. They scoot all the substrate out of the way anyways so they are almost always laying on the heat.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    NO regardless of the substrate you use it should never feel damp, if it does you will end up with a BP with scale rot, this means the humidity will also likely be in unhealthy range.

Any substrate like coco coir, mulch etc should be partially dried off before using if they contain too much water.

Having a moist substrate and proper humidity is one thing having a damp substrate is another.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts

Re: Is coconut husk fibers suppose to feel damp all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    NO regardless of the substrate you use it should never feel damp, if it does you will end up with a BP with scale rot, this means the humidity will also likely be in unhealthy range.

Any substrate like coco coir, mulch etc should be partially dried off before using if they contain too much water.

Having a moist substrate and proper humidity is one thing having a damp substrate is another.
    Yup, this is why I always bake mine at around 250 degrees F for about an hour or so. Gets rid of potential bugs/bacteria and excess moisture, and the substrate still manages to keep the humidity up in that 55-65 sweet spot.
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast