Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,165

1 members and 3,164 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts

Re: Is coconut husk fibers suppose to feel damp all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    NO regardless of the substrate you use it should never feel damp, if it does you will end up with a BP with scale rot, this means the humidity will also likely be in unhealthy range.

Any substrate like coco coir, mulch etc should be partially dried off before using if they contain too much water.

Having a moist substrate and proper humidity is one thing having a damp substrate is another.
    i didn't mean damp. Moist is what I meant. I don't soak the bricks. I just bust off what I need and spray water on it and then mix it up so everything is absorbed. My snakes are def not laying on anything wet.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    You are using coco fiber? You should be using coco husk chips, the fiber doesn't absorb much water at all and doesn't absorb odors. I tried 'Plant It' since it was cheap, but had a lot of fibers with the chips. The fibers are so useless I was picking them out and throwing them away. You want to use Reptichip or Prococo husk chips. Ecoearth is similar except it's finely ground coco husk chips, it really makes a mess. I soak the Reptichip block in warm water for about 30 seconds, then lift and drain for about 10 seconds, then put in a plastic tote to expand. It expands to a very large volume, you may need two totes. I spray my coconut husk chips twice or three times a week, it soaks up water like a sponge but is never 'wet' and I don't think would ever cause scale rot unless you really flooded the tub with water. It's great stuff. I actually buy Prococo by the pallet, you save a bunch of money buying in bulk, it's less than half price.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12