Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,197

0 members and 3,197 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    So.. i waited over two weeks and offered him something much smaller... he regurgitated again. His feeding response was super strong, he really really wanted to eat. I watched closely this time and after he took it down there was some really disturbing behaviour. He would alternate between nose rubbing, trying to fiX his jaw, gazing straight up and perfectly still, to twisting his neck upside down with his tongue out and opening and closing his mouth like there was something stuck in there (but i didn't see anything). About 30 minutes after taking it down, he opened his mouth wide and began moving very violently, and within a minute the rat was back out. I looked over the rat, it was a little gloopy, saliva like substance. Also a little blood like the same amount you might see after spitting toothpaste out after a good brush. No idea whose the blood was. He is behaving normally since regurgitating again.
    It is strange that he is trying to eat at this time of year, normally he starts refusing in September and doesn't eat again till the end of January or February. He's always done this and always been healthy, presently weighing over a kilo.. this year he seems to want to continue eating.. but then is regurging. I wonder if maybe the cool side is too warm for him to drop his feeding drive, but the air temp is too low for digestion or something.. although the belly temp is 90.
    I guess i will need to take him to the vets.
    Last edited by seercirra; 10-17-2017 at 07:06 PM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    About 30 minutes after taking it down, he opened his mouth wide and began moving very violently, and within a minute the rat was back out.
    That's spitting it back out not a regurgitation, which will be cause by a few things.

Too large of a prey.

The animal was disturbed

Change it's mind.

Health issue

He would alternate between nose rubbing, trying to fiX his jaw, gazing straight up and perfectly still, to twisting his neck upside down with his tongue out and opening and closing his mouth like there was something stuck in there (but i didn't see anything).
    Have you notice this type of behaviour outside from that day and feeding, the nose/rubbing, holding his head up and closing and opening his mouth?
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-18-2017),seercirra (10-17-2017)

Thanks

Re: Ball Python Regurgitated...

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    That's spitting it back out not a regurgitation, which will be cause by a few things.

Too large of a prey.

The animal was disturbed

Change it's mind.

Health issue

Have you notice this type of behaviour outside from that day and feeding, the nose/rubbing, holding his head up and closing and opening his mouth?
    Sure, i've seen him rub his nose after eating quite a few times. Usually just once while he is resetting his jaw, and then he goes back to his hide. I've seen it other times as well, like when he's pooped or peed and wants to get out of the viv. Also sometimes when he wants to poop or pee and is trying to get out of the viv. He doesn't do it consistently. I never saw him hold his head up like this, perfectly vertical and still, and certainly never saw him twisting his neck around and opening/closing his mouth. That was disturbing to see, i wanted to take him out to check, but didn't want to disturb him.

Is spitting it back up not such a problem as regurgitation? The prey wasn't too large. I was watching him but i don't think he was disturbed. I've had him since 2009 and he's never had a problem being disturbed while eating. He has bright eyes, not wheezy, not a gooey or foamy mouth. Could it be that he just changed his mind due to something with the husbandry? As i said, he's never eaten this late but usually he doesn't even go for it, so because of that i am thinking there is something different although not sure what.

edit: Btw he is peeing fine, if that makes any dif. No strange colour or blood or anything.
    Last edited by seercirra; 10-17-2017 at 07:34 PM.

Thanks
    So, i've had a really bad few days.
    I've not taken 'him' to the vets yet. Unless guided otherwise and lacking any other sign of illness, I'll wait to try 'him' one more time when 'he' usually feeds again at the end of January.
    I've had a bad few days because on Friday evening there was a huge power surge, down my entire street everyones light bulbs and plugs were exploding at once. 6 or 7 fire engines lined up, the entire street had to be evacuated for 2 hours. The power was off till midday Sunday. For the entire time I had this 'guy' in a pillowcase, sat on a doubled up towel, on my stomach, in a sleeping bag. I spent two nights in pitch darkness and the best part of two days like this. I guess that's dedication for you.
    I say 'he' because i measured him when it was all done, and at 165cm I guess its pretty damn certain that 'he' is actually a she.
    Last edited by dr del; 10-24-2017 at 05:51 PM. Reason: edited for language

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12