Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,861

2 members and 2,859 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Ball Python Regurgitated...

I have a ~7 year old BP and today for the first time, he regurgitated a meal. It was a normal sized rat.
    He regurgitated it sometimes between immediately or 5-6 hours after taking it. I didn't see it go all the way down then i came back 5-6 hours later and saw it in the viv.
    I am quite worried but i am hoping it is just because i filled his viv with new, damp coco coir today and it usually takes a day for humidity to settle and perhaps also a while for the temps of his basking spot to come through. I've never fed him on a day when i';ve changed his coco, so i hope this is the cause.
    I had him out earlier in the day when i was changing the coco and he seemed perfectly fine. I've not taken him out or examined him since he regurged, but he seems fine. When i took the rat out he still had a feeding response so i had to push him away with a cushion, otherwise i know he'd have went for me my the way he was behaving.

What do you think? Should i be worried or just try again in a few days when the humidity has settled?
    The rat btw, after regurgitation, looked just like new and i didn't get too close, but it didn't smell bad either.
    Last edited by seercirra; 09-30-2017 at 11:02 PM.

Thanks

Re: Ball Python Regurgitated...

Quote Originally Posted by seercirra View Post
    I have a ~7 year old BP and today for the first time, he regurgitated a meal. It was a normal sized rat.
    He regurgitated it sometimes between immediately or 5-6 hours after taking it. I didn't see it go all the way down then i came back 5-6 hours later and saw it in the viv.
    I am quite worried but i am hoping it is just because i filled his viv with new, damp coco coir today and it usually takes a day for humidity to settle and perhaps also a while for the temps of his basking spot to come through.
    I had him out earlier in the day when i was changing the coco and he seemed perfectly fine. I've not taken him out or examined him since he regurged, but he seems fine. When i took the rat out he still had a feeding response so i had to push him away with a cushion, otherwise i know he'd have went for me my the way he was behaving.

What do you think? Should i be worried or just try again in a few days when the humidity has settled?
    The rat btw, after regurgitation, looked just like new and i didn't get too close, but it didn't smell bad either.
    From what I've been reading you're supposed to wait at least a week after regurgitation to feed again (I am in no way an expert nor claiming to know this 100% I'm just basing it off of what ive read)

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by omglolchrisss; 09-30-2017 at 11:06 PM.

Thanks

I am quite worried but i am hoping it is just because i filled his viv with new, damp coco coir today and it usually takes a day for humidity to settle and perhaps also a while for the temps of his basking spot to come through.

I'm no perfectionist but i would wait 1-2 week before feeding after changing the terrarium stress is bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 09-30-2017 at 11:59 PM.

Thanks

He may not have regurgitated, but instead spat it out.

Sounds like he got the feeder partially down then something might have startled him into spitting it up, he thought it was too large, etc.

What's your prey size like? Any changes there?

Did anything change around the terrarium while you were gone, like other pets, loud noises?

If it doesn't look digested, it's most likely this was a spit-up vs a full regurge, especially if he was still feeling hungry.

Still, wait a week before feeding again.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hollowlaughter For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-01-2017),Craiga 01453 (10-01-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aerries View Post
    I'm no perfectionist but i would wait 1-2 week before feeding after changing the terrarium stress is bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well, i only gave him fresh coco. I just checked the temp on the warm side and my suspicion was right, it is only 84 on the surface of the substrate. The sensor had been pushed down so where it was, was 90, but as the substrate was damp and expanded, the surface was alot less. I don't think he's stressed, when i opened the viv (after regurg) he came out fast and excited like he was anticipating food. I think its just that, when he got the food he found there wasn't enough belly heat to digest it. I hope this is all it was, i'll try again in a week.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 10-01-2017 at 12:00 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to seercirra For This Useful Post:

Aerries (09-30-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hollowlaughter View Post
    He may not have regurgitated, but instead spat it out.

Sounds like he got the feeder partially down then something might have startled him into spitting it up, he thought it was too large, etc.

What's your prey size like? Any changes there?

Did anything change around the terrarium while you were gone, like other pets, loud noises?

If it doesn't look digested, it's most likely this was a spit-up vs a full regurge, especially if he was still feeling hungry.

Still, wait a week before feeding again.
    I saw him suck down the tail and take it a good 6-8 inches down, i just didn't see it go into his belly. It was very average size, he's had far larger. There was no disturbance, no other pets and no loud noises. The rat just looks wet but no slime or any new colour on it, still plain white.

Thanks

I saw him suck down the tail and take it a good 6-8 inches down, i just didn't see it go into his belly. It was very average size, he's had far larger. There was no disturbance, no other pets and no loud noises. The rat just looks wet but no slime or any new colour on it, still plain white.
    If you can't think of anything that would cause the flight response and saw it go fully down, then the issue may prove to be something that requires a vet, i.e. a blockage. If it came back up completely, it's wait a week then offer the next size DOWN food item from what they're on now. If he does it again, then you're going to absolutely need to schedule a vet visit to look into possible internal issues.

Also double-check your humidity and temps. Something may be amiss.
    Last edited by hollowlaughter; 09-30-2017 at 11:31 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to hollowlaughter For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-01-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hollowlaughter View Post
    If you can't think of anything that would cause the flight response and saw it go fully down, then the issue may prove to be something that requires a vet, i.e. a blockage. If it came back up completely, it's wait a week then offer the next size DOWN food item from what they're on now. If he does it again, then you're going to absolutely need to schedule a vet visit to look into possible internal issues.

Also double-check your humidity and temps. Something may be amiss.
    Could it be caused by being near something smelly in the freezer? Like curry or something?
    I'll do what you say, try him something smaller in a week and take him to a vet if the same thing happens. The only issue with that is that he usually goes off feed this time of year until after Christmas. He's never been i'll, he always starts again in January, but he's done it every year for his whole life.. so next week he might not eat and it'll just because because he's off food. I'll take him to the vets if he regurgitates again.
    Last edited by seercirra; 09-30-2017 at 11:45 PM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When dealing with a regurgitation you need to wait TWO WEEKS and I cannot stress enough the importance of this.

After that it will either happen again or it will not

If it does you need to consider the followings

Bad feeder

Low temperatures not allowing proper digestion

Stress

Internal parasites

Based on your description it looks like the rat was not even in the process of being digested so I would have to go with the rat being spitted back out which is generally due to disturbance or size.

Either way because you have limited experience and your description may or may not be correct I would recommend to wait two weeks.
    Deborah Stewart

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-01-2017),EL-Ziggy (10-01-2017),hollowlaughter (10-01-2017),omglolchrisss (10-01-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I would wait 2 weeks before offering again.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (10-01-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast