Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,173

0 members and 3,173 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Fire Skinks and pinkies...

I'm having a little difficulty finding more info on this. Most of the info I can find is caresheets that suggest feeding pinkies to your skink no more than once a month. My skink seems to LOVE them. I've offered pinkies 3 times since I got him in March and twice since Aug and his feeding response is pretty impressive.

I'm just wondering, why it is suggested to limit pinkies to once a month?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 09-27-2017 at 08:31 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    bump...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: Fire Skinks and pinkies...

Not really sure but I know overall mice pinkies are low nutritional value and are about 85% moisture. As opposed to maybe a rat pinky or a weaned mouse whose calcium and protein percentages are higher.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-29-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    I'm having a little difficulty finding more info on this. Most of the info I can find is caresheets that suggest feeding pinkies to your skink no more than once a month. My skink seems to LOVE them. I've offered pinkies 3 times since I got him in March and twice since Aug and his feeding response is pretty impressive.

Thanks in advance.

Probably something to do with them being largely insectivorous. Sure, if they come upon a nice little nest of rodents in the wild they might gorge but it's not going to be a common occurrence. When feeder insects are so readily accessible, there's really no good reason to deviate from the more natural diet.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (09-29-2017),Craiga 01453 (09-29-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanks guys

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post

Thanks in advance.

Because of the very high fat content when compared to insects. Skinks might happen upon some rodents in the wild but it's not gonna be as common as the main staples of their diet. Therefore their systems aren't designed to handle that fat load. This can cause them to get a disease called fatty liver disease and if they don't get that they'll just get regular fat which isn't very healthy for reptiles or well most things.

There are benefits however to offering them as treats, one being the added boost in calcium which is great, but like most treats they are best used in moderation. If your feeder supplier is out of bugs for whatever reason doubling up on pinkies in a month isn't gonna kill them but its best to keep those situations few and far between.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jhill001 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (09-30-2017),Craiga 01453 (09-30-2017)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jhill001 View Post
    Because of the very high fat content when compared to insects. Skinks might happen upon some rodents in the wild but it's not gonna be as common as the main staples of their diet. Therefore their systems aren't designed to handle that fat load. This can cause them to get a disease called fatty liver disease and if they don't get that they'll just get regular fat which isn't very healthy for reptiles or well most things.

There are benefits however to offering them as treats, one being the added boost in calcium which is great, but like most treats they are best used in moderation. If your feeder supplier is out of bugs for whatever reason doubling up on pinkies in a month isn't gonna kill them but its best to keep those situations few and far between.
    Thank you. This was more or less where my thinking was. Was hoping to confirm my thoughts.