Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,781

4 members and 2,777 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Is this everything? BP advice needed.

Hello! First post here, let's get straight to the point.

Most likely, if everything goes well, I will be getting a BP by the end of November. As I am still in high school, parental permission is a thing, but before I explain to them any further my plan, I want to be sure I'm not giving false information. I'm going to list basic things, and PLEASE tell me if they're wrong, or if I could change anything.

I will probably get a male at my city's reptile show (Cin City Reptile Show. Anyone know any really good breeders?)
    Since I will be getting a young one, he will begin in a ten gallon tank that I have lying around, which I need to get latches for, since it's not a secure lid. Newspapers will be the first substrate, and I will upgrade into a 20/25 gallon once he's an adult. I'm unsure what substrate would be best to use. Suggestions?

Heating; I will buy an undertank heating mat, much like what I already have for my leopard gecko. I do have a heating lamp that I got for free with said gecko that is currently not in use, so If I really need it to be hotter, I've got that covered. Any recommended thermometers? What brands?

Feeding: This is what I'm the most concerned about. What is a good rule for food size? Should I begin with mice or rats? What sizes at about what age? I'm absolutely going to buy them frozen. However, I've heard that BP's are picky eaters sometimes. Would I be able to pop a thawed mouse/rat back into a freezer to try again another day, or would I have to throw it out?

That's the very very basics that I've had leftover questions about. I've got hides covered, and I know about humidity. Any other tips for a first time snake owner would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Re: Is this everything? BP advice needed.

Good to hear you're doing your research 1st before going out and buying a BP. I recommend searching on each of these topics on this board to get a further and deeper explanation but i'll hit on a couple of things.

The 1st thing that jumps out to me is that you don't mention a thermostat which is probably the most important thing to have to ensure your snake does not burn himself and possible die. You need a thermostat to regulate each source of heat you tend to to use in your enclosure (i.e. heat mat, heat lamp, etc..)

As for substrate, I've always heard Reptichip as being one of the best but I personally have high humidity issues so I switched to newspaper (which really hasnt helped my issues but that's another story

Thermometers, I recommend buying a couple digital thermometers to measure hot side and cool side surfaces as well as ambient temps. You'll also need something to measure humidity (you can buy a combo which reads humidity and temps but again, I recommend a digital unit and not those cheap stick-ons you see in the petstores.

Feeding: search on this site for a feeding chart which will give you a good idea on size to feed. The size of your snake will dictate whether mice or rats should be used to start with. If you go the frozen route, I would highly recommend you buy an established eater on frozen. That's what I did and I've been successful so far. I've never had to throw a out an uneaten mouse but I would be a little scared to keep one just because of bacteria reasons. I'm sure there is plenty to read on this site about this.

Good luck!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

littlej (09-27-2017),tttaylorrr (09-26-2017)

Thanks

Well it sounds like you're on the right track. I can only give advice on the husbandry, so here goes.

You will probably be better off witha ceramic heat emitter to maintain the ambient temperature, not a heat lamp, as having a light on 24/7 can stress out your noodle. Just make sure whatever you use is not too hot (Ex. An 100 watt bulb that keeps the tank at 100 degrees Farenheit). I use an indoor/outdoor thermometer so that I can monitor both ends of the tank at once.

As for the UTH, you should definitely keep it on a thermostat. I recommend one called Jump Start, it comes with a probe so that you can accurately control the temp.

Hatchling bps usually get hopper mice as their first few meals, but soon they'll need bigger meals. There is a good feeding chart on this forum, but unfortunately I cannot attach it from my phone. The general rule is that you should feed a meal that is about as big as your snake's widest point, and that you should always throw the rejected food away.

Can someone post the feeding chart to this thread?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    Here's the feeding chart
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Joci (09-26-2017),littlej (09-27-2017),tttaylorrr (09-26-2017)

Thanks

Woah, thank you all. That chart is ridiculously amazing, I'll be sure to save that! I'll try reptichip once he's an adult, and if I encounter any problems, resume using newspapers. Thank you, ckukn, for the advice. I'm still confused about how the thermostats would connect to the heating pad/whatever heating source I use. Also, any good undertank heaters you could recommend? Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    For thermostat set up with heat pads you'd put the thermostat probe between the bottom of your cage and the uth and secure it with tape. Keep in mind this will be outside your cage/tank. Depending if your cage/tank has a stand, you may want to use risers or funiture pads (or even cardboard and foam) to make space for your uth.

This chart describes it better than I can :p credit to @tttalorrr!

As for a recommended UTH, can't go wrong with Ultratherm heat pads from reptile basics! http://www.reptilebasics.com/ultratherm-heat-pads
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (09-27-2017),KpSadam (09-27-2017),littlej (09-27-2017),tttaylorrr (09-27-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littlej View Post
    Hello! First post here, let's get straight to the point.

Most likely, if everything goes well, I will be getting a BP by the end of November. As I am still in high school, parental permission is a thing, but before I explain to them any further my plan, I want to be sure I'm not giving false information. I'm going to list basic things, and PLEASE tell me if they're wrong, or if I could change anything.

I will probably get a male at my city's reptile show (Cin City Reptile Show. Anyone know any really good breeders?)
    Since I will be getting a young one, he will begin in a ten gallon tank that I have lying around, which I need to get latches for, since it's not a secure lid. Newspapers will be the first substrate, and I will upgrade into a 20/25 gallon once he's an adult. I'm unsure what substrate would be best to use. Suggestions?

Heating; I will buy an undertank heating mat, much like what I already have for my leopard gecko. I do have a heating lamp that I got for free with said gecko that is currently not in use, so If I really need it to be hotter, I've got that covered. Any recommended thermometers? What brands?

Feeding: This is what I'm the most concerned about. What is a good rule for food size? Should I begin with mice or rats? What sizes at about what age? I'm absolutely going to buy them frozen. However, I've heard that BP's are picky eaters sometimes. Would I be able to pop a thawed mouse/rat back into a freezer to try again another day, or would I have to throw it out?

That's the very very basics that I've had leftover questions about. I've got hides covered, and I know about humidity. Any other tips for a first time snake owner would be greatly appreciated!
    Hi I have a zoomed heating pad hooked up to a stat. (Works great). Have you thought about purchasing a cheap tub instead of using the tank? You might have trouble with humidity using newspaper in tank. I have on thermometer (Wireless) gauging humidity and ambient temps. I had a probed thermometer in the tub to get my temps right before purchase of the BP. Now I go in and spot check my temps with a thermo gun (daily).

Thanks

Thank you for the thermostat image- it clears up a lot of questions. I would like to use a tank, since this is more for being a pet, and I'd like full visibility. So, I'll get one at a reptile show; anything I should look out for? And any tips for a future BP owner?

Thanks

Little bump

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Just remember that full visibility when it comes to ball pythons might not be best for ball pythons. They are not the most gregarious of animals.

Not to dissuade you from getting a glass tank. They can work quite well. It is possible to keep husbandry conditions on point in a glass enclosure but more times than not, it is extra work.

Here are some common considerations you often need to take into consideration with a glass tank:

• Glass is not the best insulator against heat loss. Meaning it tends to let heat go more than plastic or PVC.
    • Glass tanks often are not the most accommodating for a timid ball growing up. It often tends to work best if you block off the sides and back
    • Glass tanks often come with a metal screen top. Not the ideal means of retaining humidity. This often requires modifying the top by blocking off most of it with foil or tape.
    • Glass can crack. It's not uncommon for the bottom of an enclosure to crack during a move

So while it can and has worked for thousands of people over the years and there is no reason why you shouldn't use one, do consider the alternatives such as plastic bin or rack systems and PVC enclosures. They often offer better sense of security and husbandry control which can mean less fine tuning of temps and humidity over the life of your pet.

Is the investment a little higher? Yes initially for a PVC enclosure but I can attest that I have spent more time and money keeping up with my glass enclosure than if I were to have bought a PVC enclosure from the start.

Now if you however want to go with the bio active substrate route then you most likely will have a better option with glass.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast