Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,811

2 members and 2,809 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Yeah, I wish Ray's website was up-to-date in terms of prices, etc. I don't think he has updated it in years, so the prices are what the market value used to be. The BTS market has been growing rapidly the last few years here in the US and thus, prices have risen.

The average price on a captive bred northern is around $250+ The better the lines, the better the color, the more expensive they can be. The specially bred lines, like sunset, high white, etc. usually go for around $500+ and I've seen some at shows for $1,200.

If you want a BTS, I would just wait and save up. They are worth the cost as they live a long time...like ~30 years and are great pets. Here in the US, babies are born in spring and summer and tend to sell out quickly. I agree with BPGator...Check out the BTS groups on facebook and the forum I linked in my last post. See if anyone is selling right now and check out their breeder listing. You may have to wait until next spring when all of the babies are available.

I would not get a wild-caught indo...If you see a BTS for very cheap online, it is probably WC and may have health issues.

Another option could be a captive bred pink tongue skink. They have personalities similar to BTS and are a little smaller. They also tend to climb more. I know there is at least one guy on one of the FB BTS groups that breeds them. I think he was selling them for ~$250 each.

With reptiles, it is worth saving and getting what you want. I know many people that decided to get a less expensive morph or animal than the one they really wanted and just weren't happy in the end. If money is an issue, you can always save up cash you get for your birthday, Christmas, etc... I did this to afford a nice thermostat.

If you do decide that a BTS is just too expensive for you, then you could always try a leopard gecko. I've heard they are pretty mellow and your setup is similar to what one would need.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

2. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

GpBp (09-27-2017)

Thanks

Re: Getting a northern blue tongue skink, questions!

Thank you guys all for your help I was looking at the fire skink, and they seem great! I'm just wanting a reptile thats cheap and affectionate. African fire skinks are cheap and cool and all, but idk.. I just want something that gets not top big, not too small, and is just a super cool, super chill animal *And will do well in a 40 gallon long.. :/ Anything..?

Thanks

Just because I used to feel the same way you do now, I wanted to point something out. Reptiles don't really get "affectionate". I've seen SOME cases of tegus acting like dogs but thats about as far as I'd go. (I would not put them in the same category as dogs) Are there skinks and beardies that seem to be more "chill" with their owner? 100%. But the truth of it is reptiles don't show affection. For reptiles, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, my understanding is your either food/not food and/or prey/not prey. I have a ball python that has never once got defensive with me or struck at me and maybe in the the beginning I would have taken this as a sign of "affection" but it isn't that at all. Find an animal you feel you'd be able to bond with the most. And by bond I mean you bonding with it and it not bonding with you. Just a quick handling session of my bp or hoggie (I'm working on my crestie ) or even cleaning their cages takes my mind off things for a while and I love that experience. Plus they're just incredible and misunderstood creatures.

I don't know much about leopard geckos but with your price range and 40g tank I'd say look into them. If you can get a bigger setup, look into beardies.

Thanks
    African fat tail and leopard geckos are the first that come to mind. Most are pretty laid back.

That said, I totally agree with cron14. Don't expect affection from a reptile. They learn to tolerate people handling them and may learn to associate you with food or getting to come out of their enclosure. They may sit on you, allow you to pet them, but don't form emotional attachments like dogs / cats. They are not group animals and don't bond like group / pair animals would. Many reptiles will be defensive when young or not used to handling...i.e. scared, hiss, run away, gape, fake bite, etc. They will do this until you've handled them enough that they realize you aren't going to eat them. Feeding them also helps them associate you with food, which is a positive thing.

I own 11 different types of reptiles and although they all tolerate handling and some seem to enjoy exploring / crawling on me, I'd not say any show affection.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

6. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Jus1More (10-09-2017)

Thanks

I understand. My ball python, Geno, I know trusts me but doesn't necessarily love/care about me. And I'm fine with that! I like to believe he does I just want something like that. Just not really fast and willing to let you touch/pet them? Geno will just sit with me and let me love on him while I do my work or something. Or just hang around my neck and watch TV with me Something like that. Leopard geckos are alright, I have nothing against them but, they can be pretty fast when they feel like it. I just want a lil chubby baby like a blue tongue I'm liking the fire and pink tongue skinks though. Do those make good handling animals..?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I don't know about pink tongues, but for what you're looking for a fire Skink probably isn't the right animal. They handle well, but not the way you're hoping.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

GpBp (09-28-2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12