Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,037

1 members and 3,036 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Mice not producing

Hello all!

I have breed rats a lot but trying to get a mouse colony started and having the damdest time. I have 1 male and 4 females. They are in a 10gal tank with 3 hides, a water bottle and a wheel. I placed the male with 3 females at first and waited 14 days. Then removed the male into his own tank and waited another 10 days. None of the females looked pregnant at all. Shortly after that the male died in his cage. Not sure what happened. Went out and got a new male and a 4th female. Placed them all together and about 14ish days in I separated the male. A week later the females still have nothing. I placed the male back in and about 4 days later I think that one or two females look a little extra plump, but I am not sure. I separated out the male again today and will give them a while.

With my fancy rats I never deprecated the males but I hear that mice can be bad about males killing babies to put the females back in heat. So that is why I am doing that. I am feeding forti-diet rodent blocks at twice the bag recommended feeding of 1 block per day per mouse. So each night I drop in 8 blocks. I also throw in a little dog food about once every 4-5 days.

Anything sticking out as wrong or or am I impatient or what? Just need to get me some pinky babies soon.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    I never had much luck rotating mice around so I keep it simple. I'll pull 3-4 females from 1 colony and 1 male from another and raise them together from weanlings.

Thanks

Re: Mice not producing

So if I ever get some babies then raise a new colony from weanlings and have leads trouble? Sounds good to me. I have the space for a couple 1.4 groups in a rack I built using concrete mixing tubs.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    You have to give rodents a little time to settle in. I'm sure they'll produce given good care and some time.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (09-27-2017)

Thanks

It took me 3 months to get my colony going. Had 4 females , 2 males, split into 2x1 per tub. I was getting frustrated. I finally figured out it was the temp. My house is kept at 75 degrees, but my back room gets warmer due to 2 exterior walls ( maybe 80). Moved my breeders in a room that got a lot of cool air, ended up with 4 litters in a heartbeat. Each mom gave birth to 12+. It was crazy. I have one breeding/non-weaned tub, 2 tubs for weaned by sex, 2 critter small cages for my 2 breeding males. I have 2 random cages that's i use for male fighters, and to quarantine when I pick up a new mouse to prevent inbreeding genetics. I only have one snake eating 2 adult mice per week. I'm selling my extras to a friend, and plan to do one litter a month to maintain. I have a cage process that keeps smell down. 1 layer newspaper, thin layer corn cob bedding (cheap in bird section), layer of pine for weaned or paper bedding for moms/babies, then shredded newspaper strips and toilet paper roll centers for fun. I also give mine wheels and hides to keep them active and happy.

Thanks

Factors that "MIGHT" affecting your success.

What are the age of your females? Maybe their body are not yet ready to breed, yes they can be mated by the male, plugs can be visible, but it's their body that is telling them not yet.

SOME males eat their off-springs because of stress, jealousy maybe? hahaha But my males are kept together with their respective harems. They are good husbands too, they tend to clean the pups and prepare their nest. I suggest dump the dog food.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

I agree with wolfy that you need to give them more time. Also I do 1 male to 2 females and that works for me. I change out the bedding regularly every 6 days. I have three litters right now and leave the males in with the females. As long as there is plenty of food and clean water will minimize or eliminate cannibalism.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.