Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,089

0 members and 2,089 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Balding Boa??

Thanks

Balding Boa??

I noticed some odd scales on my boa's head after his last shed, I kind of thought it was some rub because he had gotten stuck in a tight spot recently, but he just shed again and the spot is still there although maybe expanded now. To the touch it feels very different than the rest of his head scales, softer and not as slick, I've never held a scaleles or scalesless head snake but, honestly, It really feels like what I imagine the skin without the scales feels like – has anyone ever heard of something like this happening??
    Everything else is normal, no sign of health issues whatsoever and husbandry his spot on (79/88 F, 76% humidity)

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    1.0 Central American BI: Irwin
    0.1 Jungle, het snow BI: Gimel
    1.0 green albino, het granite Burm: Dr. Waffles
    1.0 Betta fish: Convertible
    1.1 cats: Tipitina (Tipi) and Professor Longhair (Fess)
    0.1 Egyptian baladi dog: Toasty

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Balding Boa??

Are you 100% sure it's not a remain of the before last shed? Because it has appeared after the before last shed.

Thanks
    Someone made a suggestion to me that sounds very plausible. The marks appeared the night after his last shed (6 weeks ago). I didn't actually se if they were there already b/c it was dark as i was taking him out, but as i did he got all squirrely on me and tried to go behind some shelves. I had to tug him a bit to get him out, harder than i wanted to, but if he had gotten into this particular spot theres no telling how i would have gotten him out. So then i notice the marks, and it looks a lot like one time when i actually saw him get his head stuck scrape some scales getting out, so i assumed thats what it was. So the suggestion made is that the injured scales from that night 6 weeks ago didn't get to heal completely before he went into his cycle this time and these marks reflect the unhealed state of those scales. The assumption is that they will heal and go back to normal within a couple of sheds. Thats fine with me, i just hope its that simple.
    1.0 Central American BI: Irwin
    0.1 Jungle, het snow BI: Gimel
    1.0 green albino, het granite Burm: Dr. Waffles
    1.0 Betta fish: Convertible
    1.1 cats: Tipitina (Tipi) and Professor Longhair (Fess)
    0.1 Egyptian baladi dog: Toasty