Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 614

1 members and 613 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Exclamation Wild Mouse + Domestic Mouse?

So five days ago I was walking in a forest park with my sister, and we stumbled across a baby mouse. It was just lying in the trail. It’s eyes were still closed, and it could barely walk. It did have fur though. We picked it up and decided to take it home and nurse it back to health. It didn’t put up a fight at all, as if it had given up. We fed it goat milk (and we still are). We later found out he was male. His eyes are open now and he’s running around, and his condition has definitely improved. We suspect his mother must have abandoned him because we found a large lump on his back that looks like some sort of physical deformity (he’s acting too energetic to be sick). Anyways, we figured we may as well keep him and care for him. I did some research and I found out that if mice don’t have a companion to live with, they can grow very depressed and their health will actually suffer. I am considering buying a domestic mouse from a pet store to keep him company, but of course I have my concerns. I’m not sure if they’ll fight, or one might try to kill the other. Also I’m not sure if the domestic mice could get a disease from the little guy. Not to mention he’s male, so keeping him with another male is completely out of the question, but I also don’t want a bunch of baby mice. Here are my questions:

Is it ok to keep a domestic mouse and a wild mouse together?
    and if so- is it possible to get a male mouse neutered or castrated?
    Thank you in advance, all answers are appreciated!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Alpen For This Useful Post:

LyraIsGray (06-02-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 995 Posts
    When I was younger I got two male mice from a pet store and they were okay together for about a month (they were really young when I got them) and then they started to fight. They had been raised together from being fairly small but as soon as those sexual hormones kicked in they tried to kill each other. I ended up having to separate them. I know with rats you can keep two boys together and they are happy as clams, but I don't know if you can keep male mice together without blood. I think it would be hard to find a vet willing to neuter a mouse, that would be delicate difficult work.

Thanks

Re: Wild Mouse + Domestic Mouse?

Yeah, that’s what I was worried about... I guess I’ll have to call some of the veterinarians nearby and ask if they’d neuter a mouse. While I was researching I found that some vets would do it, but you can never be too sure.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    I believe wild + domestic = fighting and dead mice.

You might want to find a wildlife rehab who can take it in, or advise you on care to return him to the wild.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "