Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,261

1 members and 1,260 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: what do people think about brian gundy's humidity recommendation ?

Yea see my problem is that I have 8 ft of bearded dragon heat that sucks out the humidity along with the three other heat lamps in the room that's 9x9 so even in Florida that room can get grossly warm. Humidity in the house stays around 55-60% but in that rooms sucks it down to 35-40 depending on how much it rains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Aerries For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (09-22-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aerries View Post
    Yea see my problem is that I have 8 ft of bearded dragon heat that sucks out the humidity along with the three other heat lamps in the room that's 9x9 so even in Florida that room can get grossly warm. Humidity in the house stays around 55-60% but in that rooms sucks it down to 35-40 depending on how much it rains.

In that case, I'd just keep them in a tub / rack setup and use a substrate that will retain some humidity without molding, like reptichip / prococo. The substrate doesn't have to be wet, but provide a good sized water bowl in the setup and see what you get.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

4. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (09-22-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    That's really interesting, I've never heard of not worrying about the humidity. I'd really like to know what his ambient humidity in his house is, I'm surprised he never even measured it? I can't seem to find his address, where is he located? I'd like to know what the ambient humidity is where he lives. Personally I'd like to try a newspaper substrate with no humidity too if I can pull it off. Great post, thanks for sharing!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    In that case, I'd just keep them in a tub / rack setup and use a substrate that will retain some humidity without molding, like reptichip / prococo. The substrate doesn't have to be wet, but provide a good sized water bowl in the setup and see what you get.
    Sadly I'm not fond of the tub/rack setup, the room for us is designed for a more visual encounter, I have my niece and nephew over a bit and they love seeing all the reptiles and I honestly don't mind the small amount of extra care I have to have for humidity.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerries For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-22-2017),Godzilla78 (09-22-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Sadly I'm not fond of the tub/rack setup, the room for us is designed for a more visual encounter, I have my niece and nephew over a bit and they love seeing all the reptiles and I honestly don't mind the small amount of extra care I have to have for humidity.

I'm with you on this one. I love display setups and personally wouldn't want my animals in racks where I couldn't enjoy them as much visually. I'm willing to put in the work to maintain proper husbandry.
    I really want to get going on a stackable PVC enclosure setup though. I want to grow my reptile family without sacrificing visual appeal and without having glass enclosures EVERYWHERE in my house

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (09-22-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    I'm with you on this one. I love display setups and personally wouldn't want my animals in racks where I couldn't enjoy them as much visually. I'm willing to put in the work to maintain proper husbandry.
    I really want to get going on a stackable PVC enclosure setup though. I want to grow my reptile family without sacrificing visual appeal and without having glass enclosures EVERYWHERE in my house
    lol I hear ya, I have 20+ feet of glass enclosures 6 total enclosures in one room 🤣 three BP a RTB and two dragons

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

lol I hear ya, I have 20+ feet of glass enclosures 6 total enclosures in one room 🤣 three BP a RTB and two dragons

Hahahaha, right? I have glass everywhere too. Snakes, Skink, fish. Plus the ferret enclosure (6'x6'x4' closet I turned into their enclosure). So hoping PVC will allow me to consolidate and grow at the same time

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I remember watching that Brian Gundy video and found it confusing too. Northern California tends to be humid.

I've been thinking about humidity a lot recently. New Mexico is dry, and my native "dry" Sonoran Gopher and Rosy Boa have been kept in dry glass tanks, Reptichip substrate. However, in the wild, these desert snakes spend most of their time under rocky sheltered areas, near the damper ground. They (Rosy Boas excepted??) venture out mostly at night. The thing about the Trans Pecos specifically, is they really need good ventilation if they are to remain healthy long term in captivity, and if tubs are used, the tubs should be drilled on the sides. Rhodes says these snakes can and do thrive in even FL humidity; they just need good air exchange.

Back to BP's, this is likely what Brian Gundy was getting at, but he explained it in a confusing way; he said, damp air breeds bacteria. Well, damp stagnant air breeds bacteria. Also, he wasn't taking into account his own mild climate, and he wasn't addressing the many BP owners who struggle with dry stuck sheds. He just shows his own box of complete intact sheds, and says, "Don't worry about humidiy." Well, that is NOT the experience many others are having , and it's NOT helpful!

After reading Rhode's The Complete Suboc, I decided to take Rhode's advice, and offer a humid hide to the Trans Pecos Rat and my other two "dry" snakes. I chose the usual plastic "Tupperwares" that were suitable sized for each snake, cut a hole three times the snake diameter, and stuffed the thing with moist "Forest" moss. Basically standard advice for BP's in dry atmospheric conditions. My snakes do spend time in those,and the Rosy has actually stopped cruising. (I was getting concerned for her - she was testy, she wanted something, and I wasn't sure what was needed.)

So, my take on this is: when in doubt, offer a humid hide. Then, you don't have to worry so much about accurately measuring humidity.
    Last edited by distaff; 09-22-2017 at 11:29 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    I decided to take Rhode's advice, and offer a humid hide
    Just a tip, might need to make sure those humid hides are only offered during shed cycles.

A lot of snakes that don't require high humidity outside of shed can develop skin conditions if they start to get "addicted" to staying in a humid hide all the time. Might not be a problem and it might be perfectly ok to keep one in the enclosure but keep an eye out if they start to stay in there all the time.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

distaff (09-22-2017),Godzilla78 (09-22-2017)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Brian's video was also discussed in this thread and my response is there (I'm in the same area as Brian): https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...umidity-really
    For the Horde!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast