Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,371

2 members and 1,369 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some neat stuff

Thanks

Some neat stuff

Due to be released this weekend once the weather stops being terrible:

Northern gannet, found stranded on Marconi beach. Found tangled in fishing line with a lure hooked through the left wing and breast, poor waterproofing, a nasty feather lice infestation and intestinal parasites. Blood work showed a massive infection, and she was roughly 700 grams underweight.

Waterproofing has been fantastic, infection is gone and fecals have been coming back clean. She's up 500 grams, physical therapy has returned full motion to the left wing and swim sessions have been 100%.

The infamous bad attitude of adult gannets has come back full force, too. I've got some pretty terrible bruises I'm really excited to release her, though. She's been with me for just about two months, and during the first week I was convinced she wasn't going to make it.

Also due for release:

Handsome eastern milk that got stuck in a glue trap. Treated for a few concealed deglovements and intestinal parasites. I've only had him for just over two weeks and wanted to release him as quickly as possible. He's taken his second dosage of anti-parasitic meds and has healed nicely, so off he goes~

And for your cuteness overload, my last remaining squirrel orphans Two gray squirrel siblings and one red squirrel.

Grey squirrels will give birth in the spring and early summer, but will sometimes have a second dray in late summer/early fall.

The red squirrel baby is an anomaly. I've never seen one this late in the year. I may have to fill out some paperwork and winter her, but I'm waiting to hear from a friend who deals exclusively with squirrels for a second opinion.

Thanks for looking~
    Last edited by KayLynn; 09-21-2017 at 08:39 PM.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to KayLynn For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (09-22-2017),Craiga 01453 (09-22-2017),dr del (09-22-2017),EDR (09-22-2017),Fraido (09-23-2017),Jules623 (09-21-2017),rlditmars (09-22-2017),the_rotten1 (09-22-2017),Trisnake (10-01-2017),tttaylorrr (09-21-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    That bird is gorgeous! Holy schmola! Great work btw. You have my dream job.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

KayLynn (09-21-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    Nice animals. thanks!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

KayLynn (09-21-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Absolutely gorgeous bird.
    Never heard of an Eastern Milk. Off to look up. (I would have guessed maybe Fox Snake.)
    Those squirrels are too cute...and, I don't even like squirrels. They are all head!

The one time I had to take a snake off a glue trap, I found regular paper towels to be very helpful. Somehow, the glue was more attracted to the fuzzy paper than it was to the snake, sort of catching up all the sticky, and snake came off easier than I expected, and with no visible damage.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (09-21-2017),KayLynn (09-21-2017)

Thanks

Re: Some neat stuff

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    Absolutely gorgeous bird.
    Never heard of an Eastern Milk. Off to look up. (I would have guessed maybe Fox Snake.)
    Those squirrels are too cute...and, I don't even like squirrels. They are all head!

The one time I had to take a snake off a glue trap, I found regular paper towels to be very helpful. Somehow, the glue was more attracted to the fuzzy paper than it was to the snake, sort of catching up all the sticky, and snake came off easier than I expected, and with no visible damage.
    http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Snak...rn-Milk-Snake/ I used mineral oil and got him off rather quickly, but he'd been struggling for who knows how long before he was brought to me so the damage had already been done.

And the squirrels are all head because of malnutrition. They were orphaned and had been starving for however long before they were brought to me. The gray squirrels are filling out into more normal proportions for their age, but the red squirrel is still putting on weight and getting healthy.
    Last edited by KayLynn; 09-21-2017 at 09:19 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

thank you for your work, and sharing your work with us!!! what beautiful animals that now have a better chance because of you.

you're awesome, and the photos are wonderful!!!
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

KayLynn (09-21-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    thank you for your work, and sharing your work with us!!! what beautiful animals that now have a better chance because of you.

you're awesome, and the photos are wonderful!!!
    Thank you!! 🤗

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Awesome animals and HUGE props to you and the work you do. Thanks for sharing!!!

I would love to get out of the restaurant/kitchen and work with animals, but I wouldn't even know where to begin. At 38 going back to school and a complete career change is kinda scary.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

KayLynn (09-22-2017),Sunnieskys (09-22-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Awesome animals and HUGE props to you and the work you do. Thanks for sharing!!!

I would love to get out of the restaurant/kitchen and work with animals, but I wouldn't even know where to begin. At 38 going back to school and a complete career change is kinda scary.
    A wildlife rehabilitation permit doesn't require courses in MA. You have to study for a test and as long as you can pass the exam with 80% or more you're licensed to rehab. If you want to do migratory species or marine wildlife like seals, you have to get additional federal licensing. It's not too bad though, and the exam isn't too terrible as long as you're prepared. The worst part was memorizing all the native and migratory birds, and then memorizing medications and dosages. As far as practicing goes, I decided to do an internship and took a follow up job doing it for a while just to make sure I wouldn't kill things by mistake. There are also occasional classes that you can attend where you're taught how to draw blood and do subQ's and whatnot, but I'm not sure when or where they happen. The last one I had my eye on was in RI.

90% of my work history has been with animals, but jobs in the field are really limited on the Cape so I decided that I'd just do it on my own and make money doodling for people. I'd love to work at the New England Wildlife Center or at Tufts but I'd have to commute or move, and trying to get over the bridge in the summer or during holiday is a type of hell I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Anyways, sleep deprived rambling aside, if you ever decide it's something you want to look into feel free to ask and I'll give you a good list of books to have
    Last edited by KayLynn; 09-22-2017 at 07:08 AM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KayLynn For This Useful Post:

distaff (09-22-2017),Trisnake (10-01-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Red face Re: Some neat stuff

Quote Originally Posted by KayLynn View Post
    A wildlife rehabilitation permit doesn't require courses in MA. You have to study for a test and as long as you can pass the exam with 80% or more you're licensed to rehab. If you want to do migratory species or marine wildlife like seals, you have to get additional federal licensing. It's not too bad though, and the exam isn't too terrible as long as you're prepared. The worst part was memorizing all the native and migratory birds, and then memorizing medications and dosages. As far as practicing goes, I decided to do an internship and took a follow up job doing it for a while just to make sure I wouldn't kill things by mistake. There are also occasional classes that you can attend where you're taught how to draw blood and do subQ's and whatnot, but I'm not sure when or where they happen. The last one I had my eye on was in RI.

90% of my work history has been with animals, but jobs in the field are really limited on the Cape so I decided that I'd just do it on my own and make money doodling for people. I'd love to work at the New England Wildlife Center or at Tufts but I'd have to commute or move, and trying to get over the bridge in the summer or during holiday is a type of hell I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Anyways, sleep deprived rambling aside, if you ever decide it's something you want to look into feel free to ask and I'll give you a good list of books to have
    Hmmm... I may have to pick your brain a bit at some point. I considered Vet Tech school, but, quite frankly, I'm scared to make such a huge life change at this point in my life. I've been working in kitchens and tending bars for about 24 years and feel like that's my safe haven, because it's what I know. But my passion is LLLOOOONNNGGGG gone. My boss's son is a musician who is also into camera work and production. When I see his face light up when he talks about his work I just feel so happy for him. I want that look on my face when I talk about my work. Since I have lost my passion for the restaurant industry, I am considering my passion for animals as a possible career change, but have found myself procrastinating out of fear. I'm not passionate about my work any more, but I'm comfortable. I know I'm good at what I do and it's easy to just do my job. I want to test myself, push myself, learn something new, but dammit it's scary to take the first steps and make the change.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

KayLynn (09-22-2017),Sunnieskys (09-22-2017),Trisnake (10-01-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast