The Complete Suboc, by Dusty Rhoads.

As I posted before, I recently purchased a Trans Pecos Ratsnake. While waiting for his arrival, I came across some odd information on them, and decided that a book by an expert might be a better reference than some of the strange claims on finds on the net. I wanted to be confidant of the husbandry.

After the snake arrived, I was glad the book was on the way, because the snake had some unexpected features: The head was large and well defined, and the eyes were not the big bug-eyes with such prominent silvery irises that I was expecting. This book has a LOT of clear full-colour photos. I finally realized that most of the pics I had seen of Trans Pecos snakes were of cute juveniles. I had ordered an adult, and he did match the pics of other adults in the book. That was a relief - I thought perhaps I had an odd hybrid or inergrade.

The book is on quality thick paper, and well made. Similar to Vin Russo's book on Boa Constrictors. It is a serious study of the species, natural history, genetics, and care, not just a how-to for a pet. $30-something on Amazon. Worth the money.