Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,792

2 members and 2,790 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Lavender Albino or not?

The temps were 89 +/- 1/2 degree the entire 56 days. I put the eggs in two groups of five into two tuperwares. They all hatched within 14 hours and each group of five was stuck together.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by asplundii View Post
    Candino eyes do not look like that. Especially not at hatching
    Well, certainly the camera and the photo can be deceptive as to showing the exact eye coloration. I think the color is subjective. Was it a flash photo or indoor lighting, etc?

Lavs typically hatch out looking like normal Albinos and their colouring flushes in as they age
    That same phenomenon occurs with Candinos as well. I just hatched out a clutch of Candinos and they look different almost high contrast compared to the phenotypical albinos.

Based on the fact that the whole animal is pigmented my inclination is to say it is just genetic variation just popping out and surprising you a bit and the animal is a regular Lav that happened to start colouring up significantly earlier than expected. Odd question -- What were your incubation temps and was this specific animal's egg someplace where it would have been colder than the rest of the eggs?
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Thanks

Lavs typically hatch out looking like normal Albinos and their colouring flushes in as they age

Based on the fact that the whole animal is pigmented my inclination is to say it is just genetic variation just popping out and surprising you a bit and the animal is a regular Lav that happened to start colouring up significantly earlier than expected. Odd question -- What were your incubation temps and was this specific animal's egg someplace where it would have been colder than the rest of the eggs?
    Well certainly the camere and flash can have a deceptive showing of the true eye color. The darker ruby eye coloration is what I attribute to the Candino gene. OP is saying this hatchlings eye color is black.

I just hatched out a clutch of Candinos and you can see the difference in the phenotypical albinos vs. candino. I do believe this could just be a random genetic occurrence in the eye color. Remember the sire is het pied I believe.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 09-22-2017 at 10:26 AM.

Thanks

This is one of the Candinos that I hatched out August 23, '17. Notice the darker ruby eye color.

Thanks

This is one of the albinos from the same clutch..

Thanks

Here are the four different babies from the clutch together.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Yeah, big difference in overall coloration in the odd one. Not just the eyes. I think also by there being 10 eggs laid and the two hets, the seven visual lavenders, may have played a role in the random discoloration of the odd one also.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 09-22-2017 at 02:17 PM.

Thanks

My best theory as to what morph the black eyed baby is as follows: The parents are by coincidence both het for Axanthic and the black eyed baby and one of the two normal babies to me display this gene. As for explaining the black eyes on the oddly colored lavender albino baby I have found photos of axanthic lavender albino balls with both black and red eyes. I'll post more photos as the baby matures. I have an adult female pied that surprisingly proved to be het for albino when I bred her with a male albino het for pied. I believe many of our ball pythons carry genes from previous generations being bred to recessive animals and babies were unknowingly het for these recessive traits and never proven out. Thanks for everyone's input on this puzzle.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to piedpiperballs For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (09-23-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piedpiperballs View Post
    My best theory as to what morph the black eyed baby is as follows: The parents are by coincidence both het for Axanthic and the black eyed baby and one of the two normal babies to me display this gene. As for explaining the black eyes on the oddly colored lavender albino baby I have found photos of axanthic lavender albino balls with both black and red eyes. I'll post more photos as the baby matures. I have an adult female pied that surprisingly proved to be het for albino when I bred her with a male albino het for pied. I believe many of our ball pythons carry genes from previous generations being bred to recessive animals and babies were unknowingly het for these recessive traits and never proven out. Thanks for everyone's input on this puzzle.
    Nice theory... plenty of possibilities for sure. Love when those hets prove out especially a pied anything..lol.. Did you get albino pied visuals out of that pairing?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    Nice theory... plenty of possibilities for sure. Love when those hets prove out especially a pied anything..lol.. Did you get albino pied visuals out of that pairing?
    Unfortunately the male albino het for pied did not prove out the pied gene so I got visual albinos het pied and double het pied/albino. I'm still happy with the results since I have a 3000 gram female pied 100% het for albino and will end up with albino/pieds sooner than I had planned.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast