Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,905

1 members and 1,904 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

General questions about new tank/tub

Hey guys!

Im planning on adopting a new little noodle, hoping to get a jigsaw, I just feel in love with the morph and I was wondering what did you guys think would be more convenient, a 20 gallon tank to start or a tub, I'm not very familiar with the tubs to be honest with you, I have a 40 gallon tank set up for my first noodle and he's doing great, but I wanted to see how to go about getting a single tub for jigsaw noodle when we are ready to get started, any advice on where to look for the right tub or an easy guide to make it my own? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Here's a picture of noodle being a green tree python lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    He is Camo snek. I just realized his head is resting on his body lol. Cute little snoot for the booping.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

hector.4191 (09-21-2017)

Thanks
    Nice looking snake.

I'd personally go with a tub, as it is cheaper, easier to maintain humidity, and you could always upgrade to a tank, tub ,etc. when it gets larger.

There should be a tub setup guide here on the forum somewhere (I think it is either a sticky under general BP or BP Husbandry forums). It is very good and has pics to go by.

I use stand alone tubs for my quarantine setups (which, BTW, you'll want to keep the new noodle away from your current one for a couple months to prevent disease transfer just in case).

You will need a tub... get one that has as flat of a bottom as possible and is large enough for 2 hides, the water bowl, and some extra room for crawling.

You will need a thermometer. I like the Accurite ones that are indoor / outdoor and have a probe and humidity gauge. You can monitor hot spot temp, cool ambient temp, and humidity in one unit with those.

A heat pad that is large enough to cover 1/4 - 1/3 of the tub bottom...I like to use Ultratherms from reptile basics for mine.

A thermostat- For quarantine / temporary setups, I use a hydrofarm / jumpstart one that I get off amazon.

Some security measures for the tub top: I like to use either binder / bulldog clips or luggage straps to prevent them from pushing out of the top.

The sticky about tub setup should help you figure out where to place everything... I will note that you may need to purchase a drill or soldering iron to poke some holes for ventilation in the tub. I use a soldering iron I got off amazon for ~$9.

Good luck!
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

5. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

hector.4191 (09-21-2017)

Thanks

Re: General questions about new tank/tub

Thank you for the quick answer, is t recommended to start off with a 32 quart tub? Any opinions on the heatmats that come with the thermometer controller thing included like...

Motina
    3.9 out of 5 stars 40 Reviews
    Pet Mat, Motina Reptile Heating Pad 110v Reptile under Tank Warmer Mat Heat Pad With Temperature Controller

Or would it be better to buy them separate? Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Size of tub depends on the size of the snake. The length + width of the tub (the footprint) should be as long or a longer than the snake is. IMO it is better to get a tub that is a little large and add stuff to clutter it up. You can then remove the clutter as the snake grows.

I would avoid the ones with the built in controllers... They can be very unreliable. You're better off with a separate thermostat. I like the ultratherm UTHs because they don't heat up as fast or as hot as some others out there, so they are a little safer in the event of a failure or malfunction. I have not used the particular heat mat you listed, so you may want to post somewhere else in the forum asking for opinions on it.

Here is a link to the tub setup sticky I mentioned.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS