Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,845

1 members and 2,844 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Comparable or no?

There was a discussion of tubs vs. tanks on another site and a user compared large scale BP breeding to puppy mills.

What do you guys think is this comparison accurate or no? I'm neutral on the point and will explain why later.
    1.0- Pastel het Pied- Khaa

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    Not gonna touch the puppy mill part of that question, but it sure sounds familiar. lol As I recall that guy burned his bridges here pretty fast. lol As far as tubs go though, I think they make it easy to provide a habitat that replicates bp habitat in the wild and you can def make efficient use of space with them.

Thanks

Re: Comparable or no?

Quote Originally Posted by PythonBabes View Post
    There was a discussion of tubs vs. tanks on another site and a user compared large scale BP breeding to puppy mills.

What do you guys think is this comparison accurate or no? I'm neutral on the point and will explain why later.
    I personally don't think so. The animals and care are different, just like a person who knows what they are doing can own 20+ snakes and such but there is never a situation where someone can adequately care for 20 dogs. Dogs need exercise, attention, training, room to run, varied diet ect. Now a snake as long as you have the knowledge and income to provide proper husbandry then all you really HAVE to do is feed them and clean the enclosure. Handling is for your benefit not theirs.

Now if you had so many you couldn't give them the proper care, such as you aren't able to clean their enclosures when they need because there are so many and stuff like that then that's another story, but larger breeders tend to hire employees once they get to big to help make sure they are all cared for.

Breeding also works differently with snakes, dogs only should really have a max of 6 litters or so I their lifetime whereas snakes this isn't really the case. Sure they may need to take a year or so off if they lose a lot of weight or seem ill but having lots of clutches doesn't really effect them as much.

So in my opinion they aren't really comparable, they are different animals with different needs and very different care requirements. As long as a breeder has the knowledge and means to care for their animals I don't see the problem with the owning/breeding lots of snakes

Sent from my LG-D690 using Tapatalk

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BluuWolf For This Useful Post:

EDR (09-20-2017),Godzilla78 (09-20-2017),Trisnake (09-20-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cletus View Post
    Not gonna touch the puppy mill part of that question, but it sure sounds familiar. lol As I recall that guy burned his bridges here pretty fast. lol As far as tubs go though, I think they make it easy to provide a habitat that replicates bp habitat in the wild and you can def make efficient use of space with them.
    That's assuming that they spend their whole lives ( 24/7 , 365 ) in a termite mound or hollowed out tree root - as seems to be widely accepted, I recall a recent discussion on this very topic a month or so ago in here .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Yes, I am speaking of the BP's living conditions here.

I do not think it is fair to keep a snake in a tub with only a water bowl, and SOMETIMES a hide, all their life like most large scale breeders do is fair. I think thats the sad part about it. Sure they are called 'pet rocks', but that does not mean that they don't need any mental stimulation.

Surviving and thriving are two different things.
    1.0- Pastel het Pied- Khaa

Thanks
    Different animals with different sets of needs.... The term "puppy mill" is implying that the dogs are confined to a very small cage, unable to move (often the cage is barely enough for them to lay down, etc.), they are not cleaned, they are not treated for illnesses, and they are not given any personal attention in the form of training, etc, and they don't have access to proper food / water.

Dogs are social and extremely active...As in needing to walk / run miles a day. They are pack animals and must have social interactions to be "healthy". They also have a lot of physical issues that can go wrong when housed as they are in puppy mills...i.e. long-haired toy breeds that aren't groomed can develop mats which cause infection and suffering. Being housed on wire floors can cause sores on their foot pads, etc.

Now. There most certainly are keepers (breeders and owners) that keep reptiles and other animals in conditions similar to what you'd see in a puppy mill...foul enclosures, no access to clean water, infrequent food / starvation, no medical treatment, etc. But we'd just call that being a bad owner and neglect / abuse of the animal. I saw such a case when I went to a "serpentarium" when I was on vacation...it was disgusting.. months' worth of sheds, poo, foul or no water, etc. These animals had large, but empty, enclosures and were kept in these horrid conditions.

From those standards in place, you can only draw one parallel between puppy mills and the standard way of breeding BPs here, which is housing... If all of the other needs are being met and the animals look healthy, then they are receiving the proper care, diet, medical attention, have clean access to water, etc. Snakes are not "social" so you can take that factor out as well.

With housing, it gets tricky because there are no hard studies of how active BPs are in the wild (that I know of) for us to compare to. I know that personally, whenever I have my BPs out, they seek to go into a dark tight place and hide...always. I don't see any explorative behavior in mine, they just want to leave and hide. This is in contrast to my boa constrictors who always want to go and explore, seek high places, and climb. Now, I only own 4 BPs, so I have a small sample size to compare. It is known that they spend a significant portion of their lives in burrows / mounds in confined spaces. How much / what percentage? That is the part we are unsure of. This drastically conflicts with dogs, who do not spend a significant portion of their lives confined in the wild (as wolves) which makes confining them for long periods a very unnatural thing that they aren't mentally prepared to handle.

Something else to note would be that many animals who lack mental stimulation or proper environment in captivity will often exhibit negative behaviors... You can see this in zoos where animals "pace" the cage, do repetitive behaviors, or in animals like birds, monkeys, etc. that will self-mutilate if their mental / social needs are not being met, even with cats in a shelter environment, you will see them sitting in their litter box, which is a sign of high stress. I would hazard that if BPs were suffering from confinement in a mental way, you would see similar behaviors in them, which we don't. There are cases of rubbing/ pushing, particularly in retics, but those are usually related to either wanting to eat or mate and trying to leave the enclosure to do so.

I do believe housing should allow the snake to do all of the behaviors that it would naturally.. so, that would be to stretch out, to move around, to coil up, and to hide. To facilitate this, I have mine in the largest tub rack readily available, which is the V70. In this rack, my females can do all of the behaviors I noted and I even have room for hides. They can still fully stretch out, slither around the tub, etc. IMO keeping a snake in a tub or enclosure where they cannot fully stretch out or thermoregulate is not humane. But, for most species, there are tubs / rack sizes available that allow them to do all of these behaviors, so it is more a matter of size.

IMO a better comparison, if you wanted to compare a part of the hobby to puppy mills, would be wholesalers / distributors that sell to large chain stores. Many of these house animals together in small enclosures, don't provide medical care or proper diet, and often have very poor practices in terms of animal welfare...Even going so far as to leave dead animals in with the living, freezing animals alive, etc. There are breeders that could be lumped into that as well, but generally, breeders are concerned with the health of their animals as unhealthy / sickly ones do not breed well.

I think you really have to evaluate breeders (and other businesses / owners) on a case-by-case basis. How they house and care for their animals should be a consideration before you purchase from someone.

You won't find many people that are anti-tub, because the animals have been shown to do well in these conditions (i.e. live, eat, breed, without sickness or negative effects). So you are basically trying to prove that it is harmful even though there are no signs. Now, I believe, as I stated above, that the animals should be given enough room to do natural behaviors, etc. and there are some people housing them in tubs that are too small IMO, but that is something you'd have to look at on a case-by-case basis. Many breeders / owners state that they move an animal up in a tub size and the animal shows negative behaviors (stress, not eating, etc.) and thus they move it back down, so some allowance for individual animals has to be taken into account. Some find an animal stresses in a tub and move it into a larger tub or pvc cage, so there are different circumstances for different animals and owners.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (09-20-2017),Craiga 01453 (09-20-2017),distaff (09-21-2017),DLena (09-20-2017),L.West (09-20-2017),Trisnake (09-20-2017),zina10 (09-20-2017)

Registered User thebrowntroutdude's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think they are comparable at all, except for the fact they both produce animals. GOOD ball python breeders pay close attention to their snakes. I'm sure there are bad breeders that have sick snakes with mites and stuck shed ect... Puppy Mills do not provide proper care for their animals, breeders do. Ball pythons can benefit from a more dynamic habitat, but they can still thrive in a rack system when given the proper attention.(I think it gets more questionable with more mobile snakes like bulls or Kings). Remember guys, all the morphs and combos we love are made possibly by the breeders.
    "Let us take the adventure Aslan has set before us"
    1.0 Bullsnake "Garfield"
    0.1 rainbow boa "Cecilia"
    1.0 spider BP "Barry"
    1.1 western terrestrial garter "Dragon and Carol"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    That's assuming that they spend their whole lives ( 24/7 , 365 ) in a termite mound or hollowed out tree root - as seems to be widely accepted, I recall a recent discussion on this very topic a month or so ago in here .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oops .... didn't make it clear that there's a different view that they DON'T actually spend every second of their lives in a hole

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    I don't find it comparable at all. Rack systems are designed to keep the snakes at the correct temperature and humidity, and for ease of cleaning so the snake doesn't get an RI, scale rot, burned, etc. Most snakes also prefer to be in their tubs; many of mine dive under their hides when the tub is opened. They like it in there and do not want to come out.

Compare that to a dog from a puppy mill which is often riddled with parasites, has parvo or kennel cough, is underweight, filthy, has fleas, etc.

Thanks

Surely they dive away because they're hidden away from everything . My Royals are all in vivs and come to life in the evenings and get all inquisitive if they're in the slightest bit hungry ... No sign of any nervousness at ANY time .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast