Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,222

0 members and 2,222 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

100% Hemp bedding for BP?

Hi.
    I've run into this item and im wondering is it healthy for snakes? Anyone used it?
    Says 100% hemp, no dust.. so guess no pine either...

Here is the substrat:
    http://www.zooplus.com/shop/rodents/...5227?rrec=true

If anyone has suggestions for a WEB SITE with reptile stuff that delivers to Europe PLEASE send me the link, I have one or two substrate to choose from where I live.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: 100% Hemp bedding for BP?

It's always good to explore new products but I do see one big red flag in the item description:

"HUGROŽ absorbs 1.5 times more moisture than linen-based litter and twice as much as wood pellets"

I think this would leave you with an uphill battle to keep your humidity requirements. That's my opinion at least. I wouldn't use it.

Not to mention, if being sustainable is your concern...it's hard to beat newspaper that you were going to recycle anyways.

I believe (don't hold me to this) that LLL Reptile ships to Europe....or at least they don't have any restrictions listed on their website besides

"We cannot ship any aerosol products (including Provent-a-mite), liquids, Vision products, or glass internationally. Some large sized items may be unable to ship to some countries."

http://www.lllreptile.com/store/policies/international

You should be able to call them right now and ask.
    Last edited by KevinK; 09-19-2017 at 12:37 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

Pitonica (09-20-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Hemp is not mold resistant at all, doesn't work well for retaining moisture while not staying damp and mushy, and is not really a durable material in loose form. This is nothing like hemp clothing, its is essentially straw. I may or may not have experience with something related to this

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

distaff (09-20-2017),Thorbp (09-19-2017)

Thanks
    Inversely, I use hemp bedding from Old Dominion (they come to our local exotics show).

Does need to be changed more frequently, but it tends to hold the moisture and pack itself up like a mulch. Best luck I've had with it is putting it in dry, dampening it to the point it starts to cling to itself but doesn't have loose water, then putting everything else back in his enclosure.

He seems to like that it stays fluffy enough to let him burrow, but retains water better than some options like aspen. I'd really liken it more to a softer cypress mulch, but that doesn't retain humidity quite as easily on its own. But we'll see if my tune changes when he's upgraded to a full on large tub later this year vs his current 20GL housing.

Ultimately, for $15 a bale it's already going to last me a year+ even with the changes.
    Last edited by hollowlaughter; 09-19-2017 at 05:51 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hollowlaughter View Post
    Inversely, I use hemp bedding from Old Dominion (they come to our local exotics show).

Does need to be changed more frequently, but it tends to hold the moisture and pack itself up like a mulch. Best luck I've had with it is putting it in dry, dampening it to the point it starts to cling to itself but doesn't have loose water, then putting everything else back in his enclosure.

He seems to like that it stays fluffy enough to let him burrow, but retains water better than some options like aspen. I'd really liken it more to a softer cypress mulch, but that doesn't retain humidity quite as easily on its own. But we'll see if my tune changes when he's upgraded to a full on large tub later this year vs his current 20GL housing.

Ultimately, for $15 a bale it's already going to last me a year+ even with the changes.
    Says its great for humidity and all else. Sounds great.. But I can't order from USA. Hope this European one is good for my bp.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    Hemp is not mold resistant at all, doesn't work well for retaining moisture while not staying damp and mushy, and is not really a durable material in loose form. This is nothing like hemp clothing, its is essentially straw. I may or may not have experience with something related to this
    Where I live its realy high humidity so that is not an issue. I change his bedding and disinfect every month so if this is not toxic I would try, just trying to find out more web pages to order from.