Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,956

0 members and 2,956 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    I have noticed that a "strike" position always entails some quivering, as their muscles are all tensed up and their heads and necks kind of "shake" a little, just before they strike. Like when you tense up your arm really, really hard, and your arm shakes a bit.

If they are in an s-shape neck, but they are not TENSED up with their muscles, they have always been docile at that point. I have only one hatchling that won't let me handle him yet, and he always tenses up and gets all S-S-S sss ed up with tense muscles whenever I check on him. He strikes at anything anywhere near his face, lol. I have named him Snappy.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (09-19-2017)

Thanks

Re: Handling Questions - For Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    I have noticed that a "strike" position always entails some quivering, as their muscles are all tensed up and their heads and necks kind of "shake" a little, just before they strike. Like when you tense up your arm really, really hard, and your arm shakes a bit.

If they are in an s-shape neck, but they are not TENSED up with their muscles, they have always been docile at that point. I have only one hatchling that won't let me handle him yet, and he always tenses up and gets all S-S-S sss ed up with tense muscles whenever I check on him. He strikes at anything anywhere near his face, lol. I have named him Snappy.
    Can you tell from this picture if this is a striking pose or just being cautious?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Can you tell from this picture if this is a striking pose or just being cautious?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Looks just cautious to me, but I would have to see a video to tell if it was tensed up or not. My snakes get in that position just for the hell of it sometimes, even when hanging out relaxed in their enclosure.
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 09-19-2017 at 09:40 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (09-19-2017)

Thanks
    Also.. if they are really ticked off, they will shake their tail like a rattlesnake with no rattles.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (09-19-2017)

Thanks

With more frequent handling they truly do mellow out. Most of mine are puppy dog tame. Except my albino girl I am a firm believer she despises me with a passion lol. Bites from them are Nothing. Honestly I have been tagged quiet a few times, and I never notice I was bitten until I see the blood after the fact. Nothing to be afraid of. Enjoy your pet and grow together.
    Samantha C.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Scosta56 For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (09-19-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    The picture you posted looks more cautious than about to strike. Honestly, if your snake was going to behave aggressively toward you you'd know by now. And ball pythons aren't typically so singlemindedly food-oriented as to strike at anything that moves just because it's been a whole three days since they ate.

You might be intimidated because you think of your snake as a predator, which it is; but it's also a prey species, especially as a baby. Think of it more like a baby bunny but without the giant incisors - pretty much defenseless. The cautious S-bend is really about pulling the head in to protect it, maybe hiding his head under a loop of his body if he gets even more nervous. The next step is balling up.

If possible, rather than worry about whether your snake might bite you, try to concentrate on making the time spent out of the cage as positive and unintimidating for the snake as you can. A young snake is likely to be scared of bright lighting, wide open or exposed spaces such as bare tabletops, things passing overhead. I think it's also helpful to take him out of the cage when he's already out and about rather than when he's snoozing. No one likes to be hauled out of bed to go for a "walk".

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Coluber42 For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (09-20-2017)

Thanks
    Cautious.

This is more "about to strike", in terms of "MOTHER IT IS TIME TO FEAST".

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hollowlaughter For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (09-20-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    Sounds like you're doing well with your little guy! Glad you started this thread because it will be time for my first handling session soon. I've officially had my third successful meal with Tapioca!
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    Sounds like you're doing well with your little guy! Glad you started this thread because it will be time for my first handling session soon. I've officially had my third successful meal with Tapioca!
    So far so good! Switched over feeding size last night from a medium mouse to a large mouse. Put the mouse in the cage and came back 2 hours later and it was gone.

As for handling, this thread has been a big confidence booster for me. I was always hesitant when seeing the curved necked but since reading these great responses, I've been able to boost my confidence while enjoying the handling session. Hope it continues that way.

Hope your little guy is eating well and that you can start to enjoy the handling sessions.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (09-22-2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12