Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,847

1 members and 2,846 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snake haters

Thanks

Re: Snake haters

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    It's not really a topic that comes up, unless someone is visiting the house, or I'm around other snake keepers. I'd rather most people didn't know. I actually think the grub bins and hissing cockroaches would bother people more. I don't discuss the tarantulas I'll be getting either.

Conversations tend to be easier when I just stick to topics that the other person finds interesting. I'm an introvert; I don't socialize much anyway.
    I'm also an introvert haha but it mainly comes from family or people online, and my family can be very judgmental lol

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aes1004 View Post
    I'm also an introvert haha but it mainly comes from family or people online, and my family can be very judgmental lol

Sent from my iPhone
    For me, family is the easiest to talk to about it. They are more understanding and willing to listen than a stranger or even friends sometimes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MmmBanana View Post
    For me, family is the easiest to talk to about it. They are more understanding and willing to listen than a stranger or even friends sometimes.
    I have younger sisters that love them but it's more of the older generations lol they are from the south so when they see a snake they want it dead.

Sent from my iPhone

4. The Following User Says Thank You to aes1004 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (09-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    I just kinda respect it. Throwing it in their face is the worse thing you can do in my opinion. I don't really advertise that I keep snakes anyways. If someone is visiting and it comes up, I will show them snakes if they want to see them.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (09-19-2017),Zincubus (09-19-2017)

Thanks

I don't know why but it comes up in my life a lot XD People are always asking me what animals I have at work and I don't lie about it. There have for sure been a few that give me strange looks or say that it's gonna eat me or something and I will usually just calmly correct them and end the conversation by saying I understand, they aren't for everyone and moving on.

More often then not though they will be initially shocked then very curious. I get almost daily questions now about snakes and even requests to take videos of him eating or just slithering around XD I have changed quite a few peoples opinions here I think and that makes me happy, snakes are so misunderstood.

Sent from my LG-D690 using Tapatalk

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BluuWolf For This Useful Post:

aes1004 (09-18-2017),PokeyTheNinja (09-19-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I find that when I start talking about interesting aspects of snakes' biology, behavior, evolution, and how those things are so different between different snake species, people eventually realize that snakes are just animals like everything else, and that there's more to them than most people assume. I explain things like how they smell with their tongues and how the fork gives them a directional sense, or the fact that a snake (even a teeny tiny blind snake, which I find just incredible) basically has most the same major organs doing the same jobs that a human does, just modified to fit in a different shaped package.
    They also realize that I really do know a lot more than they do about an animal that turns out to be more complicated and interesting than they ever thought. That doesn't turn them into a snake lover or anything, but demystifying the whole group of animals helps get past their initial knee-jerk reaction.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Coluber42 For This Useful Post:

aes1004 (09-18-2017),DLena (09-19-2017),PokeyTheNinja (09-19-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cletus View Post
    I just kinda respect it. Throwing it in their face is the worse thing you can do in my opinion. I don't really advertise that I keep snakes anyways. If someone is visiting and it comes up, I will show them snakes if they want to see them.
    Yeah I can understand that but I'm one of those people that just likes to take pictures of my animals. I don't think it's a bad thing I mainly post them to Instagram but I do post a few on Facebook which is where I get the hate comments. I see it as people post pictures of their animals all the time so I will to because I enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone

12. The Following User Says Thank You to aes1004 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (09-19-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aes1004 View Post
    Yeah I can understand that but I'm one of those people that just likes to take pictures of my animals. I don't think it's a bad thing I mainly post them to Instagram but I do post a few on Facebook which is where I get the hate comments. I see it as people post pictures of their animals all the time so I will to because I enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone
    Def. I post pictures of mine on here and on facebook. Snakes groups etc. I share my passion with those around me and online who are into it, but I'm not trying to shock people with them or push them on people that don't like them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cletus View Post
    Def. I post pictures of mine on here and on facebook. Snakes groups etc. I share my passion with those around me and online who are into it, but I'm not trying to shock people with them or push them on people that don't like them.
    Yeah I don't do that either. It's just something I guess I won't understand, I don't go shoving them in their face but they still want to say something bad about having snakes.

Sent from my iPhone

15. The Following User Says Thank You to aes1004 For This Useful Post:

CKan145 (09-22-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Snake haters

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    It's not really a topic that comes up, unless someone is visiting the house, or I'm around other snake keepers. I'd rather most people didn't know. I actually think the grub bins and hissing cockroaches would bother people more. I don't discuss the tarantulas I'll be getting either.

Conversations tend to be easier when I just stick to topics that the other person finds interesting. I'm an introvert; I don't socialize much anyway.
    You make some excellent points and that last paragraph could be me !

I used to tell anyone and everyone that I kept snakes and most were either impressed or at least interested BUT there was the odd one or two that were either disgusted or accused me of cruelty for keeping them locked in a viv when ' they should be free in the wild' .... I tell absolutely NOBODY nowadays ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Zincubus; 09-19-2017 at 06:08 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast