Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,599

0 members and 2,599 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Hognose: The good, bad and ugly....

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    I had feeding issues with my male. Started off eating f/t pinkies (unscented) as advertised by the breeder. Within ~3 months, he decided that he was deathly afraid of tongs / hands and thus, would no longer take non-moving f/t prey. I got him to take live rat pinks a few times (which I didn't regularly have available) so I ended up rehoming him to someone who produced live for him and he is now doing fine. With me, he got into pretty much starvation condition due to constant feeding strikes, etc. so I was glad to place him with someone who could produce live regularly to feed him.

Due to that experience, I haven't been back for another try lol. If I do, I'll go with a well-established juvie female that is eating unscented f/t in hopes that she will be a good feeder.

On the good side, they are cute and active and seem to be pretty hardy.

Mine never bit, so I can't attest to how I'd react to the venom.
    My I ask what you mean by "unscented" prey? Is it just like the mice and or rats you buy at the pet stores??

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jus1More View Post
    My I ask what you mean by "unscented" prey? Is it just like the mice and or rats you buy at the pet stores??
    People refer to scented or unscented with hognose because many hatchlings have to be started on scented prey, this describe the process of scenting a pinky mouse with egg, tuna, chicken, or salmon etc to get them started with their first few meals.

When you buy an hatchling that feeds on unscented prey this mean all you have to offer is a mouse.

I do not recommend buying an hatchling unless it eats unscented prey and is well started.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-20-2017),Jus1More (09-20-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    People refer to scented or unscented with hognose because many hatchlings have to be started on scented prey, this describe the process of scenting a pinky mouse with egg, tuna, chicken, or salmon etc to get them started with their first few meals.

When you buy an hatchling that feeds on unscented prey this mean all you have to offer is a mouse.

I do not recommend buying an hatchling unless it eats unscented prey and is well started.
    Exactly what she said. I forget where I saw it, but one of the main breeders of morph hogs was interviewed in a video and he showed the host some scenting items in his freezer... a frog, toad, lizard, chicken, and I think he also noted that he had ever used tuna / salmon. You rub the prey item with the scented item to fool the hog into eating it as they natural eat frogs / lizards in the wild.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

5. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Jus1More (09-20-2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12